Across Austria avoiding tolls ...over 3.5T (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We are heading off to Slovenia soon and are a bit perplexed about getting across Austria. I don't want the expense of a Go Box (exactly how expensive that is I've not had details only rumour!) so will be travelling on the non motorway routes. Probably from the direction of Munich. I'm sure loads of you have done this before but I have not seen details of specific routes. Looking at this myself I see that the map has a few double chevron routes (like 20% gradient). How difficult are these to travel on with our megre 130bhp. We may also spend a day or so in Austria especially if we take a longer (easier?) route so could be looking for sites close to the route. Anyone with specific information?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
A go box will cost you €5 with a minimum top up of €75.
Went south to north last year, Brenner pass north via Innsbruck, used about €40 of tolls off the credit.
Buy before you get there at a motorway service station either side. Follow the instructions on the leaflet and no problem, although I did read recently that the system may have changed and they can do it all at point of sale, you will need your log book and proof of emissions class ( certificate of Conformity)
Lots of 3.5t weight limits off the motorways which may prohibit travel, if you obey them!
Kinda depends on your van size, if you’re 3800kg you may get away with it, but at 8.3m and 5.3T as I am I wouldn’t risk it, and wouldn’t fancy a 20% gradient much!!!

Like the Boy Scouts say, be prepared. Bite the bullet and pay the fees, and if not used you can request a refund. If you get caught on a motorway without one it will cost a whole lot more!!!

Stunning country, and not expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Easy to avoid tolls in Austria last time we went this way:- Kiefersfelden, Apfeldorf, Jochberg and the Plöcken Pass. The pass is a good road and HGV's not allowed. Really nice way through Austria, need to set your sat nav to avoid Period use tolls but leave Per use tolls on or it will try to send you 150 miles to avoid a €7 tunnel.
Other easy way but brings you out a bit too far west is the Fern & Brunna Passes from Fussen.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
need your log book and proof of emissions class ( certificate of Conformity)
The log book I can do but not sure if I have a Certificate of Conformity.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
A go box will cost you €5 with a minimum top up of €75.
Went south to north last year, Brenner pass north via Innsbruck, used about €40 of tolls off the credit.
Buy before you get there at a motorway service station either side. Follow the instructions on the leaflet and no problem, although I did read recently that the system may have changed and they can do it all at point of sale, you will need your log book and proof of emissions class ( certificate of Conformity)
Lots of 3.5t weight limits off the motorways which may prohibit travel, if you obey them!
Kinda depends on your van size, if you’re 3800kg you may get away with it, but at 8.3m and 5.3T as I am I wouldn’t risk it, and wouldn’t fancy a 20% gradient much!!!

Like the Boy Scouts say, be prepared. Bite the bullet and pay the fees, and if not used you can request a refund. If you get caught on a motorway without one it will cost a whole lot more!!!

Stunning country, and not expensive.
As you say system has changed/improved a little in that presentation of V5C at point of sale and payment and all done. We planned a non toll route but width restrfictions in roadworks pushed us onto a motorway, we were then spoken to (nicely) by traffic officer and led to a purchase point. Was originally going to bite the bullet but persuaded to try without, didn't work but we were lucky.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
The log book I can do but not sure if I have a Certificate of Conformity.
I obtained my certificate from S V Tech. Not expensive. They may not be the cheapest for weight changes but not only are 5hey good (the best IMHO ) they often able to do things nobody else seems able to.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I obtained my certificate from S V Tech. Not expensive. They may not be the cheapest for weight changes but not only are 5hey good (the best IMHO ) they often able to do things nobody else seems able to.
Needed for emissions ( euro rating) not weight!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Needed for emissions ( euro rating) not weight!
Sorry should have made clearer , I was hitting a brick wall getting a C of C and called S V Tech on off chance they could guide me. No problem they said and emissions C of C sent almost by return.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
People have been driving around the mountains and alps for decades in lorries and towing caravans before toll roads were built......

