Which bicycles can I buy that isnt made in China? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm looking for a new hybrid style bike to carry in the motorhome but I'm trying hard to buy less from China. I know I could have a Brompton but don't want wheels quite that small and a Pashley is a bit too big and heavy but almost everything else is made in China. Any suggestions?

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have a Haibike mountain bike , German company mostly German stuff apart from Shimano equipment, assembled in Poland .
Think they do a full range of bikes, nearest dealer is in Welshpool.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Focus bikes. German (Mine )

D68C65A6-921B-4B78-B70B-C61636633A40.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I'm looking for a new hybrid style bike to carry in the motorhome but I'm trying hard to buy less from China. I know I could have a Brompton but don't want wheels quite that small and a Pashley is a bit too big and heavy but almost everything else is made in China. Any suggestions?
I think you’ll need to find a custom frame builder as even the small British companies get their frames make in China.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That
I have a Haibike mountain bike , German company mostly German stuff apart from Shimano equipment, assembled in Poland .
Think they do a full range of bikes, nearest dealer is in Welshpool.
thanks I've had a look, is there a non-electric option?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Buy a Gazelle, top brand, Made in the Netherlands , the Dutch know how to make a bike, quality is incredible, I have a few, they live outside as nothing can rust on it, they are that good, various dealers in UK , I bought mine in the Flying Dutchman shop in London , purchased over the phone, courier dropped it off. They make all sorts, their hybrids are so comfortable you can cycle all day, they also have very nice electric bikes, google the gazelle ultimate, all bikes are made in their huge factory in dieren the Netherlands and have been for over hundred years!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just bought a very nice lightweight hybrid Boardman bike.
With a name like that you might expect it to be largely made in the U.K.
Stuck underneath the bottom of the frame, almost out of site, was the sticky label, 'Made in China'. :(

Richard.
its disappointing isn't it? My wife bought me some compact Nikon binos, they didn't feel right and yes Made in China.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Buy a Gazelle, top brand, Made in the Netherlands , the Dutch know how to make a bike, quality is incredible, I have a few, they live outside as nothing can rust on it, they are that good, various dealers in UK , I bought mine in the Flying Dutchman shop in London , purchased over the phone, courier dropped it off. They make all sorts, their hybrids are so comfortable you can cycle all day, they also have very nice electric bikes, google the gazelle ultimate, all bikes are made in their huge factory in dieren the Netherlands and have been for over hundred years!
I suppose the only question is whether they've tried them on hills!!
Just looked at them on Rutland cycles site look good.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve found that none of the bikes I’ve owned over many years have been good on hills….…apart from my electric bike.
Is it the crap quality of the bikes or could it be the crap quality of my feeble leg muscles? :Eeek: :cycle:

Richard.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I’ve found that none of the bikes I’ve owned over many years have been good on hills….…apart from my electric bike.
Is it the crap quality of the bikes or could it be the crap quality of my feeble leg muscles? :Eeek: :cycle:

