Adding extra power points in cab X290 (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I want to add a couple of 12v outlets in the cab just above the cupholders. What with extra LED lighting for the speedo, dashcam, gps speedo etc., the wiring needs tidying up. That’s before the navigator wants to plug in the tablet to look for sites. Where is best to take off the 12v feed?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Why not from existing 12v socket?

Or this might help.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
There are a lot of ways you can do this, it depends how comfortable you are playing with van electrics. If only on when the key is in the ignition then I take them off the cigarette lighter live feed, just remember there is a fuse somewhere so don't take more power than it can handle. After that I piggyback off a fuse in the fuse box depending on my needs, dashcam, off a fuse that is only on when the engine is, if it's for one live all the time I find a relevant fuse (radio's have a constant feed now-a-days) and piggyback off that.

As I said, many ways to do it which is why I can't say use one method over another as everyone has their own ideas/thoughts which is best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we had the Globecar Campscout I put in a twin 12v socket above the small shelf on the right of the dash near the 'A' pillar which was connected directly to the cab battery with an inline fuse; this was to plug our rear view camera and monitor into and anything else we wish to power whilst travelling although they were also used at any time as they were always powered. I did this rather than permanently connect the camera/monitor to the ignition as I didn't want to alter the existing base vehicle electrics for warranty purposes. This could be done on the passenger side too if required.

1616667600242.png

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone. I've taken the supply from the existing 12V sockets. The wiring is much neater now.I just need to get a dual USB socket to fit in the panel above the cup holders.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I would never piggy back, off another fused supply because the circuit is designed for a particular current requirement. I just swapped the two 12 volt sockets for 2 double USB sockets.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I put a socket in the lift up flap glove box under the windscreen for the TomTom. Wired it straight to a permanent +ve fuse via a mini rocker switch next to the socket.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I would never piggy back, off another fused supply because the circuit is designed for a particular current requirement. I just swapped the two 12 volt sockets for 2 double USB sockets.
Each of the two 12v sockets is protected by a 15 amp fuse in the engine bay. I've piggy backed off one of these sockets to fit a double 2.1 amp USB socket so max 25 watts (allowing some losses in conversion). I'm running a dashcam from one USB and intend to fit a GPS speedo into the other. Both permanently wired. Oh, and I have two 12v LEDS for the instrument pod. So the power budget is still over 10 amps. I use the unmodified 12V socket to run the tyre inflator which really gobbles the amps. So much so that switching it on when connected to the tyre (and therefore fully loaded) it blows the 15A fuse. I now start the inflator before connecting to the tyre valve. This gives a gradual increase in load.

Proper engineering practice would, of course, be to provide a separate fused supply as you state.

Reactions: I2C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back