Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
View attachment 234175
These are brilliant over winter store in the kitchen cupboard and bathroom. Not too expensive and I am obsessed with any damp but these do a great job.
I’ve had these in our Moho for about 6 weeks and.....Nothing, not a drop!!
Is that normal??

And yes I took off the protective layer!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a speed converter from MPH to Kilometres within eyesight until it come natural whilst driving in Europe so as not exceed the speed limits lol

Apart from the fact that many vehicles have a dial with both Mph and Kph and one can just read across, what is so difficult about dividing by 5 and multiplying by 8(or vice-versa) in one's head?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Don't reverse without somebody guiding you back...
Be careful who you choose!
We went out for family lunch to show everyone our new motorhome. John was driving so didn't drink anything but brother-in-law did. He was guiding John backwards in to the space outside his house and was so busy looking up at the tree above to make sure John didn't hit any low lying branches that he forgot his own car was parked there too.
A huge clunk and our new van had a cracked rear bumper (£500 bill)
It was a valuable lesson and John said he knows that he should have checked himself too.
We don't trust anyone much now - and that includes each other!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Be careful who you choose!
We went out for family lunch to show everyone our new motorhome. John was driving so didn't drink anything but brother-in-law did. He was guiding John backwards in to the space outside his house and was so busy looking up at the tree above to make sure John didn't hit any low lying branches that he forgot his own car was parked there too.
A huge clunk and our new van had a cracked rear bumper (£500 bill)
It was a valuable lesson and John said he knows that he should have checked himself too.
We don't trust anyone much now - and that includes each other!

So who paid the £500?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We did. At the time we didn't know how much it would cost and we were actually on the way to the ferry for our first trip abroad. We just taped it up and went away for 4 months.
Brother in law was devastated and the story has gone in to the family stories now so he still gets a lot of teasing about it.

Eyegeedee

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
CoachBuilt
Exp
I’m a one year old
Make yourselves a “pre-flight” list and keep it in the vehicle. Then you can check off all of the actions eg secure lockers, check windows, drop aerial etc before each trip. I keep mine on my phone so it’s easy to add/remove an action.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That having bought a 3 berth to accommodate us and #2 child, #1 child would split up with her boyfriend and come home .... :rolleyes:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
That having bought a 3 berth to accommodate us and #2 child, #1 child would split up with her boyfriend and come home .... :rolleyes:
Better get a 6 berth. #1 and #2 will soon recover and get over their single status and expect to come with you. Also buy 2 small pup tents.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Along with the ottoman full of tools, include a box of match sticks and a small tube of Gorilla brown glue to repair the screw holes for cupboard door hinges which inevitably come loose.

From very bitter experience if its a new Elddis, I'd take one of those large boxes of household matches and a large bottle of Gorilla glue. :mask:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Along with the ottoman full of tools, include a box of match sticks and a small tube of Gorilla brown glue to repair the screw holes for cupboard door hinges which inevitably come loose.

From very bitter experience if its a new Elddis, I'd take one of those large boxes of household matches and a large bottle of Gorilla glue. :mask:
Dunno how many new Elddis motorhomes you’ve had but from real life experience mine is bang on up to now (y)(y)
(Siting of the Alde boiler aside).

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Dunno how many new Elddis motorhomes you’ve had but from real life experience mine is bang on up to now (y)(y)

Not a motorhome but a brand new Elddis caravan. After the first week of use it had already been back for cupboards to be re-attached to the wall, and for the stargazer skylight surround to be reattached to the ceiling. After that repair, and a further 3 weeks of use, the cupboards were parting with the wall again, 8 cupboard doors had had to be repaired as screws came loose, two pairs of bed hinges needed repairing again because the screws fell out, to say nothing of the brake problems and the seat cushions needing replacement, etc.

Oh and I nearly forgot, the roof starting to collapse, so there was a 2cm dip in the middle on the outside, and on the inside you could push it up with one hand.

The motorhomes are made in the same factory using the same systems and materials, and no doubt the same low standard of workmanship and the same lack of quality control.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Ours is good too, I think bad news travels fast.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Our Elddis neither travelled fast or far before it was rejected as unfit for purpose.

Perhaps if you read back you will realise this was my personal experience of Elddis.
I’ve read about all your Brit caravan woes (including the Elddis) and I can’t say I’m surprised about your scepticism of the Elddis brand, but I’ve never heard of major woes with the motorhome side of Elddis (I’m not saying there aren’t any). I’ve heard a lot of bitching about bailey and seen first hand of the shoddy workmanship of them but I think Elddis aren’t too bad nowadays, not saying they’re the best by a long chalk but they’re ok. That said my next van will probably be European but that’s a few years down the line.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you have a dog, never secure it to the tow bar. It is a guarantee that he wont be able to keep up when you leave thinking he is sitting in the back of the van........:eek:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If you have a dog, never secure it to the tow bar. It is a guarantee that he wont be able to keep up when you leave thinking he is sitting in the back of the van........:eek:
Unless it’s a greyhound in training,then it’s OK.:D

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I wish I'd known that my Mrs. wouldn't drive our Bailey Approach because it's too wide (and too long).
Unlike the Burstner Nexxo that she preferred.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
It will rain just at the point where you have taken everything out of your tent/awning and before you have put it away or taken down the tent

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Make sure tha handbrake is off before attempting to get to the next stage of the levelling ramps :rolleyes:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
How much of a pita it is to cater for a dog and a child as lone adult. I can only meet one of their needs at a time, and I hardly ever get to choose fun stuff for me (cos neither of them want to do it!)

Damian

Free Member
Sep 2, 2018
UK / NZ
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600SPB
Exp
New
Plug the cable into the motorhome first and then into the point provided by the campground.
Fully uncoil it so it doesn't heat up.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just Enjoy the learning curve as you go along. The giggles and fits of laughter later on are there to be enjoyed and become super memories.

Kev and Carolyn

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Once you have your "pre-flight" checklist don't just read it and think "yes, done that" go and look!

Step still down, cooker cover up and main vent open the other weekend when I pulled away, and I'm sure I'd been round and done all those and had said "yes" when other half ran through the list that is attached to passenger side of cab.

On this occasion being told it was my fault was correct - first time for everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back