Adblue ? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
With my new Mercedes Frankia the ad-Blue is free at any Merc Commercial dealer for the 1st year. My man will be putting in free for many years to come, and yes it IS purified Pigs Piss.

It is also bloody hard to fill. I have the s shaped pipe and it is still a bitch, thank goodness I've only done it twice since having the beast.
I asked my Mercedes Commercial dealer about the free AdBlue and was told this only applied to non-commercial vehicles. I found it very easy to fill once I had the flexible VW filler pipe, perfect for awkward to access fillers, no mess.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Howard,we bought a Challenger camper here in France on a Transit base,the base vehicle was built in Turkey in 2014 and we bought brand new in November last year.
There was no mention of Adblue at the time of handover.
I was surprised therefore on wading through the various handbooks that it said we needed it.
The filler was supposed to be adjacent to the diesel filler which on the transit is only accessible when you open the drivers door,nothing there but the filler.Why I was still searching was because in the glovebox was a plastic funnel in a bag.
I guess our vehicle was just before the changeover date and poor Mr Turk was just given a big bag of the funnels to put one in each glovebox.
I have been around transport and trucks all my life and it still made me look twice,an easy mistake you made and one that looks as though it has interested many other users unaware of this,enjoy your van.

That funnel ford give you is so you can fill up derv from a jerry can.. Without it the fuel goes all over the floor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think this thread, started so long ago, together with the large number of different replies and queries, provides a perfect example of the trouble one can get into if one reads instruction manuals...

JJ :cool:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust
According to Wikipedia 28 times less Co in diesel exhaust gasses than petrol exhaust gasses.

I wouldn't connect your exhaust in your petrol car to a hose and run it to your window. You will find out the hard way that petrol fumes do contain more co than close to zero.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust
According to Wikipedia 28 times less Co in diesel exhaust gasses than petrol exhaust gasses.

I wouldn't connect your exhaust in your petrol car to a hose and run it to your window. You will find out the hard way that petrol fumes do contain more co than close to zero.

You're correct of course: current limits allow double the amount of CO for petrol than for Diesel. However most petrol cars emit less than 0.5 gm/km CO (limit is 1) with Diesel engine cars allowed 0.5 gm/km (Government figures). Both may I suggest are minimal amounts.

"In the past, using car exhaust fumes to commit suicide was a well known method. Whether that was by running a car engine continuously in an enclosed space like a garage, or by running a pipe from the exhaust directly into the car, again, ideally in a garage. But that was before the days of emission controls on cars, which now emit much lower levels of CO than previously. Whilst it is possible to achieve death using this method, it does generally require older cars. The method is susceptible to a number of things that can go wrong, and for this reason it is no longer cited as an effective method of committing suicide, and certainly not in places like the US, UK and Australia where car emissions are more tightly controlled." - from the 'Lost All Hope' website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I asked my Mercedes Commercial dealer about the free AdBlue and was told this only applied to non-commercial vehicles.

And he may well be correct, I didn't ask my dealer I told him, I also took his ten year service contract and told him that for all that HE will be adding the pigs piss for the lifetime of the unit. He agreed.

As regard filling it the 's' shaped pipe that comes with my Frankia Platin Plus still needs a 7ft tall man to hold the container and funnel above head height to allow another person to feed it under the ridiculous bonnet on an 'A Class'

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
And he may well be correct, I didn't ask my dealer I told him, I also took his ten year service contract and told him that for all that HE will be adding the pigs piss for the lifetime of the unit. He agreed.

As regard filling it the 's' shaped pipe that comes with my Frankia Platin Plus still needs a 7ft tall man to hold the container and funnel above head height to allow another person to feed it under the ridiculous bonnet on an 'A Class'

Seems a reasonable demand in exchange for a 10 year contract and explains the different dealer response. I am a shorty at 5ft 4ins and had no trouble with a 10l container using the VW tube, which screws on securely at both ends. For some people lighter 5l containers might be easier. I agree that s shaped pipes and funnels are not a realistic option. Perhaps Hymer and Frankia are not yet aware of the problem and will in future supply suitable connectors.

Yesterday I investigated the AdBlue pump price at the Beaconsfield Services on the M40, 70p per litre, which is a fair bit cheaper than the can price. Unfortunately the pumps are currently only found on the HGV forecourt but with AdBlue cars now about this may change.

On the other issue of pollution I don't think AdBlue does anything to CO emissions, I believe it is about reducing mono-nitrous oxides (NOx). Diesel engines produce more NOx than petrol engines because of their higher combustion temperatures.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back