Advice needed - solar panel disaster ... (3 Viewers)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A friend of mine is doing a self build. Last year he had two Solar panels fitted to his roof. The panels were screwed to the brackets and the brackets screwed onto the roof
First trip out, both panels came loose. One flew off somewhere( never recovered) and the other was almost off. Luckily he heard a noise from the roof and stopped before the 2nd panel left
Seems to me it’s the level of workmanship not the method of fixing that’s to blame.
We are on our 4th van with solar panels and sat dishes glued to the roof. Everything is still attached.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Further..
If the panel had come off and caused damage or injury it is YOU who would end up with sticky end of the poo stick
Eyes of the law you are responsible for your vehicle..
Could have been extremely nasty / costly.. Worth pointing that out to the dealer too

On the first point you made - there could be a 3rd party claim, but it should result in an indemnity from the dealer or its insurers. The circumstances point to negligence by the dealer, not negligence by Grianan who appears to be the innocent party in all this.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Our van roof has the thin floating aluminium outer skin over 6mm ply and then the styrofoam insulation.
Knowing the potential havoc that could be caused by a solar panel coming off the roof and our roof construction being the thin floating aluminium outer skin type, I used the aerodynamic type mounts across the whole of the forward facing edge of the panels, roughened the paint surface and glued the mounts using Sikaflex 292i as well as screwing the mounts to the roof.
For me, I did not trust anyone but myself to fit our solar panels and as such I have no worries about them staying where they are.
My reason for screwing down as well was as stated by Richard and Ann

Grianan what was the dimensions of your panel and how many and what type of mounts were used ?

View attachment 351903

Are those plastic (I presume) deflector type strips which are mounted in front of all your sticky-up bits doing anything more than "hopefully" making it more aerodynamic ?

How are they fixed to the roof ? Just wondering if they are possibly more potential flying objects.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Are those plastic (I presume) deflector type strips which are mounted in front of all your sticky-up bits doing anything more than "hopefully" making it more aerodynamic ?

How are they fixed to the roof ? Just wondering if they are possibly more potential flying objects.

The larger 150 watt panel going across the the van was the first panel I fitted to the van and used 4 plastic corner mounts and 2 side mounts bonded and screwed. The panel was then bolted to the mounts.
After a few days I infilled the gaps across the forward facing edge of the panel with additional mounts the same shape which are just bonded to the roof and the were a tight fit to push under the panel.
I did this for two reasons, firstly, I had concerns about what the air pressure building up under the panel at speed could do as I come from a hang glider/microlight background and served my apprenticeship on aircraft airframes and engines and secondly they were fitted to reduce wind noise produced by the panel and help smooth the airflow over the panel reducing parasitic and interference drag.
When I fitted the additional lengthways 100 watt panel I again used 6 point mounting with a full width shaped mount across the front for the same reasons.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The larger 150 watt panel going across the the van was the first panel I fitted to the van and used 4 plastic corner mounts and 2 side mounts bonded and screwed. The panel was then bolted to the mounts.
After a few days I infilled the gaps across the forward facing edge of the panel with additional mounts the same shape which are just bonded to the roof and the were a tight fit to push under the panel.
I did this for two reasons, firstly, I had concerns about what the air pressure building up under the panel at speed could do as I come from a hang glider/microlight background and served my apprenticeship on aircraft airframes and engines and secondly they were fitted to reduce wind noise produced by the panel and help smooth the airflow over the panel reducing parasitic and interference drag.
When I fitted the additional lengthways 100 watt panel I again used 6 point mounting with a full width shaped mount across the front for the same reasons.

Yes, I understand the bits holding the solar panel and totally agree with preventing airflow under the panel. What I was asking about is the stand alone deflectors which are in front of your roof vents etc.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only glued on sure I would not drive that around or like to be behind it crazy
It is worth remembering there are no welds screws or bolts holding the wings on all modern planes no matter what the size :)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I said it part in jest and to make a point. The roof rack is fitted by 8cm diameter cores of the roof being cut out and replaced with a plug which is sikaflexed in, the rack is then screwed to the plug. But if the chemical bond between the plug and the roof failed the two would part company.

You'll find most yachts, motorhomes and aircraft are held together with similar chemical fixings.
oh a bit different than relying on the paints adhesion .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What about the situation when the paint peeled of the van roof. How can you be sure the paint adhesion is good enough on your van. If it there was an inguiry into a serious incident and it was found that the panel was only glued on then who would be held responsible. It just isn't worth the risk.
Ok if you are that worried about the only way to fix them properly with screws would be to put bolts right through the roof and bolted spreader plates under the roof inside. I've yet to see a solar panel fitted like that & I don't think the customer would be very happy.

