Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
497FFFE5-96A7-4E11-928A-989E0DB096F4.jpeg
I was the lucky recipient of this beautiful quilt which my bff gave me for my birthday. All hand stitched and taken some time to complete! Such works of art are something to be treasured for years to come. And this was the first quilt she has made.

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:xsmile:Happy Christmas to all the ladies in crochet corner ...especially Pam who started the group @snailtrailer and Anthea @Anthea M who was the instigator of us learning to crochet even though she doesn’t crochet she comes in the corner to give support.
There have been pictures of some beautiful pieces of work..well done girls...... and keep it going in 2019:xsmile:
Anne thank you!! I have all the gear but no idea!!!
The amazing peeps are the ones who had never crochet before and now making Christmas Decs and penguins !! Especially Angela @Mrs Badknee !!
It’s been a lovely kind thread to dip in and out off just like a group in a coffee shop that meet up chat and help each other.
Merry Christmas to you all and a very Happy Healthy 2019 ( I’ve made a resolution already ... I will be able to crochet in 2019!!:xwink:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Beautiful quilts @Cal54 and @The Happy Hooker

The one I am making for my nephew is now fully quilted and needs to be "squared off" before I attach the binding. I am at the stage where I'll be glad to be rid of it :)
Ditto they are all beautiful and the hours of love and toil gone into them is wonderful!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
As up to now any crochet pattern I have ever seen looks like it is written in a foreign language thought I had better get to grips with it a bit before my flower book arrives as they look a bit beyond me ATM.

So did a search for simple flowers on youtube and found web pages to match so I have the video (which I find easier) and the written pattern, so I can read what I have done. Some have turned out a bit wonky (think my tension needs practice) never made any flowers before so quite pleased.

View attachment 273107
They look a lot better than my initial attempts, lovely.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So the main thing I dislike about our van is the net curtains, to me they look dingy and dirty as they are cream and brown to match the upholstery. The upholstery is fine but light coming through the nets just makes me cringe. I have never liked net curtains!

When we were away this summer I noticed that some of the vans parked with us had unique filet crochet blinds/curtains so now I am thinking that might be a project for the coming year (as if I haven't enough to do). They would have to be very light weight (maybe sewing cotton and a very fine hook) or perhaps I could do lace knitting using 1 ply Shetland wool. I've also seen crochet privacy screens on narrow boats - especially on the circular windows and admired those.

I used to work with a Portuguese lady who did a lot of filet crochet (she called it Portuguese Work). I will now be on the look out for vintage patterns for filet crochet :) At home we have glass panels either side of the front door so they may also get the craft treatment when I have time.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
So the main thing I dislike about our van is the net curtains, to me they look dingy and dirty as they are cream and brown to match the upholstery. The upholstery is fine but light coming through the nets just makes me cringe. I have never liked net curtains!

When we were away this summer I noticed that some of the vans parked with us had unique filet crochet blinds/curtains so now I am thinking that might be a project for the coming year (as if I haven't enough to do). They would have to be very light weight (maybe sewing cotton and a very fine hook) or perhaps I could do lace knitting using 1 ply Shetland wool. I've also seen crochet privacy screens on narrow boats - especially on the circular windows and admired those.

I used to work with a Portuguese lady who did a lot of filet crochet (she called it Portuguese Work). I will now be on the look out for vintage patterns for filet crochet :) At home we have glass panels either side of the front door so they may also get the craft treatment when I have time.

I,too,love the look of filet crochet curtains, especially on narrow boats.

I looked into making them to order and selling them on Etsy but they take such a long time to make, I'm not sure it would be viable.

I have a lovely vintage Phildar book of patterns - you might find one on Ebay or ABE books.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's

If you are going to make and put up something like the beautiful example @movan has found I think it may defeat the object - every time you stop you are going to have people with their noses up against your windows admiring your curtains.

I found a couple of patterns on ebay:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Another thing is to make bags for them as children are moved from place to place and often their worldly goods are stuffed into black bin bags - like they are being told the things they hold most dear (as in ALL they possess) is only fit to go into a bin bag.

:crying:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck there are some lovely filet patterns on Ravelry.
It will be a while before I am ready to make a start :) I have a lot of sale yarn to use up first plus another quilt to make.

I have uploaded some photos of my nephew's wedding quilt to the media section. Hope this link works!

Broken Link Removed

It is huge, at least 10 ft square if not slightly larger.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
It will be a while before I am ready to make a start :) I have a lot of sale yarn to use up first plus another quilt to make.
I’m the same! I looked and thought it would be a nice project but I am halfway through one quilt, then I have a cot quilt to make and I also need to make a quilt for my new van. I’m looking forward to retirement so that I can spend my time sewing and crocheting!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750

You’ve inspired me to try something new!
There are some lovely patterns on Pinterest.

