Best UK sites within easy walking distance of a City / Town / Large Village? (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Another Scottish site I can recommend is Ullapool. It's a huge private site right on the edge of the town. Brilliant.

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New to it
Visiting York Rowntree in May, does anybody know if the river path to the town centre is open yet? Closed off when we were there at Christmas due to flood defences.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Brecon rugby club. EHU, water, black and grey waste, no toilets or showers. 10 minutes flat walk into town. Lovely quiet place to stay. Last time we were there it was £13.50 per night.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Jubilee Gardens, Woodhall Spa, not cheap £23 for a serviced pitch but a 6 minute walk into town, good pub with proper beer, a curry house which is unbelievably good (make sure you book, it gets very busy even midweek) small independent shops, kinema in the woods, museum, Dambusters memorial, and a small Sainsburys or Co-op, great place, keep going back just for the curry and beer(y)

Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I’m a newbie
CMC site at Brighton less than a mile to centre of town if you can stand their sites.
I stayed there recently, it may be less than a mile but it would be one heck of a walk!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
From the Merrymoor Inn beer garden a couple of days ago just 5 minutes walk from a couple of sites in Mawgan Porth.

1651390695788.png

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
Visiting York Rowntree in May, does anybody know if the river path to the town centre is open yet? Closed off when we were there at Christmas due to flood defences.
Still closed today Tuesday 3rd May and looks like a long job.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Apologies to any late arrivals or other ones that I've missed. I've attached the Spreadsheet of sites as promised. It wasn't easy to decide the distance into towns as many have retail parks and Industrial zones on the outskirts which are not great to visit. As a general rule I just measured the most obvious route to what Google Earth thinks of as the town centre. I'll stick a copy up in Resources as it might be easier to find in the future. Thanks again to all that made suggestions!

Attachments

• Sites.xlsx
    31 KB · Views: 204
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Apologies to any late arrivals or other ones that I've missed. I've attached the Spreadsheet of sites as promised. It wasn't easy to decide the distance into towns as many have retail parks and Industrial zones on the outskirts which are not great to visit. As a general rule I just measured the most obvious route to what Google Earth thinks of as the town centre. I'll stick a copy up in Resources as it might be easier to find in the future. Thanks again to all that made suggestions!
That’s great I’ll definitely use this thanks for sharing👍

KD

Feb 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Hope it's open in September when we are booked in.
At least you have manged to get booked in! As somebody commented in another recent thread, the CAMC no-deposit scheme is a pain for those who do want to make "genuine" (work holiday determined) visits :-(

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That's great.
Anyone know how i can print it off. Tried but not having it.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
That's great.
Anyone know how i can print it off. Tried but not having it.
No idea, it's just a spreadsheet 🤔 I've attached a Word version in case that's better for you.

Attachments

• Sites.docx
    37.9 KB · Views: 141

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
At least you have manged to get booked in! As somebody commented in another recent thread, the CAMC no-deposit scheme is a pain for those who do want to make "genuine" (work holiday determined) visits :-(
Booked that and a C&CC site in the lakes in October during a cabin fever moment! :rolleyes:
Edit: The second one is paid for so we will use the bookings.

Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
Having fully enjoyed our stay at Oxford C&CC and also at York, we're wondering if there are any other scenic / historic / pleasant places served by a 'local' site? We're not really into long walks / bikes / buses, so it really has to be somewhere on the edge (or centre) of town! Either Club, or Independant so long as they have leccy.

UK Suggestions greatly appreciated 👍
We have done Cambridge and Oxford last Autumn, plan to do York this Autumn. It’s a shame the Bristol site is closing. We too would like to know about other ‘city break’ sites.

