LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The brain hat is on it’s way to it’s new home.

My friend Pete starts 6 weeks of radiotherapy on his brain tumour today so hopefully it will make him smile.

I’ve put a ukulele charm where he has a gap. Yes, he plays uke :)

6061FE96-1FA3-4E15-9353-0BDA23A3138D.jpeg

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

My friend Pete starts 6 weeks of radiotherapy on his brain tumour today so hopefully it will make him smile.

View attachment 271371

Fabulous @Janine I am sure it will make him smile and keep him warm and toasty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
@snailtrailer please don’t be disheartened. It usually takes a few goes before people have their octos given to preemies. Angel octos are just as important.
What yarn and hook combo are you using? If you measure the chain rather than counting how many you’ve done you’ll be more accurate.
For a mini octo (3.5-5cm long body) I chain to13cm, larger one (5-8cm long body) I chain to 19cm.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

View attachment 271371
What a fantastic gift, I am sure he will be thrilled with it.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
@Offagain (I do like your forum name:xgrin:) I'm on the octopus for a preemie site every day and gradually learning the tricks and foibles of Facebook. I have even bought yarn through the Christmas offer. I used Sirdar cotton double knit with a 2.5mm hook for the two I sent off. The co-ordinator did say it was very neat (that's some consolation) and suggested the same, measuring the fully stretched chain before working the double crochet. I am now using a 2mm hook. Do you have the little heart pattern?

@Anthea M Is that your doll's house? It's a lovely Christmassy scene. I've always wanted a grown up doll's house so I could make tiny things for it. I'm off to try knitting with two pins:xrofl: I have some very fine yarn from the days I was making little socks for porcelain dolls.

Having a short break from the Big C teaching until 7th January. However, it seems I am almost fully booked for most of my courses until end of March. Making a nice little sum for the charity with £5 donations from eight people each week.:eek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bought some discontinued fancy yarn from The Scrap Store knowing I would not be able to get any more but also not sure what to do with it. So after a few abortive starts I am knitting a shrug. I'll just keep going until I run out of yarn or it is big enough. On size 8mm needles it grows very quickly but I have found I knit slowly on big needles.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
@snailtrailer my forum name came about because family and friends often ask me if that’s what I am, as in “are you off AGAIN?”
I don’t have the heart pattern but I think some people use one from you tube. I can’t access the files on my iPad but I’ll take a look on my phone later and send it to you if I can find it.
I use 2mm with most dk yarn, but some of the thinner dk need 1.75mm. I don’t tend to use those, or 4ply, as they also need the pattern adapting to get the sizing right. And they take longer to make!
I must confess I'm currently on an octo break as my left index finger split (again) and I can’t get in with any of the finger protectors others use. So I’m knitting a cardigan for one of the grandkids. Plus I’ve got a couple of cross stitch projects I need to finish and a quilt cut out that I should really start sewing together..... so much to do, so little time!

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Sorry I've not been on this thread for a while.
I saw this on the RSPB site and thought it may be of interest.

Thanks for that I have just ordered one:xsmile: Really need to brush up my crochet skills, will start trying to make a flower garland ready for when I find my PVC/MH. Bought a pack of 4 small balls, 4 different colours of yarn at the RSPCA charity shop which would make a great start.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've made this for my Mum as part of her Christmas box, knitted rather than crochet, although I did think about making the flower in crochet. I didn't follow the instructions for the flower as I cast on "a lot" of stitches and then decreased as it was much easier than starting in the middle and increasing when using two needles :) I used super chunky yarn and size 9mm needles so it grew really fast, I think it was all done in three evenings.

https://coolcreativity.com/knit-2/self-fastening-flower-scarf-free-knitting-pattern/

Self-Fastening-Flower-Scarf-Free-Knitting-Pattern-m.jpg

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
@snailtrailer
I must confess I'm currently on an octo break as my left index finger split (again) and I can’t get in with any of the finger protectors others use.

Apologies if this has been suggested before as I have no idea what others use.

Have you tried one of those 100% white cotton gloves that you can buy for about £1, think they may be sold for people with eczema, they are very smooth and slippery. Can remember my mother using them in the late 50's when she was going out to put on very sheer stockings.

I use a left hand one quite often for craft based activities due to a habit of frequently cutting my left index finger or chopping off a tiny bit of thumb when chopping veg:rolleyes:, probably should wear glasses. Find a plaster gets caught up, as does a healing cut. The glove barely slows me down at all and yarn slips off or over it very well.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Christmas hanging stars made for my swimming buddies, managed to find a bit of mermaid fabric to sew with and used some of my button stash as well.

55CA25CF-BB77-4D52-B688-A135D5C08278.jpeg

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
And I have finished the quilt for my parents Christmas present at last. What I love about it is that all fabric is from the Quirky Quilter a lovely lady who rescues excellent quality shirting from a factory & sells it on for donations that she gives to a children's hospice.
IMG_20181215_103649.jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
And I have finished the quilt for my parents Christmas present at last. What I love about it is that all fabric is from the Quirky Quilter a lovely lady who rescues excellent quality shirting from a factory & sells it on for donations that she gives to a children's hospice.
View attachment 272783
I am going to take a look at the quirky quilter :xThumb:

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Apologies if this has been suggested before as I have no idea what others use.

Have you tried one of those 100% white cotton gloves that you can buy for about £1, think they may be sold for people with eczema, they are very smooth and slippery. Can remember my mother using them in the late 50's when she was going out to put on very sheer stockings.

I use a left hand one quite often for craft based activities due to a habit of frequently cutting my left index finger or chopping off a tiny bit of thumb when chopping veg:rolleyes:, probably should wear glasses. Find a plaster gets caught up, as does a healing cut. The glove barely slows me down at all and yarn slips off or over it very well.
No I haven't tried them, but I might, thank you. They'd have to be laundered very regularly as we have to keep very clean whilst making the octopuses as they're going to tiny, vulnerable babies.

@Puddleduck I love that scarf! Lucky mum.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck I love that scarf! Lucky mum.

I put it in a fancy box with a gorgeous ribbon trim (both from a charity shop) so it looks like it was very expensive. My parents don't rate hand made things :(

I was also thinking the scarf pattern / idea would make a nice finish for the neck of a jumper. especially one that needed a button to fasten it.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
As up to now any crochet pattern I have ever seen looks like it is written in a foreign language thought I had better get to grips with it a bit before my flower book arrives as they look a bit beyond me ATM.

So did a search for simple flowers on youtube and found web pages to match so I have the video (which I find easier) and the written pattern, so I can read what I have done. Some have turned out a bit wonky (think my tension needs practice) never made any flowers before so quite pleased.

CFlowers2.jpg

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
They are beautiful well done .Ifind it easy to use you tube tutorials as well
It’s easy to stop and go back if you are unsure.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
:xsmile:Happy Christmas to all the ladies in crochet corner ...especially Pam who started the group @snailtrailer and Anthea @Anthea M who was the instigator of us learning to crochet even though she doesn’t crochet she comes in the corner to give support.
There have been pictures of some beautiful pieces of work..well done girls...... and keep it going in 2019:xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back