3way fridge thermal gel replacement ? (1 Viewer)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
There is a section on here all about this, we all used GD900 Thermal paste

From ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You might just get away with turning the thermostat right up to the warmest position if you fit fans onto fins with the attached thermostat phial.

Presuming the Dometic stats are quite similar to the Danfosss No.4 below.
Warmest setting cut out is -1°c

Screenshot_20170812-115240.png

The usual domestic fridge thermostat is the No.3 which does have a much colder range.

Edit: also depends how close the fan air stream is to the phial of course. 😊

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When we bought our present MH the fridge/freeze performance was woefully poor, and it became an obsession of mine to get it doing what I felt it should be doing.
After many mods and additions, some rather extreme, it looks like I may have finally beaten it into submission.
My last mod on our Dometic RMSL5801 was to extend the burner chimney from its existing finishing point which was midway up the back of our F/F unit right to the top back corner of the top vent.
Its real first test was at last weekend at the Newark meeting. We have 5 temperature settings on our F/F and normally the best setting is on number 4, but after the chimney mod, this has now dropped to number 2 and stepped up to number 3 mid-afternoon with the sun directly on the F/F side of the van to get 4c in the fridge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we bought our present MH the fridge/freeze performance was woefully poor, and it became an obsession of mine to get it doing what I felt it should be doing.
After many mods and additions, some rather extreme, it looks like I may have finally beaten it into submission.
My last mod on our Dometic RMSL5801 was to extend the burner chimney from its existing finishing point which was midway up the back of our F/F unit right to the top back corner of the top vent.
Its real first test was at last weekend at the Newark meeting. We have 5 temperature settings on our F/F and normally the best setting is on number 4, but after the chimney mod, this has now dropped to number 2 and stepped up to number 3 mid-afternoon with the sun directly on the F/F side of the van to get 4c in the fridge.
Interesting do you have any photos?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Okay Lenny, the chimney mod has been through a few changes of length to see what effects it had, hence the changes of tubing material in the photos.

The original Dometic angled chimney was fitted as the chimney exited the insulated chimney cover.
The top section is an old silicone radiator top hose that I had laying about and the curves suited getting the outlet close to the inside of the top fridge vent.
I think that the extra length of the chimney is holding the heat for a longer time against the boiler rather than it being drawn up the chimney quickly, so needing less heat input.
Would be interested in your views.

One of the other things I did not like about our F/F installation was the excessive gap between the condenser and evaporator fins and the wall of our van as the air being drawn up from the bottom vent would in my view not be drawn onto the condenser fins as we as if the gap was narrower, so I made and fitted an aluminum and styrofoam arrangement to reduce the gap.
I also found that the best position for the thermistor for the digital extractor fans controller was about 2/3rds along the condenser fins touching the pipe.

Orginal Dometic chimney top
1651310796673.png

1651310821829.png

1651310838478.png

1651310873268.png

1651310895539.png

Top vent with 3 x 140mm high CFM fans that can be each indevidually switch on or off if needed.

1651310921603.png

Another 140mm high CFM fan sucking in air in the bottom vent that can be switched on or off and this has
a 5 second delay in starting after the top vent fans have started.

1651311120022.png

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Okay Lenny, the chimney mod has been through a few changes of length to see what effects it had, hence the changes of tubing material in the photos.

The original Dometic angled chimney was fitted as the chimney exited the insulated chimney cover.
The top section is an old silicone radiator top hose that I had laying about and the curves suited getting the outlet close to the inside of the top fridge vent.
I think that the extra length of the chimney is holding the heat for a longer time against the boiler rather than it being drawn up the chimney quickly, so needing less heat input.
Would be interested in your views.

One of the other things I did not like about our F/F installation was the excessive gap between the condenser and evaporator fins and the wall of our van as the air being drawn up from the bottom vent would in my view not be drawn onto the condenser fins as we as if the gap was narrower, so I made and fitted an aluminum and styrofoam arrangement to reduce the gap.
I also found that the best position for the thermistor for the digital extractor fans controller was about 2/3rds along the condenser fins touching the pipe.

Orginal Dometic chimney top
View attachment 612379

View attachment 612380

View attachment 612381

View attachment 612382

View attachment 612383

Top vent with 3 x 140mm high CFM fans that can be each indevidually switch on or off if needed.

View attachment 612384

Another 140mm high CFM fan sucking in air in the bottom vent that can be switched on or off and this has
a 5 second delay in starting after the top vent fans have started.

