AIB Insurance 15% Funster Discount (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Richard
Was a bit like dealing with Arthur Daily with AIB on the phone. Insisted that I gave them the lowest price I’d been quoted so their underwriter could beat it, otherwise they’d quote me their highest price. Very dodgy!

I naturally refused and having waited all day they finally came back saying they don’t insure high value vans. Shame their salesman and / or website didn’t mention this.
We deal with our local branch of NFU who have been excellent over the years. Unlike AIB they offer a ‘new for old’ van for all new vehicles within the first 2 years.
I did speak to the Louth branch a few years ago who confirmed that it makes no difference which branch you deal with.
Robert Clark, I hope you and Lois are both well Robert. (y)
I am going through the same process with AIB now, but only because NFU don't do breakdown cover for MHs.
3 x times I had to ask the AIB operative to slow down, when reading parrot fashion off his script. :(
I also refused to divulge our renewal premium (less than last year's), and quotes obtained from other insurers, ie, that's my business, not theirs. :mad:

I'd really like to stay with NFU, especially if I could find an alternative UK & European breakdown cover, which covers over 3.5 Tonnes, over 8 x metres long, and over 3 x metres high. Nationwide don't, and Britannia don't. RAC Arrival do, but adding their quote to the insurance premium, takes me way way over SAGA's insurance, quote, but with better breakdown cover, and they use the RAC. :doh: Edited..........Driver Guardian do also, but only up to 15 x years old. :(

If still with NFU Robert, who do you use for European breakdown cover please, or are you covered under an Iveco/Mercedes warranty policy?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert Clark, I hope you and Lois are both well Robert. (y)
I am going through the same process with AIB now, but only because NFU don't do breakdown cover for MHs.
3 x times I had to ask the AIB operative to slow down, when reading parrot fashion off his script. :(
I also refused to divulge our renewal premium (less than last year's), and quotes obtained from other insurers, ie, that's my business, not theirs. :mad:

I'd really like to stay with NFU, especially if I could find an alternative UK & European breakdown cover, which covers over 3.5 Tonnes, over 8 x metres long, and over 3 x metres high. Guardian don't, Nationwide don't, and Britannia don't. RAC Arrival do, but adding their quote to the insurance premium, takes me way way over SAGA's insurance, quote, but with better breakdown cover, and they use the RAC. :doh:

If still with NFU Robert, who do you use for European breakdown cover please, or are you covered under an Iveco/Mercedes warranty policy?

Cheers,

Hi Jock
Yes we’re still with NFU, however our base vehicle is still under warranty so haven’t yet purchased separate breakdown cover.

I used DriverGuarduan for breakdown cover when our NiBi warranty expired and woukd probably use them again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We found they had great prices and cover for two or three years but then the prices rocketed so now we get the same policy with the same underwriter elsewhere for £100 less. AiB couldn't match :(

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Went with the cheaper AIB although they don’t protect the no claims discount! Bit of a problem as I am in the middle of a claim so expecting a real premium increase next year.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
although they don’t protect the no claims discount!

Is that a bit of a con anyway? You still have to tell an insurer you have claimed, so it's not a way of ensuring fees won't rise after a claim. They will rise after a claim no matter how many years "no claims" you have.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Went with the cheaper AIB although they don’t protect the no claims discount! Bit of a problem as I am in the middle of a claim so expecting a real premium increase next year.
I told them I wanted NCB protection included.

Is that a bit of a con anyway? You still have to tell an insurer you have claimed, so it's not a way of ensuring fees won't rise after a claim. They will rise after a claim no matter how many years "no claims" you have.
AIB advised that NCB protection would lower from 8+ years, down to 5 x years in the next period of insurance, in the event of a claim, so a bit of a get out for them, and a rise in the premium at renewal for us. :(

Cheers,

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
AIB advised that NCB protection would lower from 8+ years, down to 5 x years in the next period of insurance, in the event of a claim, so a bit of a get out for them, and a rise in the premium at renewal for us. :(

Sorry Jock, I wasn't talking about AIB I'm not sure what their guaranteed no claims is like. I was just talking generally.

I have got insurance when I've not had any spare no no-claims to use, and to be honest, it didn't load the premium that much.

It's an actual claim that kills you. . I don't think protecting it saves you that much at renewal time.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I went with AIB this year (ending in February next year) and to be fair the cost was cheaper than Comfort who I'd used previously.
However, I did to agree with other posters above feel like I was talking to a second hand car salesman.
Not sure what I will do but I'm feeling like I will return to Comfort come renewal.

