Aldi - Dashcam! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
This Sunday 20 November I see that Aldi have a decent looking Dash Cam on offer at £39.99. What do the experts out there think of it?

colyboy

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't buy one without GPS.
When you need it as evidence of what happened you also need evidence of your exact speed (if it was a safe speed), the location, time and date.

I had an incident in Spain three years ago and apart from the road positioning the recorded speed denied the other party any opportunity of arguing I had been travelling 'to fast' and kept me 100% in the clear. His insurance paid out 100% of the repair bill.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We are also looking at the one in aldi
but also think that gps is important
can anyone recommend a reasonably
priced one please.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are also looking at the one in aldi
but also think that gps is important
can anyone recommend a reasonably
priced one please.
I've been using a Mio Mivue 518 for about 18 months and very pleased with it. It is no longer available, the Broken Link Removed is the current equivalent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We've got one of the Lidle electrical stores locally (there are precious few of them) & they do a dash cam for a tenner. If you can find such a store, you can only pay by card, no cash sales. The place is crammed full of interesting stuff.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How far does it stick out from the window please Robert. We want to know if we can close our front blinds without taking it off.
We can close our blind with it in situ
I recon less than 40mm off the glass

You could try mine if you like

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We've got this one off Amazon £19.99
Great quality camera

LANKA® HD 1080P Car DVR Dash Camera G-sensor Motion Detection Amazon product ASIN B019YX889I

Bought ours off Groupon -same camera. had it for 1 month and it almost melted itself last week-got a refund. Worked ok till it melted, but no SD card included and poor/non existent battery life

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Do you need GPS?

The speed of travel can be calculated using the footage? (distance divided by time, etc)

I don't actually know, but I'd imagine it's possible?!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've been using a Mio Mivue 518 for about 18 months and very pleased with it. It is no longer available, the Broken Link Removed is the current equivalent.
X 2 for the mio mivue 518.
And its only fallen off the windscreen once in around 15 months, of course it happens at stupid oclock in the morning and sets the car alarm off necessitating getting out of bed to turn it off..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you need GPS?

The speed of travel can be calculated using the footage? (distance divided by time, etc)

It isnt only for speed, its mainly for location in lat and long coordinates to show the exact position on google maps of a collision/incident etc....insurers love that sort of info.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you need GPS?

Not unless there are lines painted on the road a known distance apart - like they have with speed cameras.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Do you need GPS?

When I needed mine for evidence it showed I was doing 18kph in a 30kph zone before the incident and 5kph at time of impact :)
Try measuring that manually.
Also, the unit I have shows your location on Google Maps when you playback on a device with an internet connection.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
X 2 for the mio mivue 518.
And its only fallen off the windscreen once in around 15 months, of course it happens at stupid oclock in the morning and sets the car alarm off necessitating getting out of bed to turn it off..
Strange that John. We had one in the front of the car and one in the front of the van and neither ever fell off. A couple of weeks ago I moved the one from the van to the back screen of the car to replace as cheaper one that had never fallen off but wasn't working properly. I had all sorts of problems getting it to stick and in the finish I've jammed it partly into the lining :D

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Bought the Aldi dash cam today but not tried it yet -its on charge, but reading through the instructions there is a legal note at the back which may be of interest to all who have a dash cam.

"If you use a suction mounted car camera in the UK, if the device/camera and/ or cradle and/ suction cup)intrudes more than 4cm into the secondary wiper clearance zone , or intrudes more than 1cm into the primary wiper clearance zone of the windscreen, you are committing a serious road traffic offence(dangerous driving) under the UK road traffic act 1988 and your vehicle is not roadworthy ie. it could fail an MOT
Also/in addition if you use a camera with an LCD screen, if the screen is on for any of the time while you are driving and you, the driver, can view that screen, then you the driver are committing a serious traffic offence.
The driver must not operate or adjust a car camera unless the vehicle is parked safely otherwise( the same as operating a mobile phone) you are also committing a serious road traffic offence as car cameras are not classed as driving aids"

:confused:
I have a JAWs dash cam also for the van which is window mounted and I was also going to use this mounted to the window in the car -will now have to reposition and cover over the screen just sufficient to see that it is working ok.
any one had any issues with the law on dash cams?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bought the Aldi dash cam today but not tried it yet -its on charge, but reading through the instructions there is a legal note at the back which may be of interest to all who have a dash cam.

"If you use a suction mounted car camera in the UK, if the device/camera and/ or cradle and/ suction cup)intrudes more than 4cm into the secondary wiper clearance zone , or intrudes more than 1cm into the primary wiper clearance zone of the windscreen, you are committing a serious road traffic offence(dangerous driving) under the UK road traffic act 1988 and your vehicle is not roadworthy ie. it could fail an MOT
Also/in addition if you use a camera with an LCD screen, if the screen is on for any of the time while you are driving and you, the driver, can view that screen, then you the driver are committing a serious traffic offence.
The driver must not operate or adjust a car camera unless the vehicle is parked safely otherwise( the same as operating a mobile phone) you are also committing a serious road traffic offence as car cameras are not classed as driving aids"

:confused:
I have a JAWs dash cam also for the van which is window mounted and I was also going to use this mounted to the window in the car -will now have to reposition and cover over the screen just sufficient to see that it is working ok.
any one had any issues with the law on dash cams?
I've found that an ideal place to mount a dash cam in the van is so that it views the road through the area which used to be covered by the tax disk or with the suction cup at the top left hand corner of a car windscreen with the camera hanging down). See Here for an example (which also shows a Jaws type camera mounted on the parcel shelf where it did not obscure the driver's view).
All the various dash cams I have had have settings to turn the screen off after a given time so that the driver isn't distracted.

Note that the intrusion into the wiper clearance area also applies to sat navs and can cause MoT failure.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine was about that price it seemed to work except I couldn't download the card to my computor the second time ,and then all the on screen went to Chinese only instructions. I need another one now as I cannot use any of the buttons for anything.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine was about that price it seemed to work except I couldn't download the card to my computor the second time ,and then all the on screen went to Chinese only instructions. I need another one now as I cannot use any of the buttons for anything.
The Chinese may just be the result of catching the wrong button(s) and changing the language by mistake. If you can get into the menu you may be able to change it back. If you post the model type somebody may have an instruction leaflet to help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back