View attachment 612385
Looks great. How did you attach the fans to the grill, out of interest?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Thought I'd post up the paste replacement with some pictures, help those wavering if to do this or not - it's very easy. Fridge is a Dometic, from 2006.

First off, you might want to remove the top shelf to make access easier - just pull the 2 clips off like the one I'm pointing to below, then slide the whole shelf to the left to free the right hand side from it's mounts.

IMG_2136.jpg

There's a temperature probe to remove, just push it up a bit to begin with, take it off fully when you remove the cooling fins.

IMG_2135.jpg

Next, remove the 8 torx head screws - so you'll need a torx driver - from between the fins, and the whole fins unit then just comes away. Clean the remains of any old paste off both the back of the fins and the pipes in the fridge wall.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

Then, get the syringe of the paste - I used Halnzie HY610 Gold from Ebay - and just trace it along the black pipes in the back of the fridge.

IMG_2132.jpg

I used 2 syringes - 1 would have been a bit mean I think. Finished result:-

IMG_2133.jpg

Then refit and screw back into place the aluminium fins unit, not forgetting the temperature probe has to go back in here:-

IMG_2134.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
My fridge is dometic but the fins look identical.
Take out top shelf unscrew the screews on show.
Unplug the wire to the fin and gently pull it off.
Scrape off the old paste from the back and gently off the pipes at the rear of the fins. Wipe off with white spirit.
Apply new paste and re fix fins.
It really is as easy as that i was hesitant but anyone could do it.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
Fins removed and lots of paste still there and not dry, I have bunched it together to refit or should I replace? Thanks
F5637B56-D02C-406F-9F1D-15C388A7417F.jpeg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Fins removed and lots of paste still there and not dry, I have bunched it together to refit or should I replace? Thanks
View attachment 649350
I've still not done the paste replacement task on our fridge.
Got the paste ready but not made time to do it, but if that paste is the old stuff I reckon clean it off and use a new paste product.

edit: my "ready to go" paste is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39375118...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

sorry. don't know where all the extra spam comes from in the link. Make x = t and this is the 'clean' link hxxps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393751181967

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
View attachment 649350
Definitely clean it all off, including the black pipe work, apply new stuff to the full length of the black pipe. Does the black pipe not loop back again?

It’s not completely dried out but it will be far less efficient than new stuff.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
No loop back which seems odd from all the pics I’ve seen

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
View attachment 649350

The thermal paste that Dometic and Thetford apply is very poor in comparison to what's available.
I replaced our thermal paste a few years ago with a high performance GD900 thermal paste which made a big difference to the cooling of our F/F.
To get a good thermal paste cost a few bob if bought in the UK, but you can get GD900 thermal paste from Amazon delivered from China in a couple of weeks (I had 2 x 30g pots delivered this week)
If you can hang on for a couple of weeks, then I would clean off and apply the GD900 when it arrives, or if you need to use your F/F sooner, then refit your fins now with what you have there for the present time, and then do the job when the GD900 arrives.
A 30g pot will be enough for what you need.

Amazon product ASIN B09JFSHZRM

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The thermal paste that Dometic and Thetford apply is very poor in comparison to what's available.
I replaced our thermal paste a few years ago with a high performance GD900 thermal paste which made a big difference to the cooling of our F/F.
To get a good thermal paste cost a few bob if bought in the UK, but you can get GD900 thermal paste from Amazon delivered from China in a couple of weeks (I had 2 x 30g pots delivered this week)
If you can hang on for a couple of weeks, then I would clean off and apply the GD900 when it arrives, or if you need to use your F/F sooner, then refit your fins now with what you have there for the present time, and then do the job when the GD900 arrives.
A 30g pot will be enough for what you need.

Amazon product ASIN B09JFSHZRM
That's what I bought - well, I've used the MHF forum to guide me so should be the right paste I ended up with :LOL:
I spent a little more but it's a kit. That may help the new fridge query or maybe they've got applicators. 🤷‍♂️
1659708014178.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's what I bought - well, I've used the MHF forum to guide me so should be the right paste I ended up with :LOL:
I spent a little more but it's a kit. That may help the new fridge query or maybe they've got applicators. 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 649379

Missed that one on eBay as I did a UK search only. :(
Buying it in a syringe is the better option.
Funster Antique and I replaced his F/F thermal paste with the GD900 this week and it was a bit of a messy job getting thermal paste out of the pot and into a syringe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used syringes of the copper thermal paste very easy, not quite as good thermal conductivity as the GD900 but more than good enough for the job. Anything is better than what Dometic use.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Les -post no 75 should give you the information that you need 👍

• Thanks