90 in 180 France maybe concessions (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What do they do with the thousands of illegal immigrants camped at Calais when they have been there over 90 days. Nowt.
That's because they are potless & you aren't:xsmile:
If, say, you have French residency you can visit Spain for 90 days in 180. But as there is no border how would they prove that you were illegal.
Many of you are mixing up 2 completely different things.
EU 90 days is nothing to do with 90days in 180 for non -eu
An EU citizen or ANY permanent foreign resident can spend up to 90 days in another EU state. If they leave after that & go next door the clock start s again, & again & again. The same as it does for an EU national.

90 days in 180 is a rolling period that allows NON-EU citizens that maximum amount in ALL & ANY EU state.Then you have to leave.

However my driver has read something this morning ( I can’t remember where and he isn‘t here right now to ask) suggesting that because we would be travelling to our country of residence, the days spent en route to Greece and then returning to U.K. won’t count against the 90/180.
As above as a Greek resident ,obtained before the end of the transition period , you come under the terms of the Withdrawal act , which maintains your prior rights ,in perpetuity. You can spend as long as you like in any state up to 90 day, then pop next door.
The Schengen 90/180 day rule does not apply to EU citizens,
No only thrid country citizens. As above the "90 days " in one state is completely different
as I am now no longer a citizen of an EU state but have residency in Portugal then the 90/180 day rule will apply to me except when I am in Portugal.
No it doesn't work like that. You are still classed as you were before as "Portugese without the passport", You have the same rights you had before as they are retained under the Withdrawal act.
I may be wrong, but from what I read this wasn't true. Like I say I stand corrected but I gleaned that only EU citizens could spend unlimited time in the schengen area. Not residents.
No ,as above. We retain exactly the same rights as we had before the UK left. up to 90 days in one EU state then go next door in the next one. Ad Infinitum
This is why there was difficulty in many eu states in obtaining late residency as it was due to the EU wanting one identity card for all states to make it easier .
You can still use any type of original residency document here & in other states that adopted WA 18.4. Those who adopted WA 18.2 require you to obtain a new document.
Here Spain adopted WA 18.4 but I ,along with many others on the forum, have swopped for the new plastic TIE as it is far easier to use, & allows inter EU travel without any passport.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
What do they do with the thousands of illegal immigrants camped at Calais when they have been there over 90 days. Nowt.
There you go then, that's the answer. Rock up at one of those super luxurious refugee camps we see on the ~TV and claim to be a refugee. Can't see why that wouldn't work :rolleyes:

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
That's interesting and makes sense. What difference has Brexit made?

Quite simply less tax to be paid in France because the exchange rate has gone down, but the Pound is still the Pound in the UK just not worth as much!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
matamoros & Offagain The only thing that you both need to check is what the country you have residency in has agreed in the Withdrawal act. I:E which article it chooses to be under as to whether you have to swop your exsiting residency paper/card for a new type.
Or whether you can choose to swop to make life easier & get the new TIE card.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
matamoros & Offagain The only thing that you both need to check is what the country you have residency in has agreed in the Withdrawal act. I:E which article it chooses to be under as to whether you have to swop your exsiting residency paper/card for a new type.
Or whether you can choose to swop to make life easier & get the new TIE card.
Well you will be pleased to know that both Portugal & Greece opted for the 'Declaratory' system , as did Spain, & therefore what documents you had before remain perfectly valid. But ,as we have done , it might be an idea to enquire about the new type card , which basically is a straight swop , if you have paper ones.

from here;

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Many of you are mixing up 2 completely different things.
EU 90 days is nothing to do with 90days in 180 for non -eu
An EU citizen or ANY permanent foreign resident can spend up to 90 days in another EU state. If they leave after that & go next door the clock start s again, & again & again. The same as it does for an EU national.

90 days in 180 is a rolling period that allows NON-EU citizens that maximum amount in ALL & ANY EU state.Then you have to leave.
Exactly my understanding, and clearly explained by gus-lopez. Two different things entirely and a very different impact if you are a non-EU citizen.

Deleted User
Well you will be pleased to know that both Portugal & Greece opted for the 'Declaratory' system , as did Spain, & therefore what documents you had before remain perfectly valid. But ,as we have done , it might be an idea to enquire about the new type card , which basically is a straight swop , if you have paper ones.

from here;
In Portugal we have already been informed about the new cards and we are already in the queue for the biometric.
Some that have recently been issued with a new 10 year residency card also have to go through the same process.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Sorry about that you're probably right. I've read it so many times and assumed it to be true. Even Macron claimed it a couple of years ago, maybe he was trying to get a bite too :RollEyes:.

I remember it when it came out and I thought "No Way" but like you have pointed out there are numerous quotes including Macron about it.

What shocked me more than anything about it was the small amount of people (against my perception) in Montpellier, Marseilles Lyon Toulouse Bordeaux etc

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I remember it when it came out and I thought "No Way" but like you have pointed out there are numerous quotes including Macron about it.

