Rear camera/parking sensors or non ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As many cars these days have sensors and some even have cameras for parking I'd like to understand the practical needs on a MH. I have a camera on the camera (rear facing) and TBH it only really gets used when hitching up the caravan as I tend to use the mirrors and sensors. Are cameras worth while or a gimmick ? Also some seem to be for parking and some for rear viewing (dodgy statement I know...) From the threads on here the wireless cameras don't sound up to much due to signal interference but what about wireless sensors, these seem as cheap as chips and I assume don't suffer from signal interference as much ?

Don't mind buying the right piece of equipment if I'm going to use it and it will be a DIY install anyway.

Thanks

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Am I right in thinking you want to put sensors on the back of a MH?

Useful for parking in spaces you would use as a car. A lot of spaces you park your MH may not have any reference point to set the sensor off (i.e. campsite, open carpark etc).

At least with a camera you can see what is behind you.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I all depends on the m/h layout.......ours has no rear window so we have two cameras one of which acts as a rear view mirror & the other points downwards which helps when hitching the toad.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would not be without a camera. It is quite difficult to judge exactly where the back is using the side mirrors, since they normally have a slight convex curve, which distorts distance. It is much easier to manoeuvre in tight areas with a reversing camera. Also, if you ever have to reverse in standing traffic (not common I know - but perhaps to move around an obstruction) it is highly likely that a car will have pulled up so close behind you that you cannot see them in the mirrors. I nearly backed into a Belgian in Brussels in the first year we had the van: came home a had a camera fitted. Ours is set looking downwards so that the bottom edge of the field of view is just behind the rear of the van. It's there for manoeuvring, I don't use it as a rear-view mirror substitute.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have a twin system as well, I use it as a rear view mirror when driving and find it is invaluable, especially when in towns and heavy traffic, I can change cameras to the low angle camera to check on the toad or when reversing with the push of a button. I originally had a wireless system but it was not a very good one so changed it for a wired system last year. My MH is 8 metres and no rear window so IMO it is a "must have"accessory.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This forum will cost me a fortune:roflmto:

So a twin cam, hard wired system seems to be the way to go. The MH we have chosen has no rear windows so It would be useful to have the rear mirror substitute and the parking with low angle cam makes sense. Hadn't thought about the lack of reference points when parking a MH, that makes sense.

Can anyone recommend a make or supplier in the UK that is suitable for DIY install.

Thanks

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My system is a twin camera, it will switch to reverse camera with reverse gear selection though I have disabled this. I switch between the two via the monitor, that way I have the rear view camera until I am close to the obstruction/load then I switch to the downward facing camera for extreme accuracy. Both in colour / night-vision, brilliant kit.
Purchased From: Parkingcameras.com
Purchase Price: £380.00
Self installed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends on personal taste and confidence I think. I would never trust the reversing sensor personally though.

Since I did my C1 training and took the test I don't feel the need for a camera anymore. If I am ever in doubt about what is behind me I will get out and have a quick look. Not happened yet. Got to admit that it was a bit interesting at times in the 9 meter long bus due to its width.

Where I am parked at the moment I have less than 9" each side on the entry and the path to the parking spot is not straight. I do it all on side mirrors. Prior to the training and test I wouldn't have attempted it though.

As I have said before HGV training course is worth it's weight in gold if you are a solo MH'er just for the reversing training. I would recommend anyone moving to a motorhome for the first time takes a day or even half a day with an HGV training company, well worth it.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
My van had both camera and sensors fitted when I bought it. I find them invaluable. The sensors are confusing at times as I haven't yet worked out their range of influence. The camera is brilliant. At first I would ask Mrs B to guide me onto a pitch but using the distance and near cameras in sequence make it pretty easy. I wouldn't be without them.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It depends on personal taste and confidence I think. I would never trust the reversing sensor personally though.

Since I did my C1 training and took the test I don't feel the need for a camera anymore. If I am ever in doubt about what is behind me I will get out and have a quick look. Not happened yet. Got to admit that it was a bit interesting at times in the 9 meter long bus due to its width.

Where I am parked at the moment I have less than 9" each side on the entry and the path to the parking spot is not straight. I do it all on side mirrors. Prior to the training and test I wouldn't have attempted it though.

As I have said before HGV training course is worth it's weight in gold if you are a solo MH'er just for the reversing training. I would recommend anyone moving to a motorhome for the first time takes a day or even half a day with an HGV training company, well worth it.

