Which bicycles can I buy that isnt made in China? (3 Viewers)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Spa Cycles of Harrogate
Thorn Cycles of Bridgewater

Get a cycle magazine and go through the small ads, there are still quite a few manufacturers, although even many of them have their frames made in Taiwan, which is the cycle manufacturing capital of the world.

"Made in China" could refer to the Repubilc of China (Taiwan), rather than the People's Republic of China (China)

Jan 20, 2021
Glasgow & South Wales
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer S670
Exp
A year
To clarify, are you looking to not buy from China for political reasons, in which case Taiwan might be acceptable to you, or another reason?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
These 2 of ours were made in the UK JonšŸ˜„, Nottingham England.

When Raleigh were a proper UK based company.

28FA1BB4-237A-4DFD-8D42-17940325EC27.jpeg
F80913A3-C3D9-4107-B47E-95BD89BB52E8.jpeg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I love this one, 1980s, I collected 2 Sunday dinners last week and took them back to the van in the basket, very handy, Sturmey Archer 3 gears. What a love
Made in Nottingham England

Oops photos not uploaded

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think these are British, no idea about part sourcing thoughā€¦

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I'm looking for a new hybrid style bike to carry in the motorhome but I'm trying hard to buy less from China. I know I could have a Brompton but don't want wheels quite that small and a Pashley is a bit too big and heavy but almost everything else is made in China. Any suggestions?
I have a brand new Raleigh Motus low step for sale int the adds if you are interested. Bought for my wife but sheā€™s a bit too small for it. Suitable for persons 5ā€™2ā€ - 5ā€™8ā€

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Weā€™ve got Moustache bikes. Theyā€™re made in France, are designed as e-bikes and have a good range.
We have the X-Road range, hybrid in that theyā€™re designed to do everything but well built so you can be a little more extreme.
Velospeed near Newbury were very helpful, they exhibit at the Newbury Show.

Deleted User

Beat me to it šŸ‘šŸ˜

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
British design and made in Taiwan

;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it a regular bike? The website suggests they're all e-bikes.
I think you are right Jon, I also think we need to establish exactly what you want, when you say "hybrid" I don't think that you mean hybrid power source as in pedals and motor, I think you are actually referring to what we might call a crossover so its at home on the road or on some paths but not as extreme as MTB and you want to pedal it I think.

Depending what you want to spend it might be worth looking for a used MTB with 26" wheels, they go out of fashion very quickly and a lot of folk are changing regular bikes for electric or 29" wheel models, you could just put some faster tyres on it and then you might not have to buy Sue a new bike.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think you are right Jon, I also think we need to establish exactly what you want, when you say "hybrid" I don't think that you mean hybrid power source as in pedals and motor, I think you are actually referring to what we might call a crossover so its at home on the road or on some paths but not as extreme as MTB and you want to pedal it I think.

Depending what you want to spend it might be worth looking for a used MTB with 26" wheels, they go out of fashion very quickly and a lot of folk are changing regular bikes for electric or 29" wheel models, you could just put some faster tyres on it and then you might not have to buy Sue a new bike.
I'm after pretty similar to the one I broke last week, so pedal power Ok on road or on gravel, not really bothered about suspension although front might be nice, not snobby about brands just trying not to give more fuel to China.

Having said that it was a bit embarrassing when Sue passed us all uphill on her crappy chinese e-folder šŸ˜§

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Spa Cycles of Harrogate
Thorn Cycles of Bridgewater

Get a cycle magazine and go through the small ads, there are still quite a few manufacturers, although even many of them have their frames made in Taiwan, which is the cycle manufacturing capital of the world.

"Made in China" could refer to the Repubilc of China (Taiwan), rather than the People's Republic of China (China)
Spa frames are made in far east.

Not sure about thorn.

Cheers James

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm looking for a new hybrid style bike to carry in the motorhome but I'm trying hard to buy less from China. I know I could have a Brompton but don't want wheels quite that small and a Pashley is a bit too big and heavy but almost everything else is made in China. Any suggestions?
The next question is, do the suppliers of these bikes have any suitable ones in stock?

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
Scott bikes, e and otherwise, based in Switzerland, frames from Taiwan. They're good!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back