New UK aires company has started up (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
At the Lincoln Show a very new company UK Aires has a stand. Literally started operating this week.
Similar set up to Camping Car Park but using a variety of existing spaces such as schools, rugby clubs and private land. £15per night no ehu but Services. Various membership rates, all online, pitch guaranteed. Looks interesting. https://www.uk-aire.co.uk/
Tried to post this news on CAMPRA but was blocked 🚫 I thought they were promoting this sort of accommodation!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I’m all for CAMPRA but sadly a lot of the sites that’s popping up are £10 per night with NO facilities. I’m not willing to pay that when I can park in a wilding spot for free. If they were offering services for the £10 then that’s a different matter. I sometimes think we are creating a rod for our own back by supporting these non serviced sites at £10. Happy to pay £10 with toilet dump though.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just looked at the website, nothing there that would make me want to pay for a subscription that won’t appear on SFS sooner or later.
Maybe but their selling point (they told me) is that you are guaranteed a pitch when you book, even on the same day.
So on their sites, no booking through their website =no pitch. Its going to be interesting for the person managing arrivals/departures at site level, good luck to them.
I'm not promoting this new company, just putting the information out on MF for people to think about.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Kups according to their website FAQs:

Do the sites have water and other facilities?
The sites are not expected to provide any facilities – however some sites will be able to allow you to dispose of litter for example – details for which are on the individual site pages on the UK AIRE website.

So no servixes just a parking space is gauranteed for your £15

Edit funflair beat me to it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Maybe but their selling point (they told me) is that you are guaranteed a pitch when you book, even on the same day.

That sounds like the same spiel that businesses used to be told about appearing at the top of google searches, but not everyone can be at the top!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like another CL/CS type operator .

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I'm just uploading a video that contains an interview with one of the directors, make your own minds up as to the legitimacy of the operation - like Kups, also passing on the information. We will be trying the service out next week.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Sounds like another CL/CS type operator .
I think these people have done their homework. They've identified property owners with suitable parking space, offered them around £15 per booking and asking them to manage the site. They make their money from the subscriptions. Not a bad idea with minimum work for the land owner with their existing asset. We get the benefit of another overnight option using a good quality app with instant booking via electronic payment. Contrast with the CL we stayed on last night, three phone calls, uncertain how to access the entry gate and cash to the owner this morning. £12 for a quiet orchard with only a toilet dump and a dubious looking fresh water hose. Let's see how they get on.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Am I missing something, there is nothing to say whether they have 2 sites on their books or 2000, am I just being stupid and missed the obvious?
Good luck to them though, anything that establishes more stopover places has to be good news.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Just looked the sites list and this one of them

The Bees’ Knees​

• Laneham Riding Centre, Main St, Laneham, Retford DN22 0NA, UK
  • 4 Parking Spaces Available
  • Arrival time: Anytime
Quirky little village pub with proper homemade food. Seven cask ales plus craft ales, lagers and ciders. 100+ gins including our very own !
Dogs and children welcome. ‘Live’ jazz first Sunday of every month.

Facilities​

• Chemical Toilet Disposal Point

• Food Available

• Fresh Water Available

• Grey Waste Disposal Point

• Toilets Available

• Wifi Available

Terms of Use
Laneham Riding Centre, Main St, Laneham, Retford DN22 0NA, UK

Location Features​

• Rural Location

Local Area Features / Attractions​

Sundown Adventure Land
North Leverton Working Windmill
Half a mile from River Trent

Reviews​

0 reviews
Submit a Review
£15.00per night

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Am I missing something, there is nothing to say whether they have 2 sites on their books or 2000, am I just being stupid and missed the obvious?
Good luck to them though, anything that establishes more stopover places has to be good news.
The bloke on the Lincoln Show stand opened their app which showed around 50 sites available and its their first week!

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Having to book defeats the object of an Aire. Looks like most places are going to be pub & club car parks 15 quid for that is taking the pee.
What they're selling is a guaranteed pitch bookable on the day if necessary. Camping Car Park also offer that but you get ehu and WiFi included.

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I think the concept that £15 is "too expensive" rather misses the point that whilst Britstops are "free", you inevitably are morally expected to pay much more than that in food costs, thus £15 for a similar park up - with no moral obligation, is actually cheaper.

