MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Has anyone started to work out their 90 in 180 yet? I'm thinking about getting over ASAP just to start the 180 off early - then when late summer comes around we are into our next 180 days. Would give us 90 days up to July then 90 after that ....

my thoughts are (and i know we cant travel yet - but if we could get a cheeky one day trip into the Schengen area)

for example

enter schengen on Jan 10th - + 180 days = approx July 10th - so anything after that date is a new 180 day period, so we could do 10th July onwards until the next 90 days ran out

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Has anyone started to work out their 90 in 180 yet? I'm thinking about getting over ASAP just to start the 180 off early - then when late summer comes around we are into our next 180 days. Would give us 90 days up to July then 90 after that ....

my thoughts are (and i know we cant travel yet - but if we could get a cheeky one day trip into the Schengen area)

for example

enter schengen on Jan 10th - + 180 days = approx July 10th - so anything after that date is a new 180 day period, so we could do 10th July onwards until the next 90 days ran out
I can't see the point in travelling sooner than you want to or at the moment have to. If you don't go in January you can still go in July just the same.
Hopefully it won't be a decision left for anyone to take. I think we are in the place we are with covid largely because of allowing too much travel and mixing.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
lots of calculators on the web, but it really isnt that difficult - day 1 is the first day you enter , you then have 180 days from that point in which you can be in schengen for 90 days, after that 180 days a new 180 day period starts again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I can't see the point in travelling sooner than you want to or at the moment have to. If you don't go in January you can still go in July just the same.
Hopefully it won't be a decision left for anyone to take. I think we are in the place we are with covid largely because of allowing too much travel and mixing.
we have a static out there, and are looking to maximise our time - we usually go late March for 3 weeks, then May for 3 or 4 weeks, then mid july up until mid september - so for us, starting early seems to help us out

if we waited until late March to make our first trip, then we couldnt do our uninterrupted mid july until mid september 'stint' - thats if i have worked it out correctly of course

which i have since found out i havent worked it out correctly - thanks to those who pointed it out !!

Last edited:

Deleted User

for example

The only way that scenario would apply is if your first trip was 90 days, as has been said it is a rolling 180 day period, not fixed.

Deleted User
we have a static out there, and are looking to maximise our time - we usually go late March for 3 weeks, then May for 3 or 4 weeks, then mid july up until mid september - so for us, starting early seems to help us out

if we waited until late March to make our first trip, then we couldnt do our uninterrupted mid july until mid september 'stint' - thats if i have worked it out correctly of course

In that scenario the 180 day period would work backwards from mid September and you would have 90 days in total in that period so you would have to reduce some of the periods.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

If your 3 to 4 week trips end up being 3 rather than 4 you're only a couple of weeks over the 90 anyway.
I would wait until after vaccination (both doses) otherwise you might risk not getting much at all permanently and if you get a less serious infection missing more of your time there than by delaying
As I said hopefully there won't be an option I don't think we ought to be allowing people into the UK as tourists without vaccination I'm sure if thats the case it will be reciprocal.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
In that scenario the 180 day period would work backwards from mid September and you would have 90 days in total in that period so you would have to reduce some of the periods.
and thats why i asked for advice LOL - i will get it sorted somehow, but thanks for the heads up - back to the drawing board methinks or we will just apply for a visa (visa de long séjour temporaire (VLST) for the summer period and use schengen up until then as it appears visa time doesnt impact on Schengen time !

Last edited:

Deleted User
and thats why i asked for advice LOL - i will get it sorted somehow, but thanks for the heads up - back to the drawing board methinks or we will just apply for a visa (visa de long séjour temporaire (VLST) for the summer period and use schengen up until then as it appears visa time doesnt impact on Schengen time !

Whereabouts is your static, we have one near to La Baule in Southern Brittany/Loire Atlantique, had it for 14 years now, usually visit May, June and September.

We have Portuguese residency now so hopefully we will be able to visit as often as we want although our past visits would have fitted in anyway.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm hoping that once things have settled down and are clearer then there will be some type of visa system for longer stay tourists.

