LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
But won't that just mean a decrease in diesel particulates and an increase in petrol carbon monoxide in exhaust gases ie. Swapping one dirty exhaust for an equally bad one.
The result will probably be an Adblue for petrol engines
I really don't know about the emissions, but petrol engines seem to be more reliable than modern diesel ones.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ok let the humiliation and ridicule begin,my mh does not have a adblue system fitted there I said it .In my defence the hand book says it has so there are mitigating circumstances,so crack on funsters I can stand it:xgrin::xrofl:
Once again in my best James May voice ' What a cock!' :xeek::xdoh::xrofl:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
adblue works ok in the summer,but wait till its freezing weather and the hoses (which are heated) fail. for our volvo trucks, the hoses are a small fortune. used to be ÂŁ300 a time. Every problem we had with the trucks was Adblue related. And you'll be paying upwards of 80p a ltr out on the road.
We've no such problems now, invested in the little boxes which fools the ECU by thinking its still using it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But won't that just mean a decrease in diesel particulates and an increase in petrol carbon monoxide in exhaust gases ie. Swapping one dirty exhaust for an equally bad one.
No - Adblue is for NOx reduction. CO emissions for petrol and Diesel engines was cracked long ago.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I just find it strange that adding urea to the system reduces emissions. the main constituent of urine is urea so in effect you are spraying heated piss into your van

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
CO emissions for petrol and Diesel engines was cracked long ago.
So if nothing is making petrol engines "dirty", then why are we still persisting with diesel?
Is it because petrol engines will still need equivalent gadgets/gizmos/tweaks like Adblue, DPFs, EGRS etc if we start switching back to petrol engines in any numbers?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ok let the humiliation and ridicule begin,my mh does not have a adblue system fitted there I said it .In my defence the hand book says it has so there are mitigating circumstances,so crack on funsters I can stand it:xgrin::xrofl:
Just say to yourself " Thank God It is not there":xThumb:

I really don't know about the emissions, but petrol engines seem to be more reliable than modern diesel ones.

Possibly because they have been trying to make the diesel engine emissions cleaner than the intake air it uses?:xsad::unsure:
It wasn't designed for that but to run on anything that would ignite when compressed.:)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have just done my first top up of Adblue to my Hymer ML-I 580. Quite easy once you find the right equipment. I think Mercedes and Halfords both assume there will be good access above the Adblue filler, which is not the case by the time Hymer have built a motorhome around it. After a bit of internet research I dicovered that VW do a filler tube for ÂŁ9 which appeared to suit the job, I bought one over the counter at a VW dealer. It is perfect for the job, screws on firmly to both the Adblue filler and the Mercedes 10l can, it is then just a matter of inverting the can with sufficient head for it to flow. No drips and no spillage.
Ok it is an additional cost but I suspect it will not be long before non compliant vehicles are either restricted from or charged for going into emission zones such as London. Anyway I prefer not to poison my grandchildren with NOx now we know what it can do.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I think Mercedes and Halfords both assume there will be good access above the Adblue filler, which is not the case by the time Hymer have built a motorhome around it.

Never a truer word spoken. When the AdBlue on my Hymer/Merc needed topping up I went to my Mercedes Commercials dealer and they had a devil of a job doing it.
Stef.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well @Howard H I've never heard of it until your post so thanks for telling us I don't think I'll be buying a van with it on.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s

Howard,we bought a Challenger camper here in France on a Transit base,the base vehicle was built in Turkey in 2014 and we bought brand new in November last year.
There was no mention of Adblue at the time of handover.
I was surprised therefore on wading through the various handbooks that it said we needed it.
The filler was supposed to be adjacent to the diesel filler which on the transit is only accessible when you open the drivers door,nothing there but the filler.Why I was still searching was because in the glovebox was a plastic funnel in a bag.
I guess our vehicle was just before the changeover date and poor Mr Turk was just given a big bag of the funnels to put one in each glovebox.
I have been around transport and trucks all my life and it still made me look twice,an easy mistake you made and one that looks as though it has interested many other users unaware of this,enjoy your van.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I just find it strange that adding urea to the system reduces emissions. the main constituent of urine is urea so in effect you are spraying heated piss into your van

