New UK aires company has started up (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
They need to provide details of how the money they charge will be used to improve the facilities unless it is just going in their back pocket.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just to add, I am a big fan of Britstops and have been getting the book every year since it started. However, I have said a number of times it needs to go online like FrancePassion. Just yesterday I spent about 45 minutes updating my book from their updates.
Hopefully room for both. I just booked two Britstops at pubs yesterday with a couple of phone calls. We will be eating and spending more than £15 buy only because we WANT to. Have stayed plenty of times and paid nothing or just had a pint of beer if a pub.
Maybe this will push Steve to get his scheme online

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I understand the concept of this but would really expect the site owner to be doing it before I arrived!

1632642707971.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just to add, I am a big fan of Britstops and have been getting the book every year since it started. However, I have said a number of times it needs to go online like FrancePassion. Just yesterday I spent about 45 minutes updating my book from their updates.
Hopefully room for both. I just booked two Britstops at pubs yesterday with a couple of phone calls. We will be eating and spending more than £15 buy only because we WANT to. Have stayed plenty of times and paid nothing or just had a pint of beer if a pub.
Maybe this will push Steve to get his scheme online
With this new thing though you will still be tempted to use the pub, well I would be, even though you have already paid your £15.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
My question is around the word ‘ exclusive’. Are these Aires saying they will ONLY accept bookings from these members or will you find yourself at a Britstop pub having paid £15 whilst the guy next door is free?

In the video, he says it's more like schools, councils etc., so it's more like anyone who has a bit of grass available. However, these places are going to have to be manned during access hours to allow access to only those who've booked a pitch. And, unless the site has a locked gate outside access hours (unlikely for the type of sites the Director cited), what's to stop Joe Blogs turning up at 10pm and paying nothing?

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
On our recent trip to England we stayed at 4 CLs, 3 of them had full facilities including EHU and all cheaper than £15pn. How can they guarantee a pitch if 20 people want to go to a 4 van site?
The answer to your question is - only people who have prepaid get a pitch. Everyone else gets "computer say no!" Same as Camping Car Park- no advanced paid booking = no pitch.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
In the video, he says it's more like schools, councils etc., so it's more like anyone who has a bit of grass available. However, these places are going to have to be manned during access hours to allow access to only those who've booked a pitch. And, unless the site has a locked gate outside access hours (unlikely for the type of sites the Director cited), what's to stop Joe Blogs turning up at 10pm and paying nothing?
And leaving before 7am. We've seen that many times in Europe, no prizes for guessing who are the main culprits, Allez, vite!

Reactions: HKF
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The answer to your question is - only people who have prepaid get a pitch. Everyone else gets "computer say no!" Same as Camping Car Park- no advanced paid booking = no pitch.
Don't see what stops other folks stoping who havnt booked if it's an open field or car park.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
He say about taking number plates to stop a mess being left, are they going to fit cameras on all there sites.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
He say about taking number plates to stop a mess being left, are they going to fit cameras on all there sites.
Presumably you have to put your number in when you book, so if there is litter left it will be down to you even though someone else could have been who hadn't booked.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
For £15 or even £10 a night I would expect water and waste as a bare minimum.
A39618C4-0478-424B-86F5-38C2E8020E00.png
It always amazes me the prices they think are acceptable. Compare there £15 a night for nothing with the CAMPING-CAR site we are on atm. 5 minutes to to walk to town /beach £10 with electric and wifi. The trouble is someone will always pay the top price for nothing and moan that I’m a FLT
In Scotland we passed a sign on a post in the great glen £20 to park in a field :unsure::mad:
I think some have more money than sense

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
"computer say no!" Same as Camping Car Park- no advanced paid booking = no pitch.
You don’t have to prepay to stay Camping Car Parks you turn up and access via your card you only pay when you exit again via your card.
You do pay in advance but only if you prebook but you are under no obligation to prebook.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Difference from Camping Carpark is they have automated barriers etc
Exactly, additionally many of these so called Aires will simply be seen as stopovers and be quickly listed on S4S etc. The automated system that Camping Car Parks operates means it doesn’t matter to them if a Site is listed elsewhere as anyone turning up will have to join and pay via the automated system.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don’t think that does answer my question, the op said a pitch was guaranteed. My question was how can it be guaranteed, for instance if they have 100 pitches in their network and 101 members then they can’t guarantee every member a pitch every night.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I don’t think that does answer my question, the op said a pitch was guaranteed. My question was how can it be guaranteed, for instance if they have 100 pitches in their network and 101 members then they can’t guarantee every member a pitch every night.
I think you are taking that a little too literally. The pitch is guaranteed once booked.

