‘Unexploded bombs’: call for action after 11 deaths in UK due to e-bike fires (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Cheap Chinese diesel heaters in motorhomes most surely pose a similar risk?
A tyre is more likely to have a burst than a Chinese diesel heater. A diesel heater is like a very small AGA with a fan, and you light it with a glow plug, instead matches or lighter.
A lpg tank or bottle is many more times dangerous than a fan assisted oil burner.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Serioulsy I used to work as QA in bananas, and yes we measure the bend internal length, bend external length, the colour, the markings, temps and umpteen other things for brussels. :eek:

This regulation requires that bananas as a minimum standard must not have "abnormal curvature"[5] although no definition or guidance was given about the degree of curvature that would be regarded as "abnormal". That led to various stories about an EU ban on curved bananas.[6] It has been frequently repeated by Europhiles and Eurosceptics alike, the former tending to regard it as an apocryphal or misleading Euromyth[6] and the latter regarding it as an example of needless European bureaucracy.[7]

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
This regulation requires that bananas as a minimum standard must not have "abnormal curvature"[5] although no definition or guidance was given about the degree of curvature that would be regarded as "abnormal". That led to various stories about an EU ban on curved bananas.[6] It has been frequently repeated by Europhiles and Eurosceptics alike, the former tending to regard it as an apocryphal or misleading Euromyth[6] and the latter regarding it as an example of needless European bureaucracy.[7]

Particularly "straight" fruit came in to th ecountry weekly, and was called "dollar fruit" as it generally was the brand "dole" from south american countries and was "force grown" and huuuuge.

in this case we had to encase them in boxes..similar to camera boxes filled with curved stiff foam, that was formed into a curve, and put them in a ripending room, 100 boxes per room, kept at 14 degrees, and humid, till they ripened to the correct colour and the "foam" cases formed the curve better.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Particularly "straight" fruit came in to th ecountry weekly, and was called "dollar fruit" as it generally was the brand "dole" from south american countries and was "force grown" and huuuuge.

in this case we had to encase them in boxes..similar to camera boxes filled with curved stiff foam, that was formed into a curve, and put them in a ripending room, 100 boxes per room, kept at 14 degrees, and humid, till they ripened to the correct colour and the "foam" cases formed the curve better.
Sounds like marketing issue to me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I should have put some emojis on this part, is it was a complete lie that I have told many times in many pubs when people asked what I did, :LOL:
of course we used to "ripen" them and add permithin to kill the crawlies, but curve them...noooooo

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Scare mongering at it's best..
No it's not. The video shows the reality and there are plenty of similar videos on youtube about lithium fires. My ebikes are from a reputable retail company but the batteries still mandate that the batteries be charged outside and that is what I do, running an extension cable from the inverter to about 2m away from the van, so that allows for a 1 metre fireball.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It was on the news this morning . Truly devastating :eek:

Agree, but the three points I picked up on were that there was a miss-match between the battery and charge, he left it unattended on charge overnight, and left it charging in the way of their only real route of escape from upstairs from the fire, all big no, no's

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Agree, but the three points I picked up on were that there was a miss-match between the battery and charge, he left it unattended on charge overnight, and left it charging in the way of their only real route of escape from upstairs from the fire, all big no, no's
The points I pick up on are that two children aged four and eight and their mother aged 31 died in the context of a family living in council accommodation doing what they can to make ends meet.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Totally understand but loosing one’s wife and kids is devastating and whilst the points you make maybe valid the cost of human life and the suffering this guy must be going through. He is trying to get the law changed so o my matched batteries are legal the guy was/is a low wage worker and could not afford the manufactures price to replace the battery that was stollen. So the thief has some part to play in this miserable story.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
The article implies it was a dodgy, non standard battery. eBikes aren't the problem. Bad batteries are.
Interesting argument - bit like saying guns aren't the problem, it's the bullets. Oh no, perhaps it's the people that make the guns and bullets. Or there again, perhaps its the person pointing the gun or the person stopping the bullet . . . . And so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
The article implies it was a dodgy, non standard battery. eBikes aren't the problem. Bad batteries are.
Unfortunately the wider world see the problem as just "EBikes". A friend who runs a holiday let in Cornwall tells me that for insurance purposes, EBIkes of any description are now not allowed into the holiday let building, even just to be parked. The insurance company are acting in response to the recent increase in "Ebikes" fires. It's the same when it comes to speeding Ebikes causing nuisance issues - the press seems to miss out the "illegally modified" bit, consequently all EBikes are now perceived by the layman to be a problem for speeding and catching fire. It's never really reported as a problem when some fit person chasing a Strava segment or in a race with their mates on a pedal powered bike go way faster than an Ebike that has topped out at 25kph.
We've got 3 proper EBikes (German battery systems and running "as built" in terms of speed restrictions) and all three are not a problem at all.....

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
When you buy an e-bike there is a lot of safety information regarding fires which means even reputable systems have a chance of critical failure, don’t risk it. This poor chap was just trying to work and feed his family the dodgy resellers are in part to blame.

Anything that stores energy is a risk.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Any battery is susceptible, the chap purchased the battery in good faith from an online retailer so he could carry on working and feed his family, he did not know it was a bad battery, it fitted his e-bike someone somewhere produced this for sale to match his bike. What he campaigning for is independent 3rd party testing, should this happen these batteries ‘May’ be safer but batteries are never totally safe. One reason I have linked heat and smoke alarms around the home due to devices that whilst they shouldn’t may just go up in smoke.

Now whilst I can afford linked smoke and fire alarm and manufacture replacement batteries many folk can’t. Should we blame and shame them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back