1st Time Motorhome, 10 day hire, pick up from Nottinghamshire, where to go? (1 Viewer)

AntP123

Free Member
Feb 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Will hopefully own one down the line but have decided to start off by hiring one for 10 days this summer to see how we go. Party of 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) and the dog. We collect from Nottinghamshire and have looked at so many potential routes that our heads are beginning to hurt! Current flavour of the week is Cornwall but wife has been told that it will be incredibly difficult to drive along a lot of the smaller roads there? Am thinking this can't be right; ideally would have a night or two at several different places down there but just wanted to get some advice from the experts as to whether this seems a reasonable plan for first timers. Aware we'd have to stop half way down for the night so any suggestions as to where we could stop but also best places to stay down in Cornwall would also be appreciated. We won't have any additional transport other than a bike so ideally wherever we stay needs to be close enough to beaches at the very least. Thanks in advance.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
I would say stay away from Cornwall in what sounds like it will be a large MH. Wales would be much better, plenty of beaches and everything more spread out. You could overnight in Shropshire.
Although not every road in Cornwall is small and narrow, those that are not can be easily jammed up in Summer and there is more or less only one way in and out, M5 and A30.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi
I would say stay away from Cornwall in what sounds like it will be a large MH. Wales would be much better, plenty of beaches and everything more spread out. You could overnight in Shropshire.
Although not every road in Cornwall is small and narrow, those that are not can be easily jammed up in Summer and there is more or less only one way in and out, M5 and A30.
Great advice (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Interested in what van that is to take 5 plus a dog and whether any advice is offered on weight and licence requirements.
Are you taking 5 bikes too ?
We went to IOW (red funnel) with our 3 teenagers, years ago now. 2 dogs 5 bikes 😳 had a fabulous time. First holiday in our new to us MH. We didn’t know about weights back then.
Thank goodness we were never stopped or had an accident.
I’d say Wales over Cornwall too or even Dumfries and Galloway

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Have you checked if any cornish site has spaces in summer, are you looking for an activities site like hendra or a campsite right on the beach with just toilets
What size van are you hiring
Cornwall is easy in one go, I regularly drive straight down without stopping (from the loughborough area) but getting around in the summer queues can be time consuming.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Cornwall, Summer, motorhome, 1 or 2 night stays per site, 5 large persons and a dog. It is doable but wouldnt be high on my list of stress free holidays.

I d be more tempted to go East if Beach is your thing, or do Yorkshire and northumberland areas.

Weight is most certainly going to be an issue for you. Ask your rental company what the technical payload is of the motorhome you are renting is. Ask what extra has been added to that (solar battery awning etc. Then be brave, ask your wife her weight (and take cover) and add up just the weight of your family and dogs. Then you can see how much cutlery, dog food, food for yourselves, beer, clothes, cycles, etc you can legally take.

If you know the van youre renting bung it on here and we ll have a payload for you quite quickly.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Cornwall isn’t a problem assuming you’re staying on sites with good access from main routes and not planning to use the MH to go off exploring each day. The locals are used to the driving habits of visitors and are generally courteous if you find yourself in a tight spot. Unfortunately there are examples every summer when folks turn their brain off and get into difficulties, but that can happen anywhere. Somewhere like Pentewan Sands might suit you, but will be busy as will most in the high season - right on the beach, near a good pub, cycle routes & bus to Mevagissey, Heligan and Fowey & beyond.
Ignore signs at your peril!

8F7E2836-CC36-49CB-AB33-115E7BAE7B84.jpeg
B53AA90A-EC44-4025-98E4-D375CA4AD4E2.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun.
Curious as to whom the hire company is in Nottinghamshire?
Think you are on the right path though in hireing beforehand to a possible purchase.
East coastal areas of the UK ( whitby down to Lowestoft) would be my suggestion.
Good luck 👍😊

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Although you say it's a 'one off' - it might be worth joining one of the big clubs as they do 'pop up sites' in the summer in various locations?

OP
OP
A

AntP123

Free Member
Feb 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Interested in what van that is to take 5 plus a dog and whether any advice is offered on weight and licence requirements.
Hi, it's a SWIFT EDGE 486. Never thought to check weight but can be driven on standard licence apparently.

OP
OP
A

AntP123

Free Member
Feb 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Cornwall, Summer, motorhome, 1 or 2 night stays per site, 5 large persons and a dog. It is doable but wouldnt be high on my list of stress free holidays.

I d be more tempted to go East if Beach is your thing, or do Yorkshire and northumberland areas.

Weight is most certainly going to be an issue for you. Ask your rental company what the technical payload is of the motorhome you are renting is. Ask what extra has been added to that (solar battery awning etc. Then be brave, ask your wife her weight (and take cover) and add up just the weight of your family and dogs. Then you can see how much cutlery, dog food, food for yourselves, beer, clothes, cycles, etc you can legally take.

If you know the van youre renting bung it on here and we ll have a payload for you quite quickly.
Hi, Yorkshire and Northumberland was the original plan and probably still the best one to be fair. We weren't sure whether there would be enough 'stops' to cover the 10 days or whether we'd end up doing the coast in 4/5 days then needing to plan somewhere else to head. Would be happy doing the 10 days there to be honest. Van is a SWIFT EDGE 486.

OP
OP
A

AntP123

Free Member
Feb 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun.
Curious as to whom the hire company is in Nottinghamshire?
Think you are on the right path though in hireing beforehand to a possible purchase.
East coastal areas of the UK ( whitby down to Lowestoft) would be my suggestion.
Good luck 👍😊
Many thanks. Hiring from a company called Granthams who are based in Retford.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi, Yorkshire and Northumberland was the original plan and probably still the best one to be fair. We weren't sure whether there would be enough 'stops' to cover the 10 days or whether we'd end up doing the coast in 4/5 days then needing to plan somewhere else to head. Would be happy doing the 10 days there to be honest. Van is a SWIFT EDGE 486.
A motorhome of the year in 2020 for being family friendly and 6 berth, so you couldnt have chosen much better !
6 berths AND 6 travel seats
This is a link to the weight issue of the motorhome discussed on here previously.
Other threads have little to do with you as you are renting
According to them, you have 509 Kgs of payload but its difficult to work out if that is before or after they have added oil, a 70kg passenger, 1/4 of a tank diesel and 25% water.
It will be (in all likelihood) before they added the microwave, awning, possible tow bar, bike rack, extra solar (if any), electric cable, television (if any)

If you took your best case scenario, then you have 509 kgs available (less the above) for 4 passengers and the dog with all your clothing, cutlery, food, full tank of diesel, water, laptops etc.
I suspect the real available weight would be closer to 300 to 350 kgs which is quite good in comparison to some others! but not great at all in your circumstances, if the van is weighted at 3500 kgs.
Doable, but you ought to be quite strict on what you take.

For the purposes of information only, in the eyes of the powers that be, should you be stopped, they have an advisory 5% so that is another 175kgs that is available to be carried before a ticket is issued. But if you were stopped at 3,600 kgs you are overweight, but, in every likelihood (not guaranteed), will be given words of advice rather than a ticket.

Best of luck and enjoy it,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back