Edit: and this is a link to how to work it and read the charts
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/learn-the-basics-of-filet-crochet-4062606

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I’m looking forward to retirement so that I can spend my time sewing and crocheting!

I have less time now than I ever had when working full time! I have to keep a diary.

@Puddleduck that quilt is gorgeous. Is it hand embroidered.?
How lucky they are to receive such a gift.

It is all free motion quilted - hand guided machine work with the feed dogs disengaged so the quilter (me) is in total charge of the direction the stitches go and how big they are. The only thing that is mechanised is the actual forming of the stitches as they "lock" top and bottom. Even the tension is more to do with the quilter's foot and hand co-ordination (on the machine speed pedal and the hands moving the fabric under the needle) than the tension set by the bobbin spring and the tension discs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Another thing is to make bags for them as children are moved from place to place and often their worldly goods are stuffed into black bin bags - like they are being told the things they hold most dear (as in ALL they possess) is only fit to go into a bin bag.

Once my daughter has collected the possessions and other stuff we have been storing for her now she has moved into her new house I am moving my studio from the attic. At that point I will be going through my fabrics and making some "I care" bags for these young people. I have a pattern for a very large tote type bag (sorry but the pattern is copyright so I can't share it) and will probably make a few bags to that pattern.

Another useful bag pattern is to use a plastic carrier bag as a pattern - or there are loads of bag patterns here

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/free-utility-type-bag-patterns-to-sew-2977746

but you may need to resize them larger. The local social services children's department will pass them on to anyone who needs them which is probably better than approaching a children's home directly unless you have a staff contact there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck I like the idea of making those bags but I have unfinished things at home I should complete first and also I told a friend I’d look at doing some sewing for the pyjama fairies if I had any spare time
https://pyjamafairies.org/

What is spare time and how do I get some please?

Because of issues with my parents I am going to have to say "no" to just about everything for the foreseeable future.

The wry smile I get now and again is because just 10 years ago my Dad said his grandparents, parents and in-laws were nothing but a nuisance and became very demanding when they got old ...... He is now totally dependent on my Mum (who is older than he is) and is reverting to his childhood in actions. Mum is not as well as she would have us believe but refuses to ask for help. Their GP has asked Social Services to do an assessment (as has my sister and myself) but the request has to come from my Mum who (as the officialese says) "has capacity" but won't ask for any help unless we get to the point of total and complete crisis.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck I like the idea of making those bags but I have unfinished things at home I should complete first and also I told a friend I’d look at doing some sewing for the pyjama fairies if I had any spare time
https://pyjamafairies.org/

I think we all do what we can when we can and no one should feel guilty if they are unable to help one or more "good causes". If we all gave (money, time, skills) to every good cause out there we would soon be destitute, worn out and resentful. I now pick one major "good cause" a year and concentrate on that. This year and last it was the Scottish Air Ambulance plus I will make things as and when I am able for other causes that touch my heartstrings.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
What is spare time and how do I get some please?

Because of issues with my parents I am going to have to say "no" to just about everything for the foreseeable future.

The wry smile I get now and again is because just 10 years ago my Dad said his grandparents, parents and in-laws were nothing but a nuisance and became very demanding when they got old ...... He is now totally dependent on my Mum (who is older than he is) and is reverting to his childhood in actions. Mum is not as well as she would have us believe but refuses to ask for help. Their GP has asked Social Services to do an assessment (as has my sister and myself) but the request has to come from my Mum who (as the officialese says) "has capacity" but won't ask for any help unless we get to the point of total and complete crisis.
Sadly this is so often the case. It causes families a lot of angst despite the older person “not wanting to cause trouble or be a burden”.
Does someone have power of attorney in case mum suddenly becomes incapacitated too? Sounds quite harsh to think about it whilst she’s still capable but it does save a lot of work and time if it’s done pre-emptively.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sadly this is so often the case. It causes families a lot of angst despite the older person “not wanting to cause trouble or be a burden”.
Does someone have power of attorney in case mum suddenly becomes incapacitated too? Sounds quite harsh to think about it whilst she’s still capable but it does save a lot of work and time if it’s done pre-emptively.

We have suggested the PoA or whatever it is now called in England. Martin and I have done ours along with Living Wills as I think they are more important than an actual will.

Mum and Dad refuse point blank. When my Grandma was alive she had one done at very short notice, the old type that is no longer valid, and Mum insists that she will be able to do the same, that registration is not required (after all it was just a piece of paper to take to the bank for Grandma!) even though my sister, myself, their GP and a few trusted friends have tried to persuade her. She just switches off when it is mentioned now. I have also mentioned that there will be two parallel PoAs to do - financial and care and she can have different people named on each. I really think my Dad should do them and may have "another go" if / when the opportunity arises. Perhaps even print off and leave the forms with her.

She has read horror stories about the Court of Protection getting involved but doesn't tie the two things together I'm afraid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back