If you go onto their website, find a pitch that is available, book it, you are then guaranteed that the pitch will be available to you when you arrive. If there is none available on the website at your chosen location you cant book it therefore there is no issue with every member getting a pitch every night!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think you are taking that a little too literally. The pitch is guaranteed once booked.

If you go onto their website, find a pitch that is available, book it, you are then guaranteed that the pitch will be available to you when you arrive. If there is none available on the website at your chosen location you cant book it therefore there is no issue with every member getting a pitch every night!
You’re correct I read it wrong and did wonder how it could be guaranteed.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Lots of reasons it might go wrong if the sites are not exclusive to the scheme. If it’s pubs they may well not and anyway their car parks may be full of cars.

if they do go for alot of pubs I can see numerous pubs backing out iof BritStops in favour of getting £15. That would be a shame.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Also a danger for BritStops is the business model. Britstops has one main income stream each year which is the book with a great deal of cost to publish. These new guys can take monthly subscribers on any time and create a strong revenue stream which is also more valuable.

I foresee ‘trouble at mill’

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
My concern would be that a load of pubs which are the main type of britstops start charging £15 a night and still expect you to eat in the Pub. Have seen a few pop up this year doing that which could then set the benchmark for others to follow.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My concern would be that a load of pubs which are the main type of britstops start charging £15 a night and still expect you to eat in the Pub. Have seen a few pop up this year doing that which could then set the benchmark for others to follow.
We go to a pub at Thornton Le Beans - not a Britstop - they charge £12 to stay, you dont have to eat in the pub BUT they are a registered CL and that would probably catch out pubs suddenly wanting to charge to stay over. They may well need some kind of permission or change of use. ??

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's what I'm thinking.
I assume that if a pub or other UK-Aires location that normally accepts overnight parking joins the scheme they will have to turn away/refuse non-subscribers because if they don't then those who've reserved via UK-Aires may find no spaces are available if non-subscribing motorhomers have already parked there.............

(As far as facilities are concerned I've never seen a pub that didn't have a water tap or loos).

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I say good luck to them.

They think they have seen a market opportunity as clearly there is demand.

So what if it is £15 per night…everybody has a choice…

Always amazes me how many people just go out of there way to knock other people/initiatives.

Let people make their own choices/ decisions without throwing negatives around from the outset.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Maybe but their selling point (they told me) is that you are guaranteed a pitch when you book, even on the same day.
So on their sites, no booking through their website =no pitch. Its going to be interesting for the person managing arrivals/departures at site level, good luck to them.
I'm not promoting this new company, just putting the information out on MF for people to think about.

And what about people who don't have smartphones or internet when travelling? I know most people do have smartphones but some people don't (me). I gave the phone I bought to Martin as touchscreens don't recognise I'm touching them. I use the volume control to turn pages on my kindle.

Sounds like another CL/CS type operator .

We go to a pub at Thornton Le Beans - not a Britstop - they charge £12 to stay, you dont have to eat in the pub BUT they are a registered CL and that would probably catch out pubs suddenly wanting to charge to stay over. They may well need some kind of permission or change of use. ??

I hope they have the legalities in place along with insurance etc. There are Acts of Parliament in place which state how long and how many caravans can be in one place at a time. Motorhomes come into the definition of caravan in the Act btw.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Always amazes me how many people just go out of there way to knock other people/initiatives.

Let people make their own choices/ decisions without throwing negatives around from the outset.

It's not just about throwing negatives around. It's about warning people of potential issues and/or problems, just as you might about as new product on the market. If there are negative things to say, they're just as relevant as positive things, especially when peoples' hard earned cash is involved. If the majority of people only want to hear positive things, review sites would be out of business. It's important to hear the good and the bad together in order to make a balanced judgement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back