I just checked what USA citizens need - a visa for the 90/180 days but if they want to stay longer than 90/180 a residency permit is required. This doesn't appear to recognise the travelling tourist where there is no permanent address.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Whereabouts is your static, we have one near to La Baule in Southern Brittany/Loire Atlantique, had it for 14 years now, usually visit May, June and September.

We have Portuguese residency now so hopefully we will be able to visit as often as we want although our past visits would have fitted in anyway.
we are in Challans on the Vendee - so i assume you virtually drive past us if travelling from Portugal or we are less than a couple of hours away if coming from La Baule ??

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
From The Guardian - I think it is quite a good summary of what we know so far.

What does all this mean for holidays this year – if and when they are allowed to resume?While the coronavirus crisis has pretty much put a halt to all immediate travel, when the current restrictions are lifted and European trips can resume, Brits face some significant changes over the next two years.
While most of those taking city breaks or beach holidays to an EU country (plus Norway, Switzerland and Iceland) will see little immediate difference, the picture is markedly different if you travel a lot or spend a significant amount of time in the EU.
Britain and the EU have agreed visa-free travel for short visits, meaning UK passport holders can spend up to 90 days in the its Schengen zone during any 180-day period.
This can be in a series of short visits or one long visit, and it applies to all EU countries with the exception of the non-Schengen countries Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. You could make a 90-day trip to any of those and still not use up your 90-day allowance. The same is true of Ireland, which allows unrestricted travel from the UK as part of a common travel area for British nationals.
From 2022 (the exact date is yet to be confirmed), you will have to buy a visa waiver for holidays and short stays in the EU. This is not a visa but a permission to enter. It will cost €7 (£6.29) and will be issued under the European Travel Information and Authorisation System, similar to the Esta permit currently required to visit the US.

I usually spend more than 90 days in the EU over a six-month period as a tourist – will I be able to with a visa? Probably not. The Brexit agreement clearly restricts short trip visits to a maximum 90 days within one 180-day period. While the UK government says Brits who have exceeded their 90 days will be able to apply for a visa to stay longer, the European commission says that once the 90 days are up, the person would cease to be a tourist or “short stay” visitor, and would have to apply for a full long-term immigration visa – with all the costs and hassle that that entails.
As it stands, someone spending May, June and July with a friend in Spain would not be able to return visa-free to any EU country inside the Schengen travel area until November – six months after they arrived in Spain. So, for example, if they wanted to visit Venice in August, that might prove tricky.

However, each EU country has the right to set its own entry terms. It is possible that, for example, the Spanish or Portuguese governments, which are keen on maintaining UK tourist levels, could decide to offer an easy, non-work visa in the future, but this is by no means a given.

Expect more details to emerge from EU countries during the coming months – but don’t bank on it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume this is the category you'd be applying for:

1609586780105.png

Visa de long séjour (séjour de plus de 3 mois à 1 an) | service-public.fr (service-public.fr)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There 'might' be a way to get a Spanish one ... this mentions 'tourist'

1609588978104.png

<Broken link removed>

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I think we must be very careful about what effect these visas have, even if one qualifies.

They specifically exempt the holders from applying for a residence card which one would normally have to do after 90 days in France. That 90 day rule applies equally to Citizens of Schengen and non-Schengen countries.

The information on the visas makes no mention of exemption from the Schengen 90/180 rule. If there is no exemption from that it would be of no advantage to UK residents adhering to the Schengen 90 days rule, since they would never be required to apply for a French Resident's card

A visa would only be of benefit to Schengen citizens to avoid applying for a residence card., not even to British people registered as residents in Schengen countries, like myself, who are still bound by the Schengen 90/180 rule for all Schengen countries except their host country.

[Note all Schengen countries require anyone to register their prescence after 90 days but their specific requirements are not all like the French ones]

Geoff

Deleted User
we are in Challans on the Vendee - so i assume you virtually drive past us if travelling from Portugal or we are less than a couple of hours away if coming from La Baule ??
Yes we pass by Challans frequently on our travels, we stored our 5'er on a site north of St Gervais for a few years while we were at our static.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'm hoping that once things have settled down and are clearer then there will be some type of visa system for longer stay tourists.

