Advice on how to semicamper a normal car (1 Viewer)

Javilotee

Free Member
May 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hello everyone!
I am new at this forum!
As the title suggests, I'm intending to transform my car into a more suitable overnight option. Especifically, I own a Peugeot 206 SW (picture below).
I have several ideas to make it more confortable in general but I am struggling to decide on the most basic one. I don't know what sort of mattress I should use...

coche.jpg

I want the mattress to be removable, either by being a foldable mattress or just by being a japanese futon, so that I can use the trunk and back seats for other purposes when I am done resting. That discards regular, house-like mattresses because of how thick and bulky the are...

I want to know your ideas, how would you make this car (even though it's not easy) a bit more comfy to sleep in? Am I omitting better options? Please let me know!

It's meant to be for 1-2 nights each time (weekends most likely). I live near a great area of virgin, beautiful beaches and I'd love to sleep around there once in a while.

Thanks a lot! This forum looks fantastic!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
I modified a car as a mini-campervan many years ago. The main issue was with condensation overnight so ventilation needed.
At night I left the hatchback door half up (i.e. horizontal) and modified a tent to drape over it and enclose the back end and could sit and cook under it.
I used an inflatable air bed. They're not great but o.k. for a few nights. The trick to make them more comfortable is to only inflate them enough to keep you off the floor.
I also used a (removable!) al fresco towbar mounted toilet like this.......

Towbar loo 2.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Full length self inflating mat.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Be careful if you do leave the hatch open as the curtesy light may stay on and drain your battery.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I use a decent air mattress in my day van, it's really comfortable, I've slept on it for two weeks at a time whilst touring Europe.

Stollysmith

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van hightop
Exp
Newby
Just having seen Nomadland film, Bob Wells has a YouTube channel CheapRVliving which has several interviews with carlifers.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We used an airbed in the back of our Volvo estate and it was very comfy, however we were used to it from tent camping. You can buy foam cut to size, so you could design your own so that it fits your space and is in sections to fold like a futon in the day.
You would need window blinds both for privacy and to stop your car getting too hot, particularly in the early mornings. Maybe that silver foil backed insulation stuff, cut to size and edged with sticky tape and with suckers attached.
As someone else said, ventilation also important but I guess in Spain you can just leave windows open if you are in a safe spot.

Aug 11, 2018
Chichester , West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Globe car Campscout.
Exp
Since 1990.
Welcome.
I modified a car as a mini-campervan many years ago. The main issue was with condensation overnight so ventilation needed.
At night I left the hatchback door half up (i.e. horizontal) and modified a tent to drape over it and enclose the back end and could sit and cook under it.
I used an inflatable air bed. They're not great but o.k. for a few nights. The trick to make them more comfortable is to only inflate them enough to keep you off the floor.
I also used a (removable!) al fresco towbar mounted toilet like this.......

View attachment 498717
My first van was a Compass Navigator, Best Buy ever.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The OP hasn't been seen since this thread started but for those thinking of doing the same, we hsd some great tours in our estate car, sleeping in the back. It was easier to set up, quieter and more convenient than using a tent.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My (very well off) former business partner often had jobs away from home and he decided to turn his VW Passat into an overnight bed rather than drive home tired.

He put a sleeping bag and pillow on the back seat.

JJ :cool:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Does the 206sw have a long enough load bay?!

I'd put down a memory foam, perhaps ply on a timber frame to level out the floor and provide some storage.

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back