Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Our bed on our Hymer is really creaky, it works great but makes loads of noise going up and down and also if we go over big bumps, which in England is every two minutes. Do we need new struts or can we do something to make them a bit less noisy. Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I don't know what sort of fixings you have, mine has a seat belt type strap to release it but I found the strap at the front, above the windscreen, had come away so the bed was moving more than it should when on the move with an annoying creak. refixed the strap and cured it.
other than that, a bit of spray grease on any moving parts might help.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Try silicone lubricant on the moving parts and make sure the fastening strap is as tight as you can get it before driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I hear other noises going up and down on the bed, but creaks and groans are part of getting older

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
You are right there, just getting onto the bed creates a lot of noise but it would be nice for it not to creak just turning over in the night. No strap at the front , nor has there been one can’t find any fixings

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I had a bed strap on my 2002 Hymer B544.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
There is the seatbelt at the front but nothing windscreen side ,sorry for confusing you.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our bed on our Hymer is really creaky, it works great but makes loads of noise going up and down and also if we go over big bumps, which in England is every two minutes. Do we need new struts or can we do something to make them a bit less noisy. Thanks in advance.
Before getting a can of silicon spray to all the cantilever joints, please check the nylock retaining nuts, where the bed is mounted to the metal fixing points. It is not unusual for them to work their way loose, which is what I and others have experienced, including our gaffer @Jim, when the bed suddenly dropped at one side, whilst driving. :eek: We got away with that one. ;)

I have since renewed our nylock nuts and torqued to 40lbs, which I check annually when spraying.

See these tips.

HTH,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock will check that.
You may have to remove that front cream curtain at both sides, to access the nuts and bolts. Best done when warm, as there are plastic guides at the top, and bottom of the curtain. I took the whole thing off, and Rita washed it there and then.

Cheers,

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Yes we have taken the curtain off as well for a wash, not sure it had ever been off, looks much nicer now.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Check for wear on the side pivot point, strap end, with the bed down just try one side to see if there is any
movement, tere should be none.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thanks, not sure I understand, I need help for the help, I put the bed down which bit do I try and move, sorry to be a pain.there is a pole at the front seat belt side, not windscreen side. The bed moves on the pole it slides a bit if you rattle it, but that’s not the noise.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Thanks, not sure I understand, I need help for the help, I put the bed down which bit do I try and move, sorry to be a pain.there is a pole at the front seat belt side, not windscreen side. The bed moves on the pole it slides a bit if you rattle it, but that’s not the noise.
if it moves it rattles. Or the front bolt windscreen side movement , again should be none.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
No noise from there, just a creaking noise as it goes up and down, seems very secure everywhere.no play in anything.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
No noise from there, just a creaking noise as it goes up and down, seems very secure everywhere.no play in anything.
If you are happy that you have checked the fixings/mountings, then simple dry joints may be your problem, whereupon simple liquid maintenance could be the cure. It's worth noting not to use anything other than a fine silicon spray though, as any excess may stain the clean curtain, or the seats below. :(

Cheers,

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I've had a number of A class Hymers , all had noisy beds when either lowered or raised.
Only way I found to stop the noise whilst driving was to fit 2 extra straps , one either end to assist the central strap.
Tried greasing the hinges , silicon spray etc, nothing worked.
However all my vans were at least 10 years old , one 20 years.
Maybe the newer ones are quieter , just make sure that the bed is secure and all bolts tight.
There is a massive amount of weight to try and hold still whilst driving whilst using only the one central strap which still allows it to move at each end and also side to side.
Not a lot of movement but enough to squeak.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Just a thought, does your van have the plastic side panels underside of bed holding lighting unit. If this is moving, plastic may cause the noise.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Just a thought, does your van have the plastic side panels underside of bed holding lighting unit. If this is moving, plastic may cause the noise.
This reminded me that the plastic cab roof became slightly detached from the bed on our van. It made a bit of a noise. It just needed re sticking to the wood slats

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This reminded me that the plastic cab roof became slightly detached from the bed on our van. It made a bit of a noise. It just needed re sticking to the wood slats

I had to re stick mine, I used Sikaflex type adhesive and small length of aluminium angle.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
On mine the bed is more to one side ie the gap at each side is different, not sure if this is good or bad. The brass bushes disintigrated on mine and the nylock nut/bolt came apart so the bed dropped at the drivers side. The brass bushes are not cheap.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
On mine the bed is more to one side ie the gap at each side is different, not sure if this is good or bad. The brass bushes disintigrated on mine and the nylock nut/bolt came apart so the bed dropped at the drivers side. The brass bushes are not cheap.
cant you make replacement bushes from some nylon rods?

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Yes we do have the plastic sides but it is very secure, so not that.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I personally couldn't, but yes, I did consider getting some PTFE turned.

I looked at the mechanism on both sides of the bed and replaced all 4 brass bushes and bolts, also re torqued the bolts and fixings, and still I couldn't see why the bed is not central to the van, being about 20mm more to one side than the other. The bed drops and raises fine and when down it sits where it should on the side stops/rests behind the front seats.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back