90 in 180 France maybe concessions (1 Viewer)

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
reading "the connexion" an online expat site they say Clement Beaune the French europe minister announced France may look at ways of extending the 90 days for visitors including second home owners.
So maybe a glimmer of hope, but of course it is only may!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
reading "the connexion" an online expat site they say Clement Beaune the French europe minister announced France may look at ways of extending the 90 days for visitors including second home owners.

I think it's a given that with a bit of water under the bridge, the future will see quite a few areas like this where we will negotiate and make special arrangements with our friends and neighbours across the pond. London is France's 6th largest city after all. So something like that say for homeowners, which might work to everyone's benefit, will I'm sure be looked at over time.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Has anyone started to work out their 90 in 180 yet? I'm thinking about getting over ASAP just to start the 180 off early - then when late summer comes around we are into our next 180 days. Would give us 90 days up to July then 90 after that ....

i will move this comment and start another thread, so as not to impact on the OP ! so please comment there as opposed to hijacking this thread !

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
How does it work? Is it any 180 day period or does it start at day one of a trip? If I do a day trip would that start the 180 days? If I do several short trips how do they add them up?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How does it work? Is it any 180 day period or does it start at day one of a trip? If I do a day trip would that start the 180 days? If I do several short trips how do they add them up?
A couple of calculators:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

A couple of calculators:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It doesn't matter when you start as its not calender based its a rolling 180 days

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks I think I understand it, so a day trip would not help.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
In the actual event , if you are not working, taking someone's job, I don't think they will give 2 f..... how long you stay there putting money into their economy. (y) (y)
i only wish that was the case, but lets not think we are that important, lets look at how they treat 'overstayers' at the moment and assume we will be treated the same - does anyone have any actual examples of what happened to 'overstayers' (not those who they allow to leave in the back of a lorry or a rubber dinghy .....)

i would imagine at the very least it would be a black mark in your passport, restricting further entry

PS - and there are many many threads on just what might happen, so i dont think we need to clutter the OP's thread with repeating previous discussions ....

Deleted User
What do they do with the thousands of illegal immigrants camped at Calais when they have been there over 90 days. Nowt.
Completely different scenario, in the main they will not have documents, no intention of returning to France.

If you contravene the Schengen rules everything will be documented and recorded on computer, accessible in seconds.

My experience of officialdom in most countries is of the 'computer says no' variety, the border force/ customs official will have little choice in the matter, the offence will be on the record for others to see and will probably produce an automated response.

Unless French law is altered to diverge from the Schengen agreement, I have no idea whether this is likely or even possible, then it will be treated as an offence.

Are you prepared to be the guinea pig?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Completely different scenario, in the main they will not have documents, no intention of returning to France.

If you contravene the Schengen rules everything will be documented and recorded on computer, accessible in seconds.

My experience of officialdom in most countries is of the 'computer says no' variety, the border force/ customs official will have little choice in the matter, the offence will be on the record for others to see and will probably produce an automated response.

Unless French law is altered to diverge from the Schengen agreement, I have no idea whether this is likely or even possible, then it will be treated as an offence.

Are you prepared to be the guinea pig?
30 days at a time is well plenty for me mate, so afraid it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We intend to spend some winters in Spain or Portugal, so we will now have to limit the time to 90 days, we cannot fly as we have dogs and I'm not prepared to put them in the hold. If it doesn't change them we will cope, as I understand it the 90days is not a new thing, it just was not enforced so it may not change at all. Time will tell. Also insurance is problematic if away for over 90 days so We will probably not exceed it anyway.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp

Consequences of overstaying in Schengen Zone​

Despite that there is not a common policy for all Schengen Member States on the overstaying penalties, each of the states applies different types of penalties.

Therefore, the consequences of overstaying in Schengen territory, whether your visa or the permitted 90 days for nationals of the countries under the visa-waiver program, depend a lot on the number of days you have overstayed, and the country you get caught in. Germany is known to have the strictest immigration laws in the EU in this direction; while Greece is known for applying very high fines to those caught overstaying.

In general, all of the member states apply one of the following types of penalties for overstaying a Schengen visa or a permitted stay.

Deportation​

When you get caught staying illegally in Europe, you will totally be deported to you home country. The deportation procedures depend on your case and the country where you are caught. You may be deported immediately, within just a few hours or after a few days. On the other hand, if you get caught engaging in paid activity while overstaying your visa, or engaging in illegal activities, you will most possibly be taken into custody where you will wait for your trial. If you are found guilty then you will be held in prison or fined with a high amount of money. Upon completing the punishment, you will then be deported to you home country and banned from entering the Schengen for a specific amount of time.

Deportation is always followed by another consequence. Usually you will know about it before being deported, since you will receive the decision on you case. If you have just overstayed a few days, and you are lucky to be caught in one of the countries that go easy on overstayers, you may leave without another penalty.

Difficulties coming back to Schengen​

Even if you get back to your home country without any fine or ban, you should know that your overstaying will cause you problems the next time you attempt to enter the Schengen Zone. Immigration officers and border guards tend to be suspicious on people who overstay once, no matter in which country they were caught overstaying. Therefore, you will encounter difficulties on getting a Schengen visa or crossing the EU external borders.

