Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 211617
Get an invisible dog, like thoseshown in the picture. They don’t eat much, don’t make a mess, don’t spill their water and you can leave them in the van with no ventilation. You can take them for long walks without worrying about sniffing lampposts and they still attract conversation from other dog owners. You can also talk to them and sit with them on your lap so your partner has to fetch and carry for you. I’ve found that they are not very good at fetching sticks though

Not very feching to look at either.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Open overhead lockers with care, ensuring nothing is going to fll out and punch a hole through your table or worktop.:doh:

If you deploy corner steadies ... leave the crank handle across the clutch/brake pedals as a reminder to raise them before moving.

Warning triangles ... If you have to put one out for breakdown etc, put reminder on steering wheel .. easy to forget it!

Jan 18, 2018
Old Basing, Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Understand the highway code and the speed limits that are now imposed on you (depending on your MH) Don't rush and be courteous to other road users.
Know the blind spots of your van.
Recognise that not everyone will be pleased to see you on the road.
Get a dash cam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Something useful I learned, mainly because of keeping an eye on payload, was an idea of roughly how much water we used in a typical day.
Then you can decide how much water to travel with, and/or roughly when you’ll need find somewhere to top up.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
....... and reading right through this thread, there’s the watering can issue.

When we first had a motorhome, I never thought of the watering can solution, and came up with my own idea.
I bought a new 5litre petrol can from a discount store. (Very cheap). Then used this as a water tank top up device when required.
Advantages include the sealable lid, and the ability to transport the water in a car or on the back of a bicycle.
Top tip for the ex-fuel can is to make an extra breather hole in the breather tube part of the spout, near where it screws onto the can. Makes pouring it into the tank quicker.
Another top tip: write “Water!” in big black letters several times with a magic marker on the can.
Of course, you get some odd looks apparently carrying 5litres of unleaded across the campsite and tipping it into your tank..... and sometimes more so if they’ve seen you filling it at a tap. But hey ho...

You can also impress the natives by sipping from the spout to taste whether it is unleaded or not.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When I fetch water it's in a 10 litre plastic container, difficult to transfer to MH so transferred first to a watering can, then got a 90 degree bend so cuts out the need for a watering can.
bend.jpg

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
use kitchen roll or bubble wrap to prevent all sorts of rattling - pots, pans, crocks, glass, wine bottles even in wine bottle bags
:)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
25 years ago when we took up this hobby I wish I knew we would end up blowing our savings time and time again with must have models and lay outs. Oh well cant take it with you.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Get a nick knack box and put, duct tape, insulation tape, cable ties, super glue, fuses, bulbs, Stanley knife, small socket set, tyre inflater, wd40, small engine oil, clear collapsable water container and funel, hammer, rope, bungees, tow rope, fire lighters for bbq, bucket and sponge, screw drivers/& cordless , pliers, screws and any other bits that might come in handy on long trips ?

Get good breakdown cover especially if going abroad. Usually with insurance is a good deal .

Smart charger if mh is going to be standing unused for long periods to keep batteries topped up.

Lubricate rubber seals on cassette .

If you want to keep your spot on sites when you go out for day, cut 12" off 4" plastic pipe mark reserved on it and hit in ground to save pitch.

Learn some of the basic lingo you need before going to France etc.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
use kitchen roll or bubble wrap to prevent all sorts of rattling - pots, pans, crocks, glass, wine bottles even in wine bottle bags
:)
we use tea towels multi purpose and no one has ever had enough tea towels

Reactions: Pia
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If the driver wears spectacles he's supposed to always carry a spare pair in some EU countries; also to drive wearing flip-flops.

An adjustable spanner comes in useful sometimes as do a few ordinary ones - Pete was very popular last year with no end of kids whose dads weren't equipped to adjust bike saddle heights etc LOL

We've also found an elderly, forgotten box of wooden matches useful both for ourselves and other holidaymakers, in mohos or caravans, when something that should be attached to parts of the van - eg shelf supports inside lockers - have worn loose and the 'hole' has thereby also become too loose to hold the fixing securely again.

If the gas won't light on the cooker - it's normally because the lid that folds over the burners isn't fully upright - not because the elec connections to the 12v supply have failed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Be aware that the back end swings round when cornering enough to flatten pedestrians on the pavement if you don't allow for it!
And Boxes of oranges on market days in Stratford Upon Avon 37ft RV, boy had that got swing:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Get a nick knack box and put, duct tape, insulation tape, cable ties, super glue, fuses, bulbs, Stanley knife, small socket set, tyre inflater, wd40, small engine oil, clear collapsable water container and funel, hammer, rope, bungees, tow rope, fire lighters for bbq, bucket and sponge, screw drivers/& cordless , pliers, screws and any other bits that might come in handy on long trips ?
That's not a nic-nac box....it's a bleedin' otterman chest

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Don't leave glass breakables in the overhead lockers, unless secured. Pasta sauce can make an awful mess of the upholstery. D'oh!!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
After driving for 565 miles, without stopping, on my way back from snowboarding in Austria, I needed fuel

It was about minus 10 degrees and windy, I learnt that you should always go to the loo before filling up!

It didn't help that the pump was really slow (it felt like the slowest pump ever)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Take.....
Toilet.......
Roll............

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Have a speed converter from MPH to Kilometres within eyesight until it come natural whilst driving in Europe so as not exceed the speed limits lol

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
If in Europe use Google translate to help with translations and also to translate signs and roadsigns - even if it isn't always accurate, it's usually better than nothing.

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Buy wine in boxes, the plastic bags inside make excellent anti vibration/shifting devices and can be inflated to suit the requirement. Conno-sewers please don't get upset

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back