I don’t see what all the fuss is about... kind of takes the edge of exploring and seeing the real country your going through...

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have found a C of C from Burstner which is all in German and looks to have some emissions figures on the back. Also Abgasnorm is stated as Euro 5+ so that must be what I need but it is from Burstner not Fiat.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
From the GoBox web site regarding what confirmation they require:

Important information for vehicle owners with a British vehicle’s registration: In addition to your vehicle registration you ought to send us the Reduced Pollution Certificate (RPC) and the Low Emissions Certificate (LEC) provided by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

What on earth are they?
No idea but my advice, for what it's worth, is buy go box on German autobahn service area before border, or if not on autbahn Guttman fuel stations sell them. I used a copy V5C and a copy of converters C of C. Took 5 minutes and no issues.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Are the services before the border well posted? Would hate to miss them.

If you provide C of C at services do you then have to send them to the Austrian authorities as proof?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

If you provide C of C at services do you then have to send them to the Austrian authorities as proof?

Not that I was bothered about getting one, I did not see anything that indicated that I needed one....

And to be honest I think I only saw one set of toll booths on a road that we had turned off from....

I’m out here now and will be crossing back in a couple of weeks and I’m not worried at all....

Save yourself some money and just put no tolls in your sat-nav from Munich and it’ll get you into Slovenia along a beautiful scenic road and you’ll wonder what all the fuss is about..... :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have found a C of C from Burstner which is all in German and looks to have some emissions figures on the back. Also Abgasnorm is stated as Euro 5+ so that must be what I need but it is from Burstner not Fiat.
The Burstner one is the only one that counts as is superceeds the Fiat one.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We stayed at a Campercontact aire just before Munich and on leaving went to see Dachau, from there we traveled along the A8 the satnav took us off just before Salzburg and we ran along the A159 alongside the a10 (toll road) to Radstadt where we stopped at a small campsite... from there the next day we went to lake bled... A99- A100 all the way to Villach, around villach on to a83 - a109 - a201 to bled... it says travel time from Radstadt to bled 3.11hrs but took much longer as we stopped to take photos and I driving like a Sunday OAP... I can’t say anymore how easy it was... my satnav is a garmin 760 and hasn’t let me down in 3yrs motorhoming, always set as fastest route, non tolls...

814F1E19-56F7-4022-AC5B-3B463ECDD76D.png
F220E2E0-1A10-4A29-8D47-6AD8E3CECA73.png

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve transited Austria several times. It really isnt difficult with a bit of planning.

Last time, we used the Plockenpass, stunning scenery, passable by HGV's but not for the nervous and had an overnight in the aire at Kufstein.

A nice alternative is to cross the alps using the grossglockner, it costs about 30 euros but is the most stunning road ( think opening of the italian job).

Be aware if you decide to use the Go Box you need the C Of C from the converter or you will get charged the higher rate and could get fined (like our friends did).

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985

They will show a sign for ASFINAG the issuing authority and I am pretty certain you no longer need to submit a copy electronically, if you do I'm in trouble.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
There’s not a lot of traffic on the roads over hardly any, people are patient as I was driving slow to enjoy the views and there’s lots of places to pull over and let some pass(y)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
It's now some weeks since we crossed into Austria via the Fern Pass on a Sunday morning back in April. The combination of non standard border cchecks into Austria and into Germany caused congestion and then road works and an accident on the descent resulted in 3 hours to cover 15 kilometres. Having cleared that we were stopped by a very helpful and understanding cop for entering 3.5 tonne weight limit created by road works on a bridge. Motorway only real option so go box acquired.
I have been travelling to or through Austria in a wide variety of car and commercial vehicles since 1967 and do enjoy the side routes and passes but I just do not want to have to make sometimes overly involved decisions about the route I wish to take. I see motorhoming as something that shouldn't be planned and often change my mind during the course of a drive and if it involves 25 or 225 kilometres on a motorway then so be it. Having a go box for Austria and Slovenia gives me that freedom. If I don't use all the credit I'll soon be back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back