Which bicycles can I buy that isnt made in China? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wherever you want....the carbon issue is that lugs are generally not there....and so my manufacturers have advised me not to clamp my bike stand on the bike in fear of causing damage....there are some great seatpost mounted racks that might suit...
The Cube bikes do look good, if I found one with an Aluminium frame could I fit a rack and a stand to it?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The more you pay the better the chance that they are made somewhere other than China ;)

:LOL: NO you can get seat packs that takes tools, a lock, spare tube etc, as Martin jumar says you have to be careful clamping stuff to a carbon frame but anything is possible, that one was just an example of VFM on a used bike though.
I dont think you can even say that these days Martin, My Nikon Bino's Made in China!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riftzoner

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Whitby Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Ribble from Lancashire design & build their own bikes. They have a complete range of e bikes. As for Euro brands, the majority have put their prices up or even stopped importing to the UK (Rose cycles Germany) after the tit for tat Brexit debacle. As for being totally British, thatā€™s where youā€™ll struggle as most frames are made in Korea by Merida ( the biggest frame builder in the world & part owner of Specialized) or, yes you guessed it China! I own a Santa Cruz ( premium USA brand) & a Kuota (premium Italian brand) both frames are manufactured in China. I Also own 2 Giantā€™s Dutch with Korean owner, one was made in Holland the other Korea.
No one said buying 100% British or non Chinese was going to be easy. Good luck šŸ‘

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's all down to cost Jon, manufacturers were forced to buy from China to stay competitive, the customer rules the market and most customers want cheap. šŸ˜
There will be those that would look at your motorhome and say it's worth every penny and fantastic quality, and those that say you can get a new one for that. šŸ¤”

I remember years ago, our first truck we purchased was a troublesome Volvo, we then went to Scania all my mates said blimey they cost a fortune for spares šŸ˜‰ yes but you don't buy them so often. šŸ˜

These say they are English but have a price tag. :rofl: Bob

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Cube bikes do look good, if I found one with an Aluminium frame could I fit a rack and a stand to it?
I think the stand just clamps behind the bottom bracket, rack will depend on frame design as it needs threads on the rear drop outs and the seat stays unless you are going to go for special seat clamps with threaded lugs.

OK we accept your challenge (y) Budget?

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Ellis Briggs definitely made in Shipley west Yorkshire!

Bob Jackson definitely made in Leeds!

Others are available. But very traditional bikes!!

Cheers James
Using very traditional Shimano and other components . . . . . .

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
All seem to be sold out online.
Always best to buy from a dealer unless you're already an expert at the initial setup. Whyte have a great dealer network. This time of year is the change up to the 2022 model, probably the reason they are out of stocks. However dealers will have 2021 models in stock & a great time to negoiate a discount. I got Ā£500 off my 905RS a few years back as the dealer still had 2x in stock.

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
Everything's from China these days. My boy is on a diet of fish, pollock and salmon, purchased frozen from Asda or Tesco, 'produce of China'.
Why? What about our own fishing industry?
It don't make any sense to be so reliant on a country that's so often condemned for it's human rights abuses etc. Economic sanctions?
We're just pumping cash into a regime that will (or has) take(n) over the world.
Oh and gas from Russia, prices hiked recently suspected of being as the result of the Ruskies manipulating the market for their own ends.
The West has had it's day I'm afraid.
Talk and threats not followed by actions leads to regrets...
Anyway, have a nice day.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Always best to buy from a dealer unless you're already an expert at the initial setup. Whyte have a great dealer network. This time of year is the change up to the 2022 model, probably the reason they are out of stocks. However dealers will have 2021 models in stock & a great time to negoiate a discount. I got Ā£500 off my 905RS a few years back as the dealer still had 2x in stock.

There is a national / global shortage of bikes and components. Dealers are highly unlikely to be offering great deals this year; many do not have any bikes to sell.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think the stand just clamps behind the bottom bracket, rack will depend on frame design as it needs threads on the rear drop outs and the seat stays unless you are going to go for special seat clamps with threaded lugs.

