1998 Hymer Starline 680 Indicator Fault Finding (1 Viewer)

davestewart68

Free Member
Apr 10, 2023
Gloucester, UK
Funster No
MH
Starline 680
Exp
3 years
Rapid / hyper flashing indicators. All indicators working, just flashing fast. Hazards flash at normal rate. Front indicators are bulbs, side and rear are retro-fit LEDs. Rear lens looks old so I think they've been fitted for a few years. Previous owners assure me the indicators did work normally. There was a fault at pre-sale MOT, OSF and OSR indicators out, auto-electrician fixed and they now work, but as I discovered on driving away, they flash too fast.

Research points to relay (not rated for LED) or ballast resistors. I'm inclined to think otherwise if they've worked OK in the past (no previous MOT advisories for rapid flashing).

Currently thinking is to test earth for each indicator individually, mainline each lamp earth to the battery negative, one at a time whilst Indicators active to see if that triggers normal flash rate.

I have the Haynes manual and wiring diagrams for the base vehicle, 903 Merc Sprinter, though not a qualified electrician, they're of limited use to me.

There is tow bar electrics fitted, and the cap to the connector is missing, that could be causing corroded wiring, possibly.

Also, I notice underneath, towards the rear, there is an exposed wiring junction box (cover is misplaced). I think this splices the wiring from the rear clusters to the tow bar electrics.

If I get a long piece of wire, with a croc clip on one end, to secure to the battery negative, and a probe connector at the other end, I could use this around the vehicle at each individual light cluster. I'll be trying that today to see if it's an earthing issue.

Any other pointers? Anyone close go Gloucester able to come and look with me? Happy to pay for services if we find the fix!

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
I would think that the led lights are the problem if it still has the original flasher unit, it may of had a resistor fitted to fix this.
If you have a 12v test light try putting that on one of the indicator lights+12v when it's flashing and see if that changes the flash rate, indicators flash to fast when there is not enough load on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back