Fine​

This is the most often penalty for overstaying a visa. Depending on the member state, the fees are applied differently. However, if you are caught after you have illegally remained in the Schengen for a longer time, aside of a fine being applied to you, you will also be banned from entering the Schengen Area for an appointed period of time, or even forever.

Ban​

Banning people from entering the Schengen is usually applied to those overstaying and working or engaging in other illegal activities. A person can be banned for a period of three years and more from entering any of the member states of the Schengen area.

No consequences​

There are also cases when people do not bear any consequence for overstaying their visa. If you are a child, or a person that cannot travel without a caretaker because of an illness or disability, then most possibly you will not face any consequences for overstaying.

On the other hand, if you face an accident or unforeseen illness, or you are in a situation that does not permit you to travel to your home country, then you are strongly advised to apply for a Schengen visa extension instead of overstaying.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Someone mention money into a economy, correctly it Currency not money. Mute point however one that it going to raise its head shortly

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
What do they do with the thousands of illegal immigrants camped at Calais when they have been there over 90 days. Nowt.
Label them illegal....then do nothing :rolleyes:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Consequences of overstaying in Schengen Zone​

Despite that there is not a common policy for all Schengen Member States on the overstaying penalties, each of the states applies different types of penalties.

Therefore, the consequences of overstaying in Schengen territory, whether your visa or the permitted 90 days for nationals of the countries under the visa-waiver program, depend a lot on the number of days you have overstayed, and the country you get caught in. Germany is known to have the strictest immigration laws in the EU in this direction; while Greece is known for applying very high fines to those caught overstaying.

In general, all of the member states apply one of the following types of penalties for overstaying a Schengen visa or a permitted stay.

Deportation​

When you get caught staying illegally in Europe, you will totally be deported to you home country. The deportation procedures depend on your case and the country where you are caught. You may be deported immediately, within just a few hours or after a few days. On the other hand, if you get caught engaging in paid activity while overstaying your visa, or engaging in illegal activities, you will most possibly be taken into custody where you will wait for your trial. If you are found guilty then you will be held in prison or fined with a high amount of money. Upon completing the punishment, you will then be deported to you home country and banned from entering the Schengen for a specific amount of time.

Deportation is always followed by another consequence. Usually you will know about it before being deported, since you will receive the decision on you case. If you have just overstayed a few days, and you are lucky to be caught in one of the countries that go easy on overstayers, you may leave without another penalty.

Difficulties coming back to Schengen​

Even if you get back to your home country without any fine or ban, you should know that your overstaying will cause you problems the next time you attempt to enter the Schengen Zone. Immigration officers and border guards tend to be suspicious on people who overstay once, no matter in which country they were caught overstaying. Therefore, you will encounter difficulties on getting a Schengen visa or crossing the EU external borders.

Fine​

This is the most often penalty for overstaying a visa. Depending on the member state, the fees are applied differently. However, if you are caught after you have illegally remained in the Schengen for a longer time, aside of a fine being applied to you, you will also be banned from entering the Schengen Area for an appointed period of time, or even forever.

Ban​

Banning people from entering the Schengen is usually applied to those overstaying and working or engaging in other illegal activities. A person can be banned for a period of three years and more from entering any of the member states of the Schengen area.

No consequences​

There are also cases when people do not bear any consequence for overstaying their visa. If you are a child, or a person that cannot travel without a caretaker because of an illness or disability, then most possibly you will not face any consequences for overstaying.

On the other hand, if you face an accident or unforeseen illness, or you are in a situation that does not permit you to travel to your home country, then you are strongly advised to apply for a Schengen visa extension instead of overstaying.

Have all Schengen countries acted into their domestic law an offence of overstaying the Schngen limits? Or is there an 'EU Regulation', but doubtful if it can be prosecuted against an individual?

If not, there is no offence to charge one with when caught in a country if that country has no law.

Geoff

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Have all Schengen countries acted into their domestic law an offence of overstaying the Schngen limits? Or is there an 'EU Regulation', but doubtful if it can be prosecuted against an individual?

If not, there is no offence to charge one with when caught in a country if that country has no law.

Geoff
The first line states "Despite that there is not a common policy for all Schengen Member States on the overstaying penalties, each of the states applies different types of penalties."

I'm not a legal expert; but, I would not like to use that line (there is no offence to charge one with when caught in a country if that country has no law.) with border control if challenged....

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Thinking about it, I can't see how this would work. If the French gave someone a visa how would they stop you from going to Spain as there is no border.

Is residence different? If you are a resident I imagine you are entitled to unlimited Schengen travel and thus it's not a problem.

OP
OP
Euromobil

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Thinking about it, I can't see how this would work. If the French gave someone a visa how would they stop you from going to Spain as there is no border.

Is residence different? If you are a resident I imagine you are entitled to unlimited Schengen travel and thus it's not a problem.
I suppose the difference would be you are legal in France but not in Spain. It may be hoped that if one (tourism) nation starts making exceptions others may well follow, who knows

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I suppose the difference would be you are legal in France but not in Spain. It may be hoped that if one (tourism) nation starts making exceptions others may well follow, who knows
True. But how would anyone know how many days you had done in Schengen when there are no borders.

If, say, you have French residency you can visit Spain for 90 days in 180. But as there is no border how would they prove that you were illegal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back