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Picking up new van on Friday, Chausson 640 Titanium Premium.
Fitted with cat 1 alarm. Parked on drive behind bollard at night.
2 named drivers.
10 years ncb.
Current insurer wouldn’t quote without having a tracker installed.
AIB quoted £306, with legal protection and 180 days Europe cover.
Thats £70 less than last years renewal on old van.
Insured by Ageas.
Received the funster discount.
Well chuffed.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
AIB have just today agreed to help sponsor the production of our yearbook too. Thanks AIB/Darren. (y)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
After getting a renewal of quote of £266 from AIB which allegedly included my y funster discount I decided to get a quote from compare the market. This is something I wouldn't normally do for the motorhome. Anyway I got a quote from a company called Lifesure for £234 with AXA as the underwriters. All the policy details for loss are much better than AIB and also a huge number of European travel days compared to the 30 offered by AIB.
So should I go for it?🤔

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Filled in an online form for AIB for a ring back.
Keep getting multiple emails saying that have failed to contact me by phone! They have not tried that hard as I always have my phone with me and I have no missed calls! 😡
Ditto same to me I have not missed any calls.

Jul 2, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Adria 690 Platinum
Exp
Ex Caravan owner now a Motorhome owner since November 2020
I have had my insurance renewal from CMS at £504.00, got a few other quotes best was AIB for the same cover it came out at £345.00, needless to say I have renewed with them,

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I moved to AIB this year. Saga £730 Aviva via AIB £539.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
As another thread, I’ve just sold the Motorhome and in preparation changed the private number plate onto the car.
AIB charged £30.00 admin fee which seemed a bit high but heigh ho.
Phoned the car insurance brokers to advise them of new number, £10.00

Phone AIB yesterday to finally cancel policy, and no refund due, with five months of policy remaining!
Not happy, but with two cars and house insurance coming up, guess who I won’t be phoning.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
AIB have twice now caught me , they won’t get another chance 🙁

First with MH, a few years back made a late decision to go to Norway, rang to increase our annual mileage as we needed 6K just for the trip which was our annual limit , could only add 2K miles which wouldn’t be enough . Their suggestion was start a new policy 😳 we ended up doing this but not with them

Just now changed cars four months into a years cover, our current insurer does not cover electric cars , new policy needed, not looking like we will get any refund for 8 months premium, renewed policy elsewhere

Technically both issues were our own doing, but hardly pushing the boundaries of normal cover

And we never got any discount as members being told we already had best price

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I gave up on AIB two years ago when they gave me a quote then when I asked about some possible changes refused to offer anything like the original quote . This year I went through compare the market.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Our NFU policy excludes breakdown cover from the van even though we get it on the car under the same policy. It's the only think that annoys me about NFU. Their service depends somewhat on the local branch but ours is good. They also issued a green card for Morocco without charge.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Which branch did you use please?
Many folks have used and recommended the Louth NFU Branch in the past, ourselves included.

If it wasn't for the fact that they don't do breakdown cover for MHs, we'd still be with them. :(

Cheers,

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I had 3 vehicles with AIB until a year ago, now having sold the van recently it's down to one. Little refund despite 9 months remaining on my first vehicle, no refund for the five odd months on the van as "they don't refund on motorhomes (Highway/LV) I was told. Last summer on the Merc they reluctantly matched the £60 odd cheaper quote I'd got elsewhere. Perhaps it's the industry norm and I expected too much but they'll have to go some to keep me this summer.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Last year they were a lot better than others, this year they are still good but,! Never needed to claim or change policy so only time will tell how good they are!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi Richard,
Yes I did, but how does that work on an insurance policy that was cancelled after just about 7 month of cover and a refund for just over 5 month due?
Regards, David.
No idea but if they are tardy in there responses then reclaim the lot & let them ask you for the outstanding amount?

Feb 28, 2023
Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I'm a relative Newbie
Nothing new obviously as to what's going on in the Insurance Industry, but just had renewal quote from C&MHC. As a new Member to both Club and Motorhoming the Club premium with no NCD on our Autotrail Savannah was last year, £391.57 inc add; £29.99 Legal Protection. The renewal with now 1yrs NCD, came in at 474.99!!!! The Policy with LV Highway as before. Shopped around and with Performance Direct again with LV Highway came in at £380.38 inc add; £55 Legal Excess, (additional to included Legal Cover), that will pay amongst other things the £400 + £100 voluntary excess in the event of an own fault or uninsured claim. The policy also includes a Tracker to be fitted for the duration. Obviously everybody's circumstances are different when obtaining a quote, but needless to say so much for Club Membership. Got the same exercise now with the 'Toad', via the Co-oP. £273.10 with no NCD, renewal, £583.53 with 1yr NCD !!!! Not much difference. What is going on. Is this some Government plot to push we Gas Guzzlers toward Electric!!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Just tried AIB for insurance on the RV (23 years old so not a high value).
More than double NFU and so I cant comment on their service apart from that.
Comfort also wanted "around £1600".

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Just had a quote from AIB and they are quoting a much better price than any other company I've seen so far. Ours is a brand new A-Cass valued at around £90k and we're both in our 50's. AIB via Aviva is £513.95/year. 180 days per trip European cover and 9 months total European cover per year. Seems really good. The only question/concern I have is the £3,000 max windscreen cover. Should I be concerned by that?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The only question/concern I have is the £3,000 max windscreen cover. Should I be concerned by that?
I would if it was our A Class MH being ensured, as a genuine replacement windscreen is around £4.5K to £5K. :cry:

Is yours an A Class?

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back