A plea from me!!!! Anyone got an old 4G phone they don't need??? (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If we managed to get away to sunnier climbs I'm gonna have an issue with my sims!

My 2 existing sims (RWG and Vodafone) are only for UK use and are in my existing Xiaomi phone but as they are both known contact numbers for me for various places such as Mum's care home, banks etc both need to be usable so I can't simply take one out and put it away and replace it with a Lebara sim to use abroad.

At present my Lebara sim is in my MIFI and whilst I could carry that around with me when away and tether to it for internet obviously it's no good if I have to receive or make a phone call so ideally I need a 4G phone, nothing fancy, so I can put in one of my UK sims in it and the Lebara in my Xiaomi phone and just carry both with me.

I an old 3G phone but not sure if that will be fully usable in the EU and whilst I have an old unlocked Motorola 4G phone which I was able to use that it has now decided it doesn't want to recognise any sims at all ... I suspect the internal contacts are damaged/faulty so it's a brick, a small one admittedly, but nonetheless a brick!!!

So, I'm after a basic/cheap 4G phone, ideally a smart one as that's what I'm used to but not a problem if it isn't as I don't text much so will only really use it for making and receiving calls the rare occasions I need to but won't need internet.

Anyone got one gathering dust in a drawer that they'd be happy to flog to me? I could get one off Ebay but that's a bit hit and miss.

Tazzy has 'woofed' that she's gonna keep her paws crossed that someone has one! Well I think she is, she's hiding under a cushion at the moment! :giggle:

Tazzy hiding.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’d keep it simple.. you can set up a divert to other numbers which should solve your issue?

I would have though a MiFi would be more useful for the SIM you want to use for data?

I’ve got one spare, but it’s with me in Spain at the moment.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’d keep it simple.. you can set up a divert to other numbers which should solve your issue?
I could but I'd then be charged to forward the call from my UK sims which is at least 55p (that's in the UK from a UK phone), in addition there'd be a charge by the minute to receive it too so it's far from ideal, more importantly though it relies on the call being forwarded without delay which I'm not convinced would be the case.

I would have though a MiFi would be more useful for the SIM you want to use for data?
I'll be using it mainly for data but also want it so I can make calls if necessary which I wouldn't be able to do with it stuck in a MIFI - imagine I'm out on my own and have something I need to make a call about, I'd have to take the sim out of the MIFI, stick it in my existing phone, set-it up and then make a call, far from ideal hence why I want another phone.

I’ve got one spare, but it’s with me in Spain at the moment.
Guess where we're hoping to go! :LOL:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If we managed to get away to sunnier climbs I'm gonna have an issue with my sims!

My 2 existing sims (RWG and Vodafone) are only for UK use and are in my existing Xiaomi phone but as they are both known contact numbers for me for various places such as Mum's care home, banks etc both need to be usable so I can't simply take one out and put it away and replace it with a Lebara sim to use abroad.

At present my Lebara sim is in my MIFI and whilst I could carry that around with me when away and tether to it for internet obviously it's no good if I have to receive or make a phone call so ideally I need a 4G phone, nothing fancy, so I can put in one of my UK sims in it and the Lebara in my Xiaomi phone and just carry both with me.

I an old 3G phone but not sure if that will be fully usable in the EU and whilst I have an old unlocked Motorola 4G phone which I was able to use that it has now decided it doesn't want to recognise any sims at all ... I suspect the internal contacts are damaged/faulty so it's a brick, a small one admittedly, but nonetheless a brick!!!

So, I'm after a basic/cheap 4G phone, ideally a smart one as that's what I'm used to but not a problem if it isn't as I don't text much so will only really use it for making and receiving calls the rare occasions I need to but won't need internet.

Anyone got one gathering dust in a drawer that they'd be happy to flog to me? I could get one off Ebay but that's a bit hit and miss.