I have had years driving atrics and rigids and have to agree, I don't feel the need for cameras. That's not to say I don't like them. I think they are a good safety feature but I would imagine not having them encourages the more frequent use of mirrors.
They do seem to be appearing more on HGVs and this is primarily for reversing safety. The other applications are for the likes of refuse disposal operative drivers (bin men) who can see their colleagues working at the rear of the vehicle
I would like them fitted to our MH but at the moment I can't afford them. Just been made redundant. Still having cruise control fitted though.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I try and make sure SWMBO is standing behind me when Im going backwards ( to one side ) And after much trianing she now knows she needs to see me in whatever wing mirror. I have a very small reverse camera on the Autotrail.........but prefer someone to shout at !

A dealer I went to said he has a golden rule about having another person on hand behind a reversing vehicle ...when they move motorhomes around.

As Im about to embark on an A frame...I might install one to let me see my
tow car is still there :Smile:

barry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just spent 3 hours removing the sensors

As many cars these days have sensors and some even have cameras for parking I'd like to understand the practical needs on a MH. I have a camera on the camera (rear facing) and TBH it only really gets used when hitching up the caravan as I tend to use the mirrors and sensors. Are cameras worth while or a gimmick ? Also some seem to be for parking and some for rear viewing (dodgy statement I know...) From the threads on here the wireless cameras don't sound up to much due to signal interference but what about wireless sensors, these seem as cheap as chips and I assume don't suffer from signal interference as much ?

Don't mind buying the right piece of equipment if I'm going to use it and it will be a DIY install anyway.

Thanks

I have just finished 3 hours of swearing.. just removed the sensors I fitted in July 2010. they stopped working.. I have a spare set, so I tested everything by switching out all the parts bit by bit... Connected to the reversing lamp up to a control box to the cab and a bleeper and unit that gives distance.

I fitted because of a low wall on the side at my house.. I do have a back up camera.. the sensors are hit and miss .. perhaps it is a bad make.. got it from Maplins.. I have them on my car, those had to be replaced as they also packed up (after 6 weeks).. second set have been in the car now 8 years plus..

I had to drill through the fibreglass body behind on of the two indented reflectors and I used the middle of one of the reflectors each side.. I have now put new reflectors over the holes so it looks like it did originally.

So for me.. they were a waste of time... The camera, now that is a must for me.. I use it to tow a trailer and it is well worth having.. tend to use it as a rear view mirror and have it on all the time with an override switch (Fitted by VanBitz)

Bob:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have one camera able to add more if wanted . I use it as rearview and for reversing wouldn't go without it e.g. cars , bikes right up your a--e tucked in can't see them in your mirrors also on site kids playing could save a nasty accident :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we also use a whistle

We have whistles in the RV by the door.. When I am parking on the ramps or backing Sue will use one whistle to say stop... two blasts to keep going.. we also use a hand held CB (not a two way.. real CB).. I have a cb in the cab so I can hear her talking.. work just as well as the sensors... plus I can turn SUe down if I want:winky: cannot do that with the whistles.

Bob

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009

So a twin cam, hard wired system seems to be the way to go. The MH we have chosen has no rear windows so It would be useful to have the rear mirror substitute and the parking with low angle cam makes sense. Hadn't thought about the lack of reference points when parking a MH, that makes sense.

Can anyone recommend a make or supplier in the UK that is suitable for DIY install.

Thanks

Have a look at this site. The owner generally has a stand at shows.

http://www.drwelectronics.com/

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I had a Toyota Lucida which had sensors. Didn't stop me reversing (gently) into a VW Golf when parallel parking once. Owner wasnt amused (he came running out of a cafe wearing his lunch down his shirt to remonstrate with me):Sad:

Our Motorhome has rear window which Mrs Colpot opens and tells me when to stop. So, as long as She is mobile enough I wont need a camera :Smile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
The first time I reversed without using the camera (forgot to switch on a main box and didn't bother to get out of the seat; lazy boy) I hit a dead end sign and pole in my blind spot. Luckily got away wirh a scratch and a bit of blue paint. Bought some wireless sensors which work a treat and never reverse without using all aids including the mirrors. It's the thin, low, small little things that catch people out.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
the rear camera/parking sensor thing!