No point in using self-tappers, a self-tapper into 0.5mm of aluminum is pretty useless & then if you are idiotic enough to use stainless steel self-tapers we all know that there is an electrolytic reaction between stainless steel & aluminum and the aluminum corrodes away.

By far the safest method of fixing unless you want unsightly plates & bolts inside your van is with the correct adhesive.
With pre-coated panels that vans are made from it's very unlikely the paint will peel off. My last 2 vans have had 2mm anti-hail GRP sheets bonded to the roof so I think my panels are very secure. Also my sat dish is only stuck on.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I understand the bits holding the solar panel and totally agree with preventing airflow under the panel. What I was asking about is the stand alone deflectors which are in front of your roof vents etc.

Gotcha now, x:-) The wind deflectors in front of various bits of gubbins on our roof have a large footprint for their size and are bonded to the roof with Sikaflex 292i, my main concern would be how the hell do we get them off rather than will they be blown off. :xgrin:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I love the explanation especially the use of the word “parasitic” ?

Do you have a link to the air flow directors by any chance ??

You can't beat a bit of technical talk to baffle people and make them think you know what you are talking about. :xrofl: ........................ did it work ? :xwink:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well being a bit of a worrier I made and bonded on alloy brackets and then started to think "what if" so I moulded a fibreglass piece that would go over the bracket and attached to the roof but with an air gap to the brackets themselves on the theory that if the first alloy brackets came loose the second fibreglass bracket would act as a "catcher".

Well that was the theory that has never been tested (y)

C8B5805D-05EE-4B60-893B-357B31DC7281.jpeg

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well being a bit of a worrier I made and bonded on alloy brackets and then started to think "what if" so I moulded a fibreglass piece that would go over the bracket and attached to the roof but with an air gap to the brackets themselves on the theory that if the first alloy brackets came loose the second fibreglass bracket would act as a "catcher".

Well that was the theory that has never been tested (y)

View attachment 351975

Martin

Now that is a cracking idea

Deleted User
With pre-coated panels that vans are made from it's very unlikely the paint will peel off. My last 2 vans have had 2mm anti-hail GRP sheets bonded to the roof so I think my panels are very secure. Also my sat dish is only stuck on.
I agree that it is unlikely, so are most accidents, but it has been reported on other forums that the paint has peeled off the roof of a van where the solar panels were attached.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Re sticking the brackets to the roof - I'd mask off the bracket footprint and scarify the surface until reaching a stable base i.e. no paint. Then sikaflex etch primer (belt & braces).

My roof has a fiberglass hail protection layer (but with shallow scour indentations on the surface).

Then a short securing strap from the SP to the Carthago integrated side roof bar (double belt & braces). OK, a detached SP would possibly make a mess of the roof and side of the van, but at least no other road user would be endangered o_O

PS. I like the idea of an aero-bar bracket on the leading edge. But how do you remove the SP at a later date, if you so wished ? Might be difficult with a 20mm gap and a screwdriver.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My only worry is that, can the mrs hold down the panels and hang on to the roof at the same time...?

I’ll get back to you after we’ve done some trials.....?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was hoping not to be the first to mention as above. ALL motorway junctions have cameras that will read your number plate. In effect you have left the scene of a road traffic accident without reporting it. You may well be in deep trouble, even if it didn't hit another vehicle. The police may write to you or knock on your door in the next few weeks.
Sorry
Highly unlikely! the cynic in me says. Otherwise the volume of debris on our motorway system would be far less than it is. (it would have been collected by Plod/Vosa) to be used as "evidence"). I can just see it. "Can we have a DNA sample sir, so we can confirm this cigarette butt is yours?". So IMV. unless serious damage had been caused as a result of the failure. It would remain just another piece of Crap waiting to be picked up when the Authorities got a round to it. As for Knocking on doors, The police are forever screaming they are overstretched and under manned?. So again I seriously doubt they would bother their arses.

As for the O/P. This looks on the face of it to be a case of dealer responsibility. As for fixing with "Glue". I have had 6 Solars all bonded with proprietory adhesives to the roof of motorhomes (and R-V`s) none have ever worked loose. But the Trick as always is in the Preparation. On the roof of my last one was the plate for a Very large Satelite system it had been there for years and I could not remove it!. It was still there when I traded.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I like the idea of an aero-bar bracket on the leading edge. But how do you remove the SP at a later date, if you so wished ? Might be difficult with a 20mm gap and a screwdriver.

Think I've found the answer to my query in the following link:

<Broken link removed>

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Think I've found the answer to my query in the following link:

<Broken link removed>

Removing a solar panel from their mounts is fine, but as there is no universal sizing of solar panels, it very unlikely you will find another that will slip straight in as a replacement which rather nullifies the advantage the seller of the Aero Brackets claims.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back