3way fridge thermal gel replacement ? (2 Viewers)

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
I used syringes of the copper thermal paste very easy, not quite as good thermal conductivity as the GD900 but more than good enough for the job. Anything is better than what Dometic use.
Copper reacts with aluminium accelerating its oxidisation.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
So looking to get proper thermal mastic that used in the refrigeration industry as I didn’t fancy using computer based products with metals that will react with the aluminium and accelerate it’s oxidisation. They also seemed a bit thin in consistency and maybe continue to creep (run).
Not an easy product to find unless your in America, DeVan 310 or similar is used by Norcold Dometic Electrolux etc.
Mobile RV maintenance seemed to be the only company selling online in uk @ £42.
But managed to find another product in the Uk Keil Q771000 same mastic cartridge size and maybe more than I need?
I’ve sourced it from a company called Die-Pat in the UK at £32 inc postage.
Although not cheap it would probably do several fridge freezers from the one cartridge, so would be more cost effective if shared etc. I will see what’s left once both finned panels are done in my RMDT 8501.

IMG_1051.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So looking to get proper thermal mastic that used in the refrigeration industry as I didn’t fancy using computer based products with metals that will react with the aluminium and accelerate it’s oxidisation. They also seemed a bit thin in consistency and maybe continue to creep (run).
Not an easy product to find unless your in America, DeVan 310 or similar is used by Norcold Dometic Electrolux etc.
But managed to find another product in the Uk Keil Q771000 same mastic cartridge size and maybe more than I need?
Although not cheap it would probably do several fridge freezers from the one cartridge, so would be more cost effective if shared etc. I will see what’s left once both finned panels are done in my RMDT 8501.

View attachment 878017
Those mastic based ones are rubbish they dry out after a few years they are also too thick and if you apply them too thickly they make the heat transfer worse. The one Dometic use is awful that is why we are all having to replace it.

The ones for the electronic/computer industry are far superior have far better heat transfer properties, thinner so actually easier to apply and they are fit and forget as they don't degrade like the mastic ones.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

View attachment 878017

For the extra you will gain for the extra money you spend on thermal paste you have highlighted does not add up and I feel that you are maybe over thinking the task.
Go by what other Funsters have done and the results of what they have used.
The GD900 thermal paste I and other Funsters have used is effective and a is sensable price.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
Those mastic based ones are rubbish they dry out after a few years they are also too thick and if you apply them too thickly they make the heat transfer worse. The one Dometic use is awful that is why we are all having to replace it.

The ones for the electronic/computer industry are far superior have far better heat transfer properties, thinner so actually easier to apply and they are fit and forget as they don't degrade like the mastic ones.
This product is from commercial fridge industry, not from dometic.
How do you know that these CPU products won’t dry out and corrode over time it’s not like you have a long term test to rely on.
I tend to think it’s just a lack of quality control in the manufacturing process as some are ok and others aren’t.
Look at some of the American TV industry videos etc, guys with much more experience than all of us. They aren’t making these claims about the mastic. I’m sure if there was an issue they’d be on it.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
For the extra you will gain for the extra money you spend on thermal paste you have highlighted does not add up and I feel that you are maybe over thinking the task.
Go by what other Funsters have done and the results of what they have used.
The GD900 thermal paste I and other Funsters have used is effective and a is sensable price.
GD900 is £5+ for 30g it would be £50+ for same quantity

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This product is from commercial fridge industry, not from dometic.
Why did you put a link to a Dometic product then?
How do you know that these CPU products won’t dry out and corrode over time it’s not like you have a long term test to rely on.
Maybe because I've spent nearly all my working life in the electronics industry.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007

Maybe because I've spent nearly all my working life in the electronics industry.

but this isn’t electronics

I didn’t link a dometic product ???
It’s used throughout the refrigeration industry.

Having knowledge in electronics,
But not in refrigeration?
I’m sure there are similarities in electronics heatsink.
But they’re two totally different environments in temperature and humidity as well as others.
Like say oil it’s all lubricant but it got so many more attributes to deal with hence different viscosity and different additives.
I’m sure if the product was capable it would be manufactured and marketed in that area also.
My mastic isnt dried out after 10 years it still has good adhesion, but it sparse and patchy in places.

I not here to preach just leaving some info for others looking to source the right product the choice is there's.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
You are comparing good quality thermal past with crap mastic.
But the thermal paste isn’t designed to be in the fridge or freezer environment.
If it was capable surely the manufacturer is missing a trick in revenue and marketing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I didn’t link a dometic product ???
It's in your post#153

There are enough posts on the forum about the paste used by the manufacturers drying out and becoming useless with fridges not working.
The stuff used in the refrigeration industry is very much cost oriented that why it is a fraction of the cost of a good quality thermal paste that the electronics industry uses.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
It's in your post#153

There are enough posts on the forum about the paste used by the manufacturers drying out and becoming useless with fridges not working.
The stuff used in the refrigeration industry is very much cost oriented that why it is a fraction of the cost of a good quality thermal paste that the electronics industry uses.
All pastes have a drop in performance and shelf life, the CPU pastes are no different and most of these say 2yrs?
Many of these fridges are years older when they notice a drop in performance, and some have admitted to patchy and sparse amounts also.
I actually can’t remember many actually renewing there's with the relevant mastic.
And there’s certainly nothing factual or scientific to prove it’s better in this environment.
Sometimes things look like they’re better but over a period they’re more costly.

But as I said I’m not preaching, people can make their own minds up.
just giving info where to get it in the Uk.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly

You chose to rain on my parade you could have saved you so called breath ages ago.

What a pleasant soul aren't you, you asked the question and didn't get answer you wanted or agreeing with you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Show me a link to a Dometic product ?
The link is to a product Keil Q771000
The information sheet on the application of mastic is Dometic literature
The photo in #153 is a Dometic product.

Anyway I'm out, your are welcome to use the crap you like as you don't appear to like advice on good quality products.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just use the electronic heat sink paste. Mine lasted from 2017 to 2022. When I stripped the fridge down it was still like the day I fitted it and the fridge was always working well 👍

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
What a pleasant soul aren't you, you asked the question and didn't get answer you wanted or agreeing with you.
I asked nothing, I merely put a post about sourcing thermal mastic in the uk, it was you that said I was doing it wrong, and now your gaslighting. I just choose to think that the manufacturers normally know a thing or two about there industry. Easy as that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back