Adding starter battery to existing solar setup? Wiring spec question (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Sorry all, I do hate electrics.
OK, so only had the motorhome (Bailey alliance se) for a few months and it's already got the 100w solar panel fitted and charging the leisure battery. However, I want to wire in the starter battery too just to keep it topped up.

Now, while I've been told that 1mm2 (1mm square) rated at 16.5amp is more than adequate, damn its thin! I mean the twin core is as thin as the existing wires going into the controller :unsure:

So, given that (after routing) the length of wire needed will be between 3 and 5 metres, and having googled and read about voltage loss on the chart here https://www.leadingedgepower.com/support/help-with-solar-panels/solar-cable-charts.html Im assuming I actually need 3mm2 wire and not the 1mm2 ? Can anyone shed any light on this before I go ahead?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just add a battery master,they are easy to fit and cheap ,around £20. They allow a charge to the starter battery once your leisure batts are up to a particular charge level.allows a trickle charge to starter batter .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
First off, does your solar charge controller have a provision for charging a second battery ?

Yes
Just add a battery master,they are easy to fit and cheap ,around £20. They allow a charge to the starter battery once your leisure batts are up to a particular charge level.allows a trickle charge to starter batter .
Where have you found them at £20 as I can only see them at 60 plus?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think your biggest problem will be feeding the red and black cable to the starter battery but worth the effort.
I would recommend 2.5 mm minimum flex cables (20 amp) from the solar controller

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I think your biggest problem will be feeding the red and black cable to the starter battery but worth the effort.
I would recommend 2.5 mm minimum flex cables (20 amp) from the solar controller
yeah, to be honest now it's just being a pain trying to route it all, think im going to go with a battery master device instead, should be a lot less invasive fitting.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I fitted a Battery Master a few years back and it works faultlessly, a great bit of fit and forget kit. (y)
I echo that.
Be aware that a true Vanbitz Battery Master works differently from the cheaper ones off eBay. The cheaper ones only charge the van battery once the leisure battery is fully charged - typically 13.5+ volts. However you can't guarantee that the leisure battery will actually reach that value. The Vanbitz version will maintain the van battery at approx 0.8 volt less than the hab batteries at all times and will keep charging the van battery, even if the hab voltage drops below 13.5 volts.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I echo that.
Be aware that a true Vanbitz Battery Master works differently from the cheaper ones off eBay. The cheaper ones only charge the van battery once the leisure battery is fully charged - typically 13.5+ volts. However you can't guarantee that the leisure battery will actually reach that value. The Vanbitz version will maintain the van battery at approx 0.8 volt less than the hab batteries at all times and will keep charging the van battery, even if the hab voltage drops below 13.5 volts.
I did wonder about that I have to admit and possibly why the vanbitz one is over twice as expensive.

Is the one in the Fun shop linked above an actual vanbitz one though?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I did wonder about that I have to admit and possibly why the vanbitz one is over twice as expensive.

Yes, you get a fiver off for being a Funster. (y)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Yes, when I spoke to Eddie at Vanbitz, he told me to buy from MH Fun.

I bought two! One for me and one for my daughter.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

No, but it is much better for Funsters to buy one from the Motorhome Fun shop as it's cheaper, and we don't offer the 10% MHF discount when you order online from our shop. We are not a mail order business the Battery Master is the only thing that we bother to sell online and if we have a "Club Discount Code" all the Riff Raff like the Caravan Club and the Oiks all phone up and want to negotiate a membership discount for the "Panda Owners Club" and frankly I can't be arsed! There will only EVER be a members discount for FUN as I am a member and I love the forum!

As for more expensive, its is 100% waterproof, 100% vibration proof, if fitted correctly doesn't need fuses, and works faultlessly and isn't worried about the donor battery voltage unlike many others that will only work when the donor battery reaches XYZ voltage which often never happens in the Winter when you need it most!

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
No, but it is much better for Funsters to buy one from the Motorhome Fun shop as it's cheaper, and we don't offer the 10% MHF discount when you order online from our shop. We are not a mail order business the Battery Master is the only thing that we bother to sell online and if we have a "Club Discount Code" all the Riff Raff like the Caravan Club and the Oiks all phone up and want to negotiate a membership discount for the "Panda Owners Club" and frankly I can't be arsed! There will only EVER be a members discount for FUN as I am a member and I love the forum!

As for more expensive, its is 100% waterproof, 100% vibration proof, if fitted correctly doesn't need fuses, and works faultlessly and isn't worried about the donor battery voltage unlike many others that will only work when the donor battery reaches XYZ voltage which often never happens in the Winter when you need it most!
Can I ask eddievanbitz are you open in December at all, as the more I think about it the more I want to get a strikeback and Growler fitted to my Bailey Alliance SE?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can I ask eddievanbitz are you open in December at all, as the more I think about it the more I want to get a strikeback and Growler fitted to my Bailey Alliance SE?
Hi yes, other that some dates Christmas and New Year we are open all year 👍🏻

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Now, while I've been told that 1mm2 (1mm square) rated at 16.5amp is more than adequate, damn its thin! I mean the twin core is as thin as the existing wires going into the controller :unsure:

So, given that (after routing) the length of wire needed will be between 3 and 5 metres, and having googled and read about voltage loss on the chart here https://www.leadingedgepower.com/support/help-with-solar-panels/solar-cable-charts.html Im assuming I actually need 3mm2 wire and not the 1mm2 ? Can anyone shed any light on this before I go ahead?
My take on the original question - the chart says 3mm2 wire for 100W panel and 5m length. I would imagine you will be setting the starter battery charge to be much smaller than the leisure battery charge. Usually 90%/10% split. You would be sending 10% of the amps to the starter battery, so you will need only 10% of the cross-sectional area, ie 0.3mm. However there is a case for saying that no wire should be less than 1.5mm2, because it is not physically strong enough in a vibration-prone environment.

The other point about routing a wire all the way to the starter battery - it's not usually necessary, because there is likely to be a substantial starter battery wire located conveniently on the split charge relay, or the 12V distribution box. So you could connect to that. The solar controller will have all the appropriate diodes to ensure there is no unwanted back-flow of current.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I've tagged him so he will see it and in the original email have given all other details etc etc, by tagging him Eddie will be more than capable of putting 2 and 2 together, he's a sensible chap. As for a public forum, not sure I've given away any secrets that Im aware of :rolleyes:

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
I've tagged him so he will see it and in the original email have given all other details etc etc, by tagging him Eddie will be more than capable of putting 2 and 2 together, he's a sensible chap. As for a public forum, not sure I've given away any secrets that Im aware of :rolleyes:
It was more the fact that as he's a busy man, he may not see the post! :giggle:

Don't worry, your secrets are safe with us! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back