A class and coach (5 Viewers)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When searching for 2nd hand really wanted A class but the daft bed over cab that only a 20 year old could use put me off. It just seemed to add weight in the wrong place and take away light from the otherwise airy cab. The layout was the same irrespective of A class or low profile in my price range so in the end a maxi chassis low profile won.
It depends what you buy. But why can't you use a bed a 20 year old can?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It depends what you buy. But why can't you use a bed a 20 year old can?
Stats say I'm mildly on the younger side of the forum demographic but I certainly don't bend as well as I did when I was 20. Even with my planned rigorous sit down and drink wine regime I can't see that changing

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Depends on the model, both A Class vans we have had access has been easy without a ladder, the newer vans the beds come down lower.
We don't use it as our main bed but find it very useful on occasions, wouldn't want to be without it.
The A class we bought had cupboards at the front instead of the bed. As it was it really suits us as it’s only ever the 2 of us sleeping in it (fixed beds at the back) and hubby is 6.5 so really liked the extra headroom at the front with the extra storage.

If it had had a drop down bed installed we still would of bought it tho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
When searching for 2nd hand really wanted A class but the daft bed over cab that only a 20 year old could use put me off. It just seemed to add weight in the wrong place and take away light from the otherwise airy cab. The layout was the same irrespective of A class or low profile in my price range so in the end a maxi chassis low profile won.

We don’t have have a drop down bed at the front. As you say, it takes away light and space. Not having the bed there means that you can walk the whole length of the vehicle and have seven overhead lockers which you wouldn’t have if the bed were there.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We don’t have have a drop down bed at the front. As you say, it takes away light and space. Not having the bed there means that you can walk the whole length of the vehicle and have seven overhead lockers which you wouldn’t have if the bed were there.
We did see a few A class without the over cab bed and they looked fantastic but they didn't quite tick enough of the other boxes on our list, low beds, separate shower/bathroom, private bedroom - I know, we were quite picky

NZSteve

Free Member
Jan 27, 2020
new zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer BL694SL
Exp
Maybe not a problem in the UK but A Class are really hit given the big glass window with not Luton over the top. Today its 32 degrees and even with the blinds drawn its stinking hot in the front of the can

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We did see a few A class without the over cab bed and they looked fantastic but they didn't quite tick enough of the other boxes on our list, low beds, separate shower/bathroom, private bedroom - I know, we were quite picky

That’s strange. It’s usually a choice when ordering... so, the layout on the vehicles without a drop down bed is exactly the same as those with a bed at each end.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maybe not a problem in the UK but A Class are really hot given the big glass window with not Luton over the top. Today its 32 degrees and even with the blinds drawn its stinking hot in the front of the can
We find the A Class cooler when driving, although it's a big screen it's a lot further away from you.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Go down tp "Southdown Motorhomes" near Portsmouth,they have the vehicles you are asking about.If you can reach to a " Concorde" ,you will get invited to a factory tour ,usually in May.At the moment they have a sale on too.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0277 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_0277 (640x427).jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 43

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes but 60 cm in front of the windscreen is the front of the vehicle. Been in A class for 6 years and still getting used to it
60cm? More like 25cm unless you have a weird one. :LOL:
Never found it a problem fine after the first couple of miles but took a couple of months to get used to the sides of the body being so far away from the seat.

A front camera helps for close maneuvering.
1580640065630.png

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OMG - heated toilet cassette!

That's got to be the ultimate luxury. I can't believe this isn't even available as an option on a PVC. Poor relations, we are. :sick:

Every locker including cassette locker are heated in the B544 with the exception of one underfloor locker which is not , so handy for backup stock of beer .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Stats say I'm mildly on the younger side of the forum demographic but I certainly don't bend as well as I did when I was 20. Even with my planned rigorous sit down and drink wine regime I can't see that changing

We are both 3/4 of a century in age and still use the drop down bed in our Hymer no problem and the lounging space and driving position the a class provides is very good.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We are both 3/4 of a century in age and still use the drop down bed in our Hymer no problem and the lounging space and driving position the a class provides is very good.

Yes and when the A class is only 6.48 metres the drop down bed is essential, not so much so if you are talking 8metre+

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
60cm? More like 25cm unless you have a weird one. :LOL:
Never found it a problem fine after the first couple of miles but took a couple of months to get used to the sides of the body being so far away from the seat.

A front camera helps for close maneuvering.
you are probably right. Front camera probably a good idea

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So far I think Le Voyageur are the only manufacturer to offer a camera system rather than mirrors, (y)

Martin
They are coach mirrors but the van does not have a vertical front so cannot see the front of the vehicle

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our drop down bed is probably better than the main bed in a lot of coachbuilts

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Distance to the front is exactly the same a a standard cab.
Not always the area above the dash in our Euramobil was over a metre with the engine below so when you get to the windscreen is flat at the front unlike most cabs are a lot smaller distance than that and the bonnet then sticks out.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's about the only layout difference with our new van, we never used and didn't want the drop down in the Flair so going with the extra space light and cupboards as you say, TV will drop out of the centre cupboard over the dash.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back