Cost of running Alde heating comparison Gas or Electric (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure if this has been done before (now we have smart meters)
a comparison I have had the heating Alde ticking over @10 degrees on electric and it seems to have increased our useage of around £5 per day, now I have switched to Lpg @ 80 a ltr so will keep an eye on gas useage for a week or so.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
a comparison I have had the heating Alde ticking over @10 degrees on electric and it seems to have increased our useage of around £5 per day, now I have switched to Lpg @ 80 a ltr so will keep an eye on gas useage for a week or so.

Very interested to see the outcome of this experiment Steve. 👍🏻

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Obviously there are quite a few factors to take into consideration outside temperature etc but for some idea I will run it for a week.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Interesting to see the cost comparison. However, I’m intrigued why you have the heating on, is it solely to provide some sort of perceived preservation?

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Interesting to see the cost comparison. However, I’m intrigued why you have the heating on, is it solely to provide some sort of perceived preservation?
No it’s because it very cold here and I don’t want any freezing of water 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I run mine at 6C so your cuts in much less than yours will, set at 1Kw

Problem we have on the 3010 you can’t turn off the hot water , so even if not cold we have the cost of keeping the water warm 🤔

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

Problem we have on the 3010 you can’t turn off the hot water , so even if not cold we have the cost of keeping the water warm 🤔
Fortunately I can turn off the hot water 👍

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
As long as you can drain everything down properly I wouldn't have heating on in the van over winter. (other than when we are in it of course)
Personal choice at the end of the day though

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

If you don't want the hot water "hot" you can set the pump to continuous and it will only get tepid, on the Alde there is no way to not warm the water at least a little bit as it surrounds the glycol part of the boiler, OK you could drain it down and then it wont't get hot.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I did a very rough guestimate a while ago and was surprised at how expensive electric was to heat the moho (unless on a site EHU)

Attachments

• fuel.png
    fuel.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Steve Denise

Excuse my ignorance. Are you saying it cost c£5 a day for the electric required just to run the Alde heating, or, that your total electric usage has increased to c£5 for the day.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Steve Denise

Excuse my ignorance. Are you saying it cost c£5 a day for the electric required just to run the Alde heating, or, that your total electric usage has increased to c£5 for the day.
At the moment it would appear that our electric costs have increased around £5 per 24 hrs due to heating the van with electric,
but we are now trying Lpg although the outside temperature keeps fluctuatin.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
At the moment it would appear that our electric costs have increased around £5 per 24 hrs due to heating the van with electric,
but we are now trying Lpg although the outside temperature keeps fluctuatin.
Thanks both. Not for one minute disputing your numbers, but we are using less than £5 electricity a day (24hrs) for the cottage, according to the smart meter.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Steve you are bang on with £5/day we are away at the moment running a 1,5 kw oil heater on low (600 watts) non stop, it dropped to -4 last night and with that we are a constant 11c, the problem is the unit price has gone from 13-36p so last year would have cost £1.7/day

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Blummin heck Steve, £5 a day to heat to 10 deg! I hope Jim and Eddievanbitz don’t see this post, they’ll put the pitch prices up:rofl:
Us Yorkshire folk can’t run to that, hence I’ve drained mine and Scout carthagos down😉👍👍

Im very grateful for you help, as Ive just looked out my window, and it looks more like a igloo than a motorhome ATM

#tightyorkshiregitssticktogeater

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks both. Not for one minute disputing your numbers, but we are using less than £5 electricity a day (24hrs) for the cottage, according to the smart meter.
Our smart metre average is £2.50 a day ish that's not with any electric heating, oven is electric and includes that so £5 a day or more with electric heating is more than possible

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
B-hell we are using less than £5 for gas and electricity both, alas burning a lot of logs in this very very old house of ours.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
At the moment our Bungalow looks to be around £10 a day for gas and electric according to our smart meter
i should add its bloody cold outside🥶

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I should have made it clear. The c£5 per day quoted in #14 is purely for electric services I.e lighting, cooking, and kitchen appliances. There are only the 2 of us. Heating and hot water is by an oil fired boiler ( we don’t have gas out in the sticks). We are currently using c40ltrs heating oil per week. So paying £3 per day EHU when on a site ain’t a bad deal in the winter. ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Steve, I can't comment on electricity use on the MH, but during the pandemic when I had Covid and was self isolating in the MH, I went through a 6Kg cylinder of propane in 2.5 days. The Alde 3000 heating was on 24/7.

Our MH is completely drained down, water filter removed, lines blown through, and taps left open. The only problem I ever had many years ago due to frost, (minus 15 degrees at the time), was a damaged solenoid under the Thetford swivel bowl, which I had to replace, as it was siphoning the fresh water tank contents. It was the only area I forgot to clear the water from. :(

At home, our combined energy charges for a 3 x bedroom semi, during the first seven days of December have been £60.00, including standing charges. This time last year, we were only paying £69.00 a month by direct debit, and still staying showing a credit. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Steve, I can't comment on electricity use on the MH, but during the pandemic when I had Covid and was self isolating in the MH, I went through a 6Kg cylinder of propane in 2.5 days. The Alde 3000 heating was on 24/7.

Our MH is completely drained down, water filter removed, lines blown through, and taps left open. The only problem I ever had many years ago due to frost, (minus 15 degrees at the time), was a damaged solenoid under the Thetford swivel bowl, which I had to replace, as it was siphoning the fresh water tank contents. It was the only area I forgot to clear the water from. :(

At home, our combined energy charges for a 3 x bedroom semi, during the first seven days of December have been £60.00, including standing charges. This time last year, we were only paying £69.00 a month by direct debit, and still staying showing a credit. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Wow I hope that cost doesn’t continue long Jock as it would equate to around £250 a month.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back