Those that don't wish to pay for park-ups, want free nights, and are happy to chance getting a space will not need nor want this scheme. Those that want to be able to book online and reserve a space will find solace with this scheme. Agreed it's not for all - but those who want it are entitled to their opinion too.

Just because it's not what YOU want, doesn't make it a scam/waste of time/superflous to requirements. And perhaps the choice of using the phrase AIRE may have been somewhat off the mark, but its a name that sums of "somewhere to park" for me and as a memeber of the great unwashed - it works.

To be clear, I have no involvement and have paid for a month's membership to try it out.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
We joined to give it ago, just be nice to have a night out with a meal and drink and not have to drive home, if we go out at Home costs at least £20 in a taxi

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It's really not difficult to run a spelling/grammar/consistency check on a website, so that it appears more professional. I'm not saying I'm perfect, so no snide comments, please. I'm saying this in the context of appearing professional, particularly at the launch of a new business.

This is a Limited company ( https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13562300 ) and, as such, they are bound by Law to show their registered office, Company Registration Number, where the company is registered and 'Ltd' or 'Limited' after the business name on their website, see here https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited-company/signs-stationery-and-promotional-material Given that the sole Director is also a current Director of two other businesses, these are things he ought to already know.

The Privacy Policy looks incomplete.

Getting basic customer-facing things, like these, wrong doesn't inspire confidence in how the company operates in the background. That's my opinion, for which I don't need a character assassination :D I checked the website out of a genuine interest but I'm left not wanting to trust my holiday booking, or money, with a company that looks so unprofessional.

On the plus side, they do have a verified SSL in place :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's really not difficult to run a spelling/grammar/consistency check on a website, so that it appears more professional. I'm not saying I'm perfect, so no snide comments, please. I'm saying this in the context of appearing professional, particularly at the launch of a new business.

This is a Limited company ( https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13562300 ) and, as such, they are bound by Law to show their registered office, Company Registration Number, where the company is registered and 'Ltd' or 'Limited' after the business name on their website, see here https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited-company/signs-stationery-and-promotional-material Given that the sole Director is also a current Director of two other businesses, these are things he ought to already know.

The Privacy Policy looks incomplete.

Getting basic customer-facing things, like these, wrong doesn't inspire confidence in how the company operates in the background. That's my opinion, for which I don't need a character assassination :D I checked the website out of a genuine interest but I'm left not wanting to trust my holiday booking, or money, with a company that looks so unprofessional.

On the plus side, they do have a verified SSL in place :)
Thanks for the additional information about the company.

Must admit, I shared some of your observations when I studied the website. :unsure:

Reactions: HKF
May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
Here's the interview with the director, I have put the start point so you don't have to watch the rest of the video as that's not my intent here, I just feel that its an interesting piece, he makes some points which may further this discussion.

Again, I have no axe to grind - just passing info on and trying to balance things.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Just to make a simple observation the Aire system which originated in France is as a generalisation operated by the local Majors office, they provide it,they manage it in a simple way and it works. The UK Motorhomer that desperately wishes for something similar generally supports any activity to provide a similar facility,however,the UK being what it’s means that anyone looking to provide as self interest in mind…….profit …….not for the local community as in France but for their own pocket.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Just came back from a cs 10mile from Portsmouth water and chem & waste disposal £5 a night . glorious hideaway but dont go up wrong lane from ? . Still possible to spend £5 for a decent site, £15 for nothing other than a parking space. Even Lenny HB wouldn't complain about the price too much, but the owls thats a different problem.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Camping Carpark is a favorite of mine, good value for money, generally pay 10.60€ to 14€ which includes EHU, Dump and refill, wifi too...would I use what's offered here, perhaps not....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have no real opinion either way, but just one thing, if it mostly pubs, you can nearly always get free stops at pubs by being a member of britstops, or just plainly ringing the pub.
And £15 is pretty dear for a stop with no facilities, you can get stops at haven for half that at times, with everything thrown in, and that is just to mention one.
If it suits you , fine , it's not ridiculously dear for one night to find out, but rubbish and emptying are going to knock it back and they could soon become tips.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My question is around the word ‘ exclusive’. Are these Aires saying they will ONLY accept bookings from these members or will you find yourself at a Britstop pub having paid £15 whilst the guy next door is free?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back