Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And the steering?
Unless it's a steering box and drag links that can't be moved.
They don't need to move the steering rack only the wheel so thereby the column of course, if you look at a IVECO daily van you will see the steering wheel position is like in a car, then look in an A class MORELO or Concorde and you will notice the wheel is much flatter more like a truck, that's because the whole control assembly has gone forward.

Martin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In my case. The need for a flat floor front to rear without any step up once you are in the unit. It is / was that simple. What I do notice is that there are a lot of unnecessary "Squeaking" from the Dash panels. can be annoying!. I came from R-V`s, via a coach built and unless "they" take away my C1 at some point this will be my last coach anyway. That is the other thing. I know not of ANY "A" that manages to get under 3.5t and over 6M

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
In my case. The need for a flat floor front to rear without any step up once you are in the unit. It is / was that simple. What I do notice is that there are a lot of unnecessary "Squeaking" from the Dash panels. can be annoying!. I came from R-V`s, via a coach built and unless "they" take away my C1 at some point this will be my last coach anyway. That is the other thing. I know not of ANY "A" that manages to get under 3.5t and over 6M
Exsis and older b classes?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We’ve had both coach built and A class.
We like the fact the width at the cab is the same down the sides with A class.
The van seems more spacious and is definitely more open and user friendly.
Plus with the Hymer it gives the dog a playroom-on the dash!
43551001-96B3-432B-ACB5-903C871A5B58.jpeg

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Gas storage, with the extra width of cab our gas locker, lhd, is beside passengar seat. Gets weight forward and gives back the space they would otherwise be in. Yes engine service is awkward but not impossible. Another downside could be cost of headlights or non fiat panels, but the cab space , double floor etc make up for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All they do is move the windscreen forward over the engine. There may be some liner-class that move the controls but it would be a very costly exercise for little gain. What I really like is the luxury size drop-down, ready-made, bed. My wife uses the similarly ready-made fixed bed at the rear. Bed-time conversations are a bit difficult as apart from the distance there are two sliding door sets in the way too.
Yes it is Liner class I am describing, under 7490kg would be IVECO daily as nobody bothers with the chassis mods on the FIAT or Mercedes, over 7500kg is on a truck chassis.

I assume you have so maybe you could tell me how.
If you go to one of the German shows Meier usually have a fully prepared IVECO daily chassis otherwise you can go around the N+B in November at their open weekend, MORELO and Concorde offer factory tours for their visitors on the open weekend in May.

csm_empire_palace_chasis_2_d8951853dc.jpg

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As well as the better insulation, a slightly better payload the doors and other steel bits on a coach built carry a weight penalty.
Actually like for like the A Class version is usually is a bit heavier with less payload. Look at the Hymer Exsis & Carthago C Tourer they both have A Class versions and Semi-integrated versions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Gas storage, with the extra width of cab our gas locker, lhd, is beside passengar seat. Gets weight forward and gives back the space they would otherwise be in. Yes engine service is awkward but not impossible. Another downside could be cost of headlights or non fiat panels, but the cab space , double floor etc make up for it.
Comes down to the model both the Hymer A Class vans we have had the gas locker has been in the garage, struggled with rear axle weight on the Exsis, no problem with the B DL.

Headlamps again depends on the model, I think the plastic ones in our Hymer DL are only around a couple of hundred Euro.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
When searching for 2nd hand really wanted A class but the daft bed over cab that only a 20 year old could use put me off. It just seemed to add weight in the wrong place and take away light from the otherwise airy cab. The layout was the same irrespective of A class or low profile in my price range so in the end a maxi chassis low profile won.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When searching for 2nd hand really wanted A class but the daft bed over cab that only a 20 year old could use put me off. It just seemed to add weight in the wrong place and take away light from the otherwise airy cab. The layout was the same irrespective of A class or low profile in my price range so in the end a maxi chassis low profile won.
Depends on the model, both A Class vans we have had access has been easy without a ladder, the newer vans the beds come down lower.
We don't use it as our main bed but find it very useful on occasions, wouldn't want to be without it.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
The chance to be driven mad by trying to do ANYTHING under the hood. A class have got a letterbox slot that allows you to do nothing with ease, even topping the oil up is difficult.
Apart from that if it is newish then it is lovely to be inside and not worry about 'under there'.

If you were or are a gynaecologist then it’s less of a problem :giggle:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Like our A class, big garage loads of exterior storage, Ski locker, big double floor and every single locker and space is heated, even the toilet cassette.
Pull down double massive and comes so low you don't need a ladder as you did in the 2 A class Hymers we had.
All under 6.5 metres but a massive payload, rear axle spare 900kg imagine trying to exceed that.

But then again I like quality panel van conversions too but you can't get the incredible storage on them as on A class.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Depends on the model, both A Class vans we have had access has been easy without a ladder, the newer vans the beds come down lower.
We don't use it as our main bed but find it very useful on occasions, wouldn't want to be without it.
That's part of the dilemma and why there is no perfect motorhome - we're all different and have different requirements which is a great thing.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Like our A class, big garage loads of exterior storage, Ski locker, big double floor and every single locker and space is heated, even the toilet cassette.
Pull down double massive and comes so low you don't need a ladder as you did in the 2 A class Hymers we had.
All under 6.5 metres but a massive payload, rear axle spare 900kg imagine trying to exceed that.

But then again I like quality panel van conversions too but you can't get the incredible storage on them as on A class.

OMG - heated toilet cassette!

That's got to be the ultimate luxury. I can't believe this isn't even available as an option on a PVC. Poor relations, we are. :sick:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

That's got to be the ultimate luxury. I can't believe this isn't even available as an option on a PVC. Poor relations, we are. :sick:

Yes it probably is, sure CS reisemobile it is an option, lovely to open the exterior cassette locker and the whole lot is nice and warm inside, nice hand warmer for me taking it to the dump point :LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
90% of the ones we looked at have Big Garages, wherby the bed is above said garage. Which might be OK for the fit and agile. What I have to consider is the safety aspect when accessing a bed, and more so getting out in the night for the inevitable "night" needs, without the risk of falling from some step. 3 steps to bed and down in the dark is a risk too far, So when you rule out the garage, and the fact the "Drop Down" too, is too high?. Where do you go?. Hence my comment viz, Nothing I know under 6M AND 3.5t?. And definitely not in an "A" Class. Unless you know different, but having spent many hours looking on websites I have yet to find one that ticks all those boxes?. Factor in a decent size shower room. And I am back in R-V territory?.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
wouldn't want to be without it.
Me neither - I'd have nowhere to sleep :ROFLMAO: . It's low enough to step on off the side seats. It's electric. It's the biggest bed in the van. What more could you want?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I said that a long time ago and got shot down in flames.
It was said some makers move the bulkhead, steering wheel and pedal box further back.
To this day I can't see how this is possible.
If you look at my little picture on the left it shows the MB chassis cowl and it is identical to the van cab version just no panels at all on the outside, the bulkhead is the same as is all the wiring couplings and battery, etc the Hymer body just fits over like a cardboard box bolted to the chassis.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you look at my little picture on the left it shows the MB chassis cowl and it is identical to the van cab version just no panels at all on the outside, the bulkhead is the same as is all the wiring couplings and battery, etc the Hymer body just fits over like a cardboard box bolted to the chassis.
Absolutely correct and that explains why you get the big dashboard on Mercedes based “A class” vans.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Fairly standard on any winterised van, even the low profile Hymer we had, had it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back