What shocked me more than anything about it was the small amount of people (against my perception) in Montpellier, Marseilles Lyon Toulouse Bordeaux etc
I think it all started off as the "UK" being Frances 4th biggest city ( which is what I had stated elsewhere & what I had always read) but somehow it got changed to 'London'
When it came to voting in the UK at French elections they always used to state between 4 & 500,000 French citizens scattered about the UK.This was from back in 2014
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26823489

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone started to work out their 90 in 180 yet? I'm thinking about getting over ASAP just to start the 180 off early - then when late summer comes around we are into our next 180 days. Would give us 90 days up to July then 90 after that ....

i will move this comment and start another thread, so as not to impact on the OP ! so please comment there as opposed to hijacking this thread !
Probably not until September or October if we’re lucky

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
So is that a 9 year old census ?thanks
Something more recent for you.

Even Emmanuel Macron, then campaigning for the presidency in February 2017, reaffirmed that London was “the sixth [largest] French city.”

However, this is not true, as Guillaume Bazard, Consul General de France in London, assured French Morning London on Tuesday, July 2, at the opening of a conference organized by the French Chamber of Great Britain and ESCP Europe on the impact of Brexit on businesses. “There is no basis to say that London is the sixth largest French city,” said the representative of the State.

Despite a decrease of 0.88% over one year, there were 146,213 registered French nationals living in the U.K. on January 1, 2019, compared to 147,506 on January 1, 2018. However, the Consul General in London estimated that “only one French person residing in the United Kingdom out of two registers” in general, so the actual number would vary between 200 and 250,000.

According to the latest INSEE figures, Nantes is currently the sixth largest city in France, with its population of 303,382.

Is London Really the Sixth Largest French City? Here's the Truth. - Frenchly

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Even Emmanuel Macron, then campaigning for the presidency in February 2017, reaffirmed that London was “the sixth [largest] French city.”

However, this is not true, as Guillaume Bazard, Consul General de France in London, assured French Morning London on Tuesday, July 2, at the opening of a conference organized by the French Chamber of Great Britain and ESCP Europe on the impact of Brexit on businesses. “There is no basis to say that London is the sixth largest French city,” said the representative of the State.

Despite a decrease of 0.88% over one year, there were 146,213 registered French nationals living in the U.K. on January 1, 2019, compared to 147,506 on January 1, 2018. However, the Consul General in London estimated that “only one French person residing in the United Kingdom out of two registers” in general, so the actual number would vary between 200 and 250,000.

According to the latest INSEE figures, Nantes is currently the sixth largest city in France, with its population of 303,382.

It is quite amazing how the amount has fallen in the last 4 years.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Sorry about that you're probably right. I've read it so many times and assumed it to be true. Even Macron claimed it a couple of years ago, maybe he was trying to get a bite too :RollEyes:.

After the Olympics in 2012, Boris Johnson then the mayor of London put on an event to thank all the games makers. Still flushed with the great success that the games were Boris enthused about what a wonderful city London was. He continued with a tale about the mayor of Bordeaux who he had recently dined with. Apparently the French mayor was quite rightly rather proud of his city, he told Boris his city was the sixth largest in France, at this point Boris felt the need to tell to inform him that he had more French citizens in London than the population of Bordeaux.
Below is a photo of the event showing part of the former Olympic village.
1609620680396.png
1609620680396.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As far as I'm aware your passport is scanned by customs on departure from the UK and also as you enter mainland Europe. That record is available to all customs computers, Europe wide (maybe world wide)
Your passport will be scanned on your leaving the EU and return home.
It will automatically register over stay and any penalties willbe applied.
I think.
It's been a good few years since we've been on a ferry crossing, however, on the Tunnel it's only the UK Border Control who scan our passports ( to and from). The French just wave us through every time. As mentioned previously, I can't remember the last time a non UK Official even looked at our passports, never mind scanned them. Based on that routine continuing, would we be penalised by the UK Border Control for over staying the 90/180?

Many thanks to jumartoo Judith, and gus-lopez Richard, for explaining the difference between the EU 90 day, and the 90/180 day rules.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

How would they know? as movements aren't accurately reported and no work visas etc required. A trawl though the NI numbers could help but still was a grey area between visiting and living as it is across the whole Schengen zone.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, and it is they who always wave us through without checking our passports, as explained in my post above.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂
Has anybody been through since the 1st to confirm but considering they were testing French customs systems a few weeks ago when the first queues of lorries appeared you would think it was unlikely they will now waive you through like previously and need to scan the passports.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
How would they know? as movements aren't accurately reported and no work visas etc required. A trawl though the NI numbers could help but still was a grey area between visiting and living as it is across the whole Schengen zone.
Theoretically they are supposed to register with the embassy . Similar to what we are supposed to do. For spaiards there is also an " I've left the country" register that they are supposed to register in but few do.
With the French the most accurate amount would be when there are elections & they all register & vote at the embassys & consulate

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
True. But how would anyone know how many days you had done in Schengen when there are no borders.

If, say, you have French residency you can visit Spain for 90 days in 180. But as there is no border how would they prove that you were illegal.
I thought if you had french residency there was no limit ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apply before 31st December....last year....was the easiest solution wherever you wanted to become resident....
Don't think he has a time machine ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back