Reactions: f6c
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
CMC site at Brighton less than a mile to centre of town if you can stand their sites.
Ha, ha, I like ‘stand their sites’ bit. What are you issues with them. I find misting they are clean, good sites pre se, but regimented, but a tendency for ‘jobs worth’ staff. Having said that only done a few as a newbie and maybe unfair to compare our old camping days with our new motor days where perhaps rules and refs for site are a bit more regimented.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
A fantastic effort and much appreciated. We will certainly stand you a pint, or four, if we bump into you.
👍👍👍

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for that - brilliant!
Two thoughts: the text on the second sheet shot off the edge of the screen - I found if I formatted column B as text then ticked 'wrap text automatically' I got it back (that's with OpenOffice)
and it would be useful to use CMC and CCC for the two clubs (I've just resigned from the CMC!) and maybe CS - just to make it clearer?
Also I've just booked at Higher Kestle Farm (CCC CS) after a recommendation somewhere on here - looks like mile and a half to the Lost Gardens and about the same but downhill so a taxi back maybe into Mevagissey. I could report back in a couple of weeks, but is there a better place on this forum? (guess who doesn't know his way round well enough!)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Thanks for that - brilliant!
Two thoughts: the text on the second sheet shot off the edge of the screen - I found if I formatted column B as text then ticked 'wrap text automatically' I got it back (that's with OpenOffice)
and it would be useful to use CMC and CCC for the two clubs (I've just resigned from the CMC!) and maybe CS - just to make it clearer?
Also I've just booked at Higher Kestle Farm (CCC CS) after a recommendation somewhere on here - looks like mile and a half to the Lost Gardens and about the same but downhill so a taxi back maybe into Mevagissey. I could report back in a couple of weeks, but is there a better place on this forum? (guess who doesn't know his way round well enough!)
Thanks John. It's a snapshot though, I'm not planning to update it - feel free to amend your own copy though 😉

I am in both clubs so just took the site title from their web page. You won't appreciate knowing this but CMC seem to have the majority of Town / City ones, the CCC ones tend to be more remote (and Scotland), which can be good too.

I went to the Lost Gardens and Eden Project a few years ago, our site was close but the roads had no footpaths and were narrow with high hedges, not much fun to walk along. You may want to check on Google Earth street view before you set off.

Most people post in General Chat, if you put the site name in the title people will be able to search for it later. There's also "Best Sites" section but no Gardens category (yet).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sorry missled you nearly 2 miles I didn't realise it was that far.
Phew! I though, blimey, they've knocked something down and moved it closer! Good walk down the drive to the road, for starters unless it's dry enough to walk across the grass (never done the latter) Good walk - in excess of half an hour.

Rammo

Free Member
Dec 11, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner i890
Exp
MoHo since 2017, previous tugger
What a brill resource! - thanks for putting it together 🙏 😉

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
Yep - good site and easy walk to the town.
Just be careful of the dogs in the farmer’s yard through which the public footpath runs - still got the hole in my trousers and scar from a bite several years ago when they were carelessly not tethered; very unpleasant and never been back since!

• Informative
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We have done Cambridge and Oxford last Autumn, plan to do York this Autumn. It’s a shame the Bristol site is closing. We too would like to know about other ‘city break’ sites.

You could try this one its close to where we live between Bristol and Bath so you get the best of both.
It would mean a bus ride but takes you directly into either city.
2 good pubs about a mile away in Swineford and Upton Cheney

Apr 27, 2017
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 years
To add another to that list, there is a C&CC Site in Jedburgh which is pretty handy for the Town. I don't know if I would spend more than a day or so in Jedburgh, but for a short visit of 1-2 days it would be a nice enough place to stay over.
There is a car park by the Abbey, (also the bus station), which is free and on which you can stay overnight. A good stopover for anyone travelling to or from the Highlands. It does start to fill up with motorhomes early evening!! There are a number of historical sites to see in Jedburgh and a few pubs serving meals. Well worth a visit.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

You could try this one its close to where we live between Bristol and Bath so you get the best of both.
It would mean a bus ride but takes you directly into either city.
2 good pubs about a mile away in Swineford and Upton Cheney
Looks great! Can’t see any prices - do you know how much a night it is?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back