I just checked what USA citizens need - a visa for the 90/180 days but if they want to stay longer than 90/180 a residency permit is required. This doesn't appear to recognise the travelling tourist where there is no permanent address.
I’ve said this before and kind of goes with the post about Schengen, or rather non Schengen countries.

Western Europe in particular will be crying out for tourists from anywhere. As the UK Make up quite a large percentage of tourism. My thoughts are, the government’s of Portugal, Spain and maybe France will be looking to lure us back.

I am hoping spain will enter a bi-lateral agreement with the UK, similar to what the Norwegians have with some countries.

offering a extra stay visa.

A friend of ours used to spend winters in Spain, renting a villa for 4-6 months.

She has now switched to Portugal. She applied for some form of residency, not sure what type.

Her requirements were in December 2020. Already one down to Spain.

*Passport
*Proof of income over €1,060 per month
*Proof of rental agreement

No referee or references required.

Lasts for 5 years.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Western Europe in particular will be crying out for tourists from anywhere. As the UK Make up quite a large percentage of tourism. My thoughts are, the government’s of Portugal, Spain and maybe France will be looking to lure us back.
I think you are correct.

Although it doesn't affect me (at least at the moment) I am watching and waiting with interest.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I’ve said this before and kind of goes with the post about Schengen, or rather non Schengen countries.

I am hoping spain will enter a bi-lateral agreement with the UK, similar to what the Norwegians have with some countries.

offering a extra stay visa.

A friend of ours used to spend winters in Spain, renting a villa for 4-6 months.

She has now switched to Portugal. She applied for some form of residency, not sure what type.

Her requirements were in December 2020. Already one down to Spain.

*Passport
*Proof of income over €1,060 per month
*Proof of rental agreement

No referee or references required.

Lasts for 5 years.
My honest view is Spain and Portugal have not lost out on tourism, the Summer big spenders on their family package holidays have not been restricted....its only a restriction on winter visitors that is happening due to 90/180...its not a total ban on winter visitors, all other nationalities will be here as usual.
Part of the Spanish coast is totally dead during winter, but during the summer months you cannot get a place on the beach......seasonal tourism is sustainable, as is restricted tourism....
The running of a Spanish campsite needs a very small number of filled pitches to run, the remainder is profit and further development.....pitch fees in the winter, as low as possible to cover running costs, in the summer...BOOM...thats when the money come in....
Some bars and restaurants close in the winter, their income comes from Holiday makers...
A total ban on Brits would be damaging to Spain Tourism, a restriction, lets see, its early days, loads of differences to cope with, even for us here in Spain.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I'm thinking of doing the odd job (HGV driving) into Europe. How will the powers that be know what my commercial activity is as opposed to my leisure activity. It will most likely take me over the 90 in 180 day limit..:unsure:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I'm thinking of doing the odd job (HGV driving) into Europe. How will the powers that be know what my commercial activity is as opposed to my leisure activity. It will most likely take me over the 90 in 180 day limit..:unsure:
Not sure there is a difference between short stay or business or leisure trips. In a similar position as used to (pre-covid) travel into Europe 10 days a month for work so would quickly be over the limit without factoring in leisure trips.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Not sure there is a difference between short stay or business or leisure trips. In a similar position as used to (pre-covid) travel into Europe 10 days a month for work so would quickly be over the limit without factoring in leisure trips.
I'll ask DVSA tomorrow (if anyone is there)? and post the response. Suppose the easiest answer if over 90 day limit is 'chauffeur de camion' EU and UK. If stopped at Calais.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
From .gov.uk website!

'UK drivers will be able to continue to operate in the EU without the need for a visa, providing they do not spend more than 90 days in the EU within any 180-day period'

Looks like a lot of UK long distance drivers will be looking for another job?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have read somewhere that those involved in transport companies are exempt from the 90/180 rule, which made me think of starting a transport company offering delivery of MHs as one service. Driving the MH would be 'for attending transport shows and exhibitions as staff accommodation'. Not sure if it would wash.

But delve into the Schengen rules the transport company exemption may be there.

Geoff

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
If that's true? It's not a bad idea! (y) In reality when I worked HGV, All my work was EU based minimum 3 weeks out (with some return loads to the UK) So I don't think the EU can effectively stop your employment?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back