"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are currently enjoying ibiza visiting friends and its glorious (a tad pricy though), came across on the scooter via the ferry, ferry back to the mainland on Saturday to continue our costas travel.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't know how that works?
The experience of suavecarve who has recently started a journal is not positive. The journals don't seem to produce the sort of interaction you get in a normal thread.

But have you thought of just writing a book instead? It's free to publish with Kindle and the learning curve isn't too steep I think now. When I did mine it was quite complicated if you wanted something which looked reasonable at the end of your efforts but the on-line tools they have now are much better I think.

Alternatively, start the thread and turn it into a book later - that's exactly what I did for the first one. :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The motorhome parking at Velez Rubio. We've avoided (don't know why) for a few years but it's not at all bad.

IMG_20230503_084812~2.jpg

Sufficient shade for the van, needed even in early May this year, but sun on the front where we've put the freestanding solar to help charge up the bike batteries (already charged).

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The motorhome parking at Velez Rubio. We've avoided (don't know why) for a few years but it's not at all bad.

View attachment 747293

Sufficient shade for the van, even in early May this year, but sun on the front where we've put the freestanding solar to help charge up the bike batteries (already done).
That looks a nice place. I've just been doing the "where are we going next" search and a lot of aires are not particularly attractive. But La Peza, which is a little west of Guadix looks good - so that's where we are heading tomorrow. So they can be found but there arecsome questionable spots to sift through first. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The experience of suavecarve who has recently started a journal is not positive. The journals don't seem to produce the sort of interaction you get in a normal thread.

But have you thought of just writing a book instead? It's free to publish with Kindle and the learning curve isn't too steep I think now. When I did mine it was quite complicated if you wanted something which looked reasonable at the end of your efforts but the on-line tools they have now are much better I think.

Alternatively, start the thread and turn it into a book later - that's exactly what I did for the first one. :)
Appreciate your comments, and understand your thoughts.
I m relatively happy with the journal (now I understand more)
It started off as a bit of a palaver but now I think it works for what I want.
Positives are that it keeps a nice record and can be referred to easily with a link that the reader doesn't have to go through the off topic bits.
Negatives (or area of improvement) is that there are only 3 authors and the foot traffic from appearing on the front page isn't generated. I think this will change along with the off topic posts when people get to know more. ( I may be wrong)
I note how many readers there are who don't leave a like or thank you (or rate the thread (I didn't know that til yesterday!)and from my aspect I feel like a train driver on a journey and passengers may go the whole route or drop off but their participation in the journey, whether they show appreciation or not, doesn't matter because I still get the best view.
I have considered a type of e book previously but "France for TFGs" may be a way off.
Thank you.

And a blatant advert !
Journal entry 'Vernet Les bains, gorges and abbey.' Broken Link Removed which is about the 12th entry !

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were at the IKEA parking around this time last year, me with a broken wrist sustained trying to ride above my capabilities down a rambla near Cartagena.

I had a very early hospital appointment at a hospital in Molina del Segura the next morning.

I have to say it wasn't a good experience of that particular parking 🤣

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We were at the IKEA parking around this time last year, me with a broken wrist sustained trying to ride above my capabilities down a rambla near Cartagena.

I had a very early hospital appointment at a hospital in Molina del Segura the next morning.

I have to say it wasn't a good experience of that particular parking 🤣
All the long stayers have gone or been booted of, only motorhomes on the Aire now and that's half empty.
We liked it, nice and relaxing free dump and water plus Aldi and alcompo for all your food, stayed three nights.
My only regret is it was to hot to shut the van and leave kitty for a day, otherwise we would have taken the tram into Mercia.
PXL_20230503_071637628.jpg

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I too love these threads and will be watching. Rog and I loved Spain in our brief transit to Morocco and are learning Spanish ready for a return visit. We are already quite fluent if you just want to discuss where your brother works and who he met in the pub. Less good on booking campsites and ordering food.

Is it true that journal entries don’t appear in “What’s new”? That would put me off using one next time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bearing in mind we, in this part of Spain, are in a drought situation, there was still water running across our track once!
I think it must be from the mountains as it always used to run year round under the bridge over the rambla on the way in to La Parroquia.
That "Gateway from Lorca " fascinates me due to its size & the fact it's on the roundabout..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I too love these threads and will be watching. Rog and I loved Spain in our brief transit to Morocco and are learning Spanish ready for a return visit. We are already quite fluent if you just want to discuss where your brother works and who he met in the pub. Less good on booking campsites and ordering food.

Is it true that journal entries don’t appear in “What’s new”? That would put me off using one next time.
They do appear in “what’s new” when you make the entry. However I believe other Funsters cannot comment on the journal thread so it doesn’t get side tracked, but this means that it doesn’t stay current

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I do like a good or indeed not so good travel thread and I do appreciate the time and effort it must take. However, I’m guilty of not commenting on travel threads much, although I do “likes” and stuff. I will comment more in the future.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Journal threads do appear in what's new.

The "issue" at the moment is that people don't know where to comment.
When they do comment it goes back to the top of what's new just like this thread, only once it drops off the first page, finding it is not by the usual method.
Pop into journals. Ignore my first 2 attempts. Bergues and dangerous roads and read 28 days in Languedoc or the one in Germany or Scotland.
The other beauty is you don't have to publish it if you don't want to. It also keeps a map

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back