‘Unexploded bombs’: call for action after 11 deaths in UK due to e-bike fires (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Since last August we can look for CE markings again on batteries and chargers as a sign off safety conformance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Regarding battery fires it is recommended by the fire services never leave anything on charge overnight.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think they're also recommending you turn the wireless off overnight to avoid overheating the tubes.

Yup your right👍

Unplug appliances when you’re not using them or when you go to bed.

We also have fire and heat detectors through the home that are linked so if one goes off they all go off and we have a simple evacuation plan just in case.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sadly the cheap kits and AliExpress are synonymous with the budget end of the market attractive to youngsters. I have seen some shockingly poor home conversions of old bikes for sale on facebook locally. It is only a question of time before enough people die to force proper regulations. Once one of the cheap batteries starts to burn, it is not being put out with a fire extinguisher or heaven forbid a bucket of water.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's not only the risk of fire from whatever source....its where the initial combustion takes place....many of the scooter/bike fires happen where the bikes have been left on charge....a hallway for example, which may be the only entry/exit from an apartment or other buildings..therefore trapping the occupants..
This could also be an issue in our motorhomes, with only one means of escape...worth considering..

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Sadly the cheap kits and AliExpress are synonymous with the budget end of the market attractive to youngsters. I have seen some shockingly poor home conversions of old bikes for sale on facebook locally. It is only a question of time before enough people die to force proper regulations. Once one of the cheap batteries starts to burn, it is not being put out with a fire extinguisher or heaven forbid a bucket of water.
The Regs already exist and can now be enforced again. The next problem is finding enough people to enforce them..

Jun 2, 2010
Winchester, Hants
Funster No
MH
Gulf Stream BT Cruiser RV
Exp
Since 2009
Interestingly I had a puncture on my e-bike whilst in Germany. I took the bike in the car to the cycle shop ,which was 10 miles away, amd wheeled it through the shop door. I was abruptly told “No, No, out!” It turned out it was because the battery was still attached to the bike. The shop owner explained he was not insured to take in any bikes with the batteries still attached.

Sod’s Law- the key to remove the battery was back at the Campsite so had to drive back to get it- then back to the shop with “We shut at noon for lunch” ringing in my ears. Made it back, removed battery, leaving it outside on the doorstep and puncture fixed in 5 mins flat.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Interestingly I had a puncture on my e-bike whilst in Germany. I took the bike in the car to the cycle shop ,which was 10 miles away, amd wheeled it through the shop door. I was abruptly told “No, No, out!” It turned out it was because the battery was still attached to the bike. The shop owner explained he was not insured to take in any bikes with the batteries still attached.

Sod’s Law- the key to remove the battery was back at the Campsite so had to drive back to get it- then back to the shop with “We shut at noon for lunch” ringing in my ears. Made it back, removed battery, leaving it outside on the doorstep and puncture fixed in 5 mins flat.

Why didn't they take the wheel off outside 🤔🤔

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
From the other part of my life, I know about flame and fire supressing bags in which you can charge lithium cells. Not cheap but good insurance if you are worried about charging an ebike battery in your motorhome

I always wondered how effective these actually are. Because it looks like a cooler bag. Lots of people rate it without actually being able to test it.

Those are for remote controlled gizmos. You'd need it to be quite a bit bigger and considerably more robust to cope with a bike battery. I'd think something like a metal ammo can would be more appropriate.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I always wondered how effective these actually are. Because it looks like a cooler bag. Lots of people rate it without actually being able to test it.

Those are for remote controlled gizmos. You'd need it to be quite a bit bigger and considerably more robust to cope with a bike battery. I'd think something like a metal ammo can would be more appropriate.
The largest of the remote control pack bags can hold about 10 packs. A similar size to some bike packs but check internal sizes. I agree some of the cheapest look more like cool bags but have witnessed them being tested and they contained the flames for sufficient time to be classed successful

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A question, fast e-bikes appear to be commonplace in the home delivery fraternity. Are any of them insured, as far as I am aware E-bykes dont require insurance or number plates.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
A question, fast e-bikes appear to be commonplace in the home delivery fraternity. Are any of them insured, as far as I am aware E-bykes dont require insurance or number plates.
legal fast ebikes (over 25 kph) do require insurance, number plates, helmets etc. The home delivery bikes that are being confiscated are not legal, they are normal ebikes that have been illegally modified to overcome the speed restriction.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Since last August we can look for CE markings again on batteries and chargers as a sign off safety conformance.
Since 1st Jan 2021.

It never went away.

It is just the transition that has kept being pushed back, and CE is now indefinitely recognised for most products.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Most folks are looking at cheap lithium batteries for their motorhomes,
When they see the price do they look for any form of certification? Or is safety second to price
Different technology.

LiFePO4 for leisure batteries is inherently safer.

Not perfect, but safer.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Since 1st Jan 2021.

It never went away.

It is just the transition that has kept being pushed back, and CE is now indefinitely recognised for most products.
Yeah - the government binned off the UKCA marking for many things last August. They must have realised what a mammoth task it was and ultimately nobody really wanted it despite giving back control of how bendy our bananas are 😉

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
back control of how bendy our bananas are
Serioulsy I used to work as QA in bananas, and yes we measure the bend internal length, bend external length, the colour, the markings, temps and umpteen other things for brussels. :eek:

Last edited:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Yeah - the government binned off the UKCA marking for many things last August. They must have realised what a mammoth task it was and ultimately nobody really wanted it despite giving back control of how bendy our bananas are 😉

Well well, well, didnt know this, thought it was still a thing

It's (UKCA) still in place,if a manufacturer so chooses.

If you listen to the civil servants, they will tell you that they want a robust Conformity Assessment regime.

While destroying the economic case for UKCA, and pulling the rug out from under all of the UK approved bodies, 'cos that's what business asked for.

Anyway, as Ben Elton would say, oooh, a little bit of politics, controversial!! I'd better say no more!

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
A tesla going up in flames is really spectacular, ive seen 3 electric cars go boom 2 were teslas one was MG very difficult to put out too, In Norway the emergency service have a special armoured truck with a HIAB to lift the burning car into a tank of water and a massive 60mm armoured door seals it and it is taken away to a special dump , sometimes the batteries burn for days .

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That was such a pain and unbelievable cost to business. If a business wanted to sell to the EU and U.K. markets both marking had to be on the goods just so pointless

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That was such a pain and unbelievable cost to business. If a business wanted to sell to the EU and U.K. markets both marking had to be on the goods just so pointless
Somehow the details if Divergence got lost in the 'debate'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back