With the amount I drink I could start a business selling it...! And it will have a high alcohol content....(y)

A bit like bp super grade...
Aka, "bloody piss high grade additive":Eeek: to make your car go faster... Only ÂŁ2 a litre... Better then Reddex..:whistle::whistle: :drink::wine:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lots of confusion about this: petrol engines emit close to zero CO and Diesel engines very slightly more. All engines emit CO2 which is simply a function of how much fuel they burn and not how well they burn it. Diesel engines have two problems: high combustion temperatures mean that they produce an excess of nitrous oxide (that's from heating the air they use to burn the fuel: air is over 70% nitrogen) hence the introduction of Adblue; they also produce fine particulates (carbon-based) hence the use of DPFs. There is apparently a consensus within the ranks of Diesel engine designers that any further reduction of emissions is unlikely.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Lots of confusion about this: petrol engines emit close to zero CO and Diesel engines very slightly more. All engines emit CO2 which is simply a function of how much fuel they burn and not how well they burn it. Diesel engines have two problems: high combustion temperatures mean that they produce an excess of nitrous oxide (that's from heating the air they use to burn the fuel: air is over 70% nitrogen) hence the introduction of Adblue; they also produce fine particulates (carbon-based) hence the use of DPFs. There is apparently a consensus within the ranks of Diesel engine designers that any further reduction of emissions is unlikely.
I always believed that diesel exhaust gasses had far less co than petrol exhausts.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Think we've got it on our new Motability Car. Was told not to worry about it the garage deals with it when it's serviced. We picked the car up a week ago.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Think we've got it on our new Motability Car. Was told not to worry about it the garage deals with it when it's serviced. We picked the car up a week ago.
Sounds right, they consume very little of the stuff in a smallish engine.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
With my new Mercedes Frankia the ad-Blue is free at any Merc Commercial dealer for the 1st year. My man will be putting in free for many years to come, and yes it IS purified Pigs Piss.

It is also bloody hard to fill. I have the s shaped pipe and it is still a bitch, thank goodness I've only done it twice since having the beast.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
With my new Mercedes Frankia the ad-Blue is free at any Merc Commercial dealer for the 1st year. My man will be putting in free for many years to come, and yes it IS purified Pigs Piss.

It is also bloody hard to fill. I have the s shaped pipe and it is still a bitch, thank goodness I've only done it twice since having the beast.

No wonder it's expensive - some poor soul has to collect it :eek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Any one who thinks that AdBlue is a waste needs to look at the the health and environmental issues relating to NOx. It is nasty stuff and Diesels spew it out.

I wasn't aware of AdBlue or NOx risks until I did my CPC course last year. I would happily have a van with AdBlue to reduce the health impact I have on people around me.

CO2 has a long term effect on everyone, NOx has an immediate effect on those most vulnerable.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard,we bought a Challenger camper here in France on a Transit base,the base vehicle was built in Turkey in 2014 and we bought brand new in November last year.
There was no mention of Adblue at the time of handover.
I was surprised therefore on wading through the various handbooks that it said we needed it.
The filler was supposed to be adjacent to the diesel filler which on the transit is only accessible when you open the drivers door,nothing there but the filler.Why I was still searching was because in the glovebox was a plastic funnel in a bag.
I guess our vehicle was just before the changeover date and poor Mr Turk was just given a big bag of the funnels to put one in each glovebox.
I have been around transport and trucks all my life and it still made me look twice,an easy mistake you made and one that looks as though it has interested many other users unaware of this,enjoy your van.
Thanks BA looks like we made the same mistake and like you I have been around trucks and plant all my working life and I know the trucks we have now the most common breakdown which happens on a regular basis is always connected to adblue system,so I consider myself fortunate I don't have adblue on my benimar but if I replace it in the future I guess I will have to have it but maybe they will have sorted the problems by then.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back