Tazzy has 'woofed' that she's gonna keep her paws crossed that someone has one! Well I think she is, she's hiding under a cushion at the moment! :giggle:

View attachment 852556
If your looking for a used cheap phone you could try CEX

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
What’s wrong with using your RWG SIM?
I’m using an RWG phone SIM with the Big Data package in EU. (Unlimited calls and texts and 200Gb Data in UK, restricted to 100Gb in EU.)
If that’s not your current RWG package can’t you just upgrade to Big Data for the month(s) required? That way you’ll keep your number and won’t need another phone and SIM.
Initially, I had some teething issues but, after an email to RWG Support, and a quick reset of my phone, all has been good in France and Spain so far. (Hopefully, in Portugal, too, in due course.)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What’s wrong with using your RWG SIM? I’m using an RWG phone SIM with the Big Data package in EU. (Unlimited calls and texts and 200Gb Data in UK, restricted to 100Gb in EU.)
If that’s not your current RWG package can’t you just upgrade to Big Data for the month(s) required? That way you’ll keep your number and won’t need another phone and SIM.
Initially, I had some teething issues but, after an email to RWG Support, and a quick reset of my phone, all has been good in France and Spain so far. (Hopefully, in Portugal, too, in due course.)
I've had a look at the RWG data plans (I'm PAYG) and whilst it would cost £10 to change to the a 20gb one pcm that's not a problem, what concerns me is after reading some of the issues people have had, you included it appears, with RWG for data it's not a risk I want to take as I need a reliable data connection when away hence getting a Lebara sim as I know from previous experience it will work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Yep, I confess the RWG SIM didn’t work on arrival in France. No calls, no texts, no data. (Had been working fine in UK for months beforehand. This is also used as my main internet access at home.)
However, the issue was resolved very promptly using RWGs support email service.
They didn’t say what it was, just that I needed to reboot my phone to reset the SIM. (Before contacting them, a phone reboot did not resolve the issue. Consequently, I figure that something had to be done remotely at their equipment, too.)
I do appreciate if you don’t want to take the risk, however.

My main UK phone is with Smarty. It’s been working here without any major problems, although it can suffer from patchy signal strength depending on location.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My Motorola Moto4G LTE died on me a couple of months ago. Duff antenna apparently and was going to cost more to mend than it's worth. Shame as I had it as a backup to My iPhone8. If you are any good at repairs, you are welcome to it.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Is your Xiaomi not dual SIM ? Just re read the opening post see you are already using both slots has hubby not got a spare slot or just take his phone off him 😂

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wow, you guys are so generous, thank you all so much.
Is your Xiaomi not dual SIM ?
Yes but I have 2 sims in it already both of which need to usable/contactable as they are logged with various places (one is for my bank accounts, care home etc and the other for Mum's bank accounts (we're with the same bank so I have to have 2 separate numbers); I can't simply take one out and keep it safe, hence a phone for one of them then I'll put the Lebara sim in it's place and just carry both phones around ... for a female who rarely has a handbag having to tote one around to put the phones in is gonna be a steep learning curve for me! :LOL:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Minxy does your phone have the capacity for an e sim? This way you may be able to have 3 on the one phone? (Not sure if you can have 3)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Wow, you guys are so generous, thank you all so much.

Yes but I have 2 sims in it already both of which need to usable/contactable as they are logged with various places (one is for my bank accounts, care home etc and the other for Mum's bank accounts (we're with the same bank so I have to have 2 separate numbers); I can't simply take one out and keep it safe, hence a phone for one of them then I'll put the Lebara sim in it's place and just carry both phones around ... for a female who rarely has a handbag having to tote one around to put the phones in is gonna be a steep learning curve for me! :LOL:
A good old fashioned bumbag .od be lost without mine

other brands are available :giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doesn't your present phone have dual SIM slots.
I think most SIM /micro SD trays will take a second SIM in place of the SD slot.

EDIT....sorry just seen post 22

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy does your phone have the capacity for an e sim? This way you may be able to have 3 on the one phone? (Not sure if you can have 3)
No, just 2 physical sim slots. You can get them with 2 physical and 1 e-sim I think but that would be a mega expensive way to do it! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If we see loads of 4g smart phones appearing on eBay then we know who to come looking for.
:rofl: :rofl:
:LOL: No way, I like to make a bit of dosh at times but wouldn't do that ... I'd end up being ostracised and banned from the forum forever and I just couldn't exist without you lovely lot ... well most of you anyway!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Doesn't your present phone have dual SIM slots.
I think most SIM /micro SD trays will take a second SIM in place of the SD slot.
See OP and post 22 and all will be revealed. :happy:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back