Well you guys what about this one? I have two independent rear view camera's, one is the original fit (swift bolero) for reversing and the other that I just fitted is a narrow view Sony camera to give me a 'rear view mirror' image, the issue I am confronted with is the reversing camera is completely useless because of the bike rack, plus a new PWR gull wing rear tow bar assembly, plus a 'TowBox' tow ball mounted storage box...now, I'm not particularly concerned about the reversing camera but I would like to know what the distance is behind me when say reversing up to a wall etc, etc so parking sensors must be the way..a pair wired into the 'TowBox' and a pair wired into the gull bar is a fairly simply installation, but there's the dilemma what happens when I uncouple the 'TowBox' ( disconnecting the sensors) the circuit will be broken and the gull sensors wouldn't work??????? anyone :helpsos:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have a camera on my RV but very rarely use it.

my car has a 4 sensor system and i wouldnt be without it.

for some reason my mirror view spacial awareness has disappeared and i just cant reverse into a parking space with ease....cant seem to judge the rear of the car, yet i have no problem reversing a 34ft motorhome over 300 mtrs along a single track lane and negotiating two tight 90 deg turns into my parking hardstanding at home using rearview mirrors alone. :Eeek:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I would definitely recommend a reversing camera. I had been thinking of having one fitted but was persuaded when I moved back a little on a country road to give way to a post van and bang! A car had pulled up behind unseen :cry:
Since having it fitted by Dave Newell, I find it scary to look at the screen and realise how much of what I see there is simply not visible at all in the mirrors. I have had a transit van behind me which was completely invisible via mirrors!
The beauty is that the camera which acts as rear view while driving dips down when in reverse to show the position of the rear of the van and anything that I might be reversing toward. Can't recommend it highly enough. :thumb:

Wyn

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would consider a camera on a van essential unless there is a rear view through a window. On one van I did get away with a fresnel lens on the rear window. I have parking sensors on my car and they are useful as it is a big vehicle (7 seat) with the rear window a very long way behind. (Privacy glass doesn't help either)

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
This is the system i have put on my M/H
Link Removed
hope that is of some help
Bill

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
as mentioned drw electronics, at all the shows, twin camera for around £180 if i remembe correctly. i bought the rear view mirror option.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A trick I learnt on the HGV course:

Back your vehicle up to a wall so that the rear end is 18" or so away from the wall using any technique you want.

Then sit in the drivers seat in your normal driving position with your seatbelt on. Look in the mirror at the base of the wall. You will see that it draws an (imaginary) line across some point on the side of your vehicle. Remember that point or put a mark on the van.

From then on when you reverse just line up that mark with the horizontal line of the base of the thing you are reversing up to and you will be within 18" of it.:thumb: This and making sure that you are close to parallel when going into a space backwards makes solo reversing without other aids so simple.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Fitting a camera has saved me so much.:thumb:

Almost 'took out' a free-standing electric/water point in France - saved by the camera ! - just didn't see it:Doh:

Mine doubles up as a rear view mirror - picks up what you can't see in the wing mirrors.

Essential piece of kit !

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a twin view and specified a manual change over, brilliant

Dave

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have DIY fitted 3 wired rear cameras to my 115 ! One IR model as a permanent rear view camera (mirror) which is worth its weight in gold, one very wide angle one pointing downwards to monitor close rear ground obstacles and one to monitor the rear passenger side blind spot (for euro driving). The first two cameras are switchable on a 4" screen the latter is available on a 3" screen when required. I also carry a complete back up system of spare camera & screen. Total cost about £120 off Ebay. I put all of these into the GRP bumper and the vision is fine as I did not want to drill through the main skin of the vehicle and will make good if required on selling. Personally as a newbie I dont think you can have enough rear view vision aids....On the base Peugeot vehicle in the cab there is a nice flip up map holder which makes for a perfect screen mounting point.:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Thanks

My van has Parking sensors fitted and good they are
but we also use the In cab Monitoring System (Wife)
when parking near overhangs or trees.
As a combination It hasn't been beaten yet.

Sensors fitted 1 Hour by Mota Bars (Leamington):thumb:
tel 01926 426382

had a slight problem with first set- went back
complete new set-No charge- not even fitting:thumb:

can't ask for fairer and a good job :thumb: (Price at time £70).

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning

Thanks
i have a rear view camera fitted for ins purpose,having been a pro driver since i was 21 i dont use the camera dont trust them to many blind spots,when i bought the van in had a reverse buzzer fitted and had the dealer disconect, it would waken neighbours home and away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back