OK we accept your challenge (y) Budget?
Not sure Martin, I like the look of the pashley morgan but Ā£1800 could I leave it anywhere?

I put in Aluminium Cube near me and came up with this one in Wolverhampton, looks like my kind of saddle as well :LOL: but i don't know what I'm buying apart from the not chinese requirement.

<Broken link removed>

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure Martin, I like the look of the pashley morgan but Ā£1800 could I leave it anywhere?

I put in Aluminium Cube near me and came up with this one in Wolverhampton, looks like my kind of saddle as well :LOL: but i don't know what I'm buying apart from the not chinese requirement.

<Broken link removed>
Yes love the Pashley but would want more than a 3 speed, Rolhoff would be good but they are not cheap.

These Ribble look good, https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-trail-acera/#pid=82630 But you would have to do due diligence on the supply chain.

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Specialized, Scot, Merida, Trek, Cannondale and Giant, all buy fraomes fromTaiwan. I have a ten-year-old Specialized tourer, bought new, brilliant gearing for any hills you encounter, a very comfortable ride and not too heavy.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Here's a thought. China makes more cars than the EU, US and Japan combined, but how many were exported here?
Commercially none. Only Norway has a dealership that sells cars from PRC.
BMW iX3, some Volvos, MG, London taxis are made in China and sold here.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
We have just purchased two foldable MiRider e bikes. They are built or assembled in Wigan where the guys are happy to demonstrate the bikes and show you around. Like most bikes the parts are imported into the UK. They fold up and fit in a storage bag, have a range of between 20-40 miles on battery, I can also easily fit both bikes inside my car which is a bonus and keeps them out of sight.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
BMW iX3, some Volvos, MG, London taxis are made in China and sold here.
Sorry, should have been more specific. No Chinese branded cars... unless you have seen any of the following cruising down your local high street? ::bigsmile:
Arcfox , BAIC Motor , Baojun , Bestune , Brilliance , BYD , Byton , Changan , Changfeng , Chery , Englon , Exeed, GAC Trumpchi , GeelyCompact Cars, Geometry , Gonow , Great Wall , Hafei , Haima , Haval , Hawtai , JAC , Jetta , JMC , Landwind , Li Auto , Lifan , Maxus , NIO , Qoros , Ranz , Roewe , Singulato , Soueast , Venucia , Weltmeister , Wuling , XPeng , Zinoro , Zotye

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Even if you buy a supposedly German made bike when it gets down to component parts then they are made in China most cases. It's not easy. Many major European companies have manufacturing plants in China as the labour is cheaper and workers don't argue or have unions. If we want to buy British then we need to rebalanced our economy.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
EcoVoltz.
I have two, both almost three years and over 1500 miles. Never had a thing go wrong. Based in Chesterfield and Thorsbury Park, Newark.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You would be wise to go for Cube....we both used them for a couple of years...great bikes...good build quality...really tough...did 20,000 km on them between us...sold them and the current owner is still doing the stuff...

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wel
Sorry, should have been more specific. No Chinese branded cars... unless you have seen any of the following cruising down your local high street? ::bigsmile:
Arcfox , BAIC Motor , Baojun , Bestune , Brilliance , BYD , Byton , Changan , Changfeng , Chery , Englon , Exeed, GAC Trumpchi , GeelyCompact Cars, Geometry , Gonow , Great Wall , Hafei , Haima , Haval , Hawtai , JAC , Jetta , JMC , Landwind , Li Auto , Lifan , Maxus , NIO , Qoros , Ranz , Roewe , Singulato , Soueast , Venucia , Weltmeister , Wuling , XPeng , Zinoro , Zotye
Weltmeister sounds an interesting marque, equivalent to the Zil by any chance? Only for ambitious pigs :cautious:

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Beat me to it šŸ‘šŸ˜
Beat me also !!
Over 1,000mls clocked up now and I'm super pleased.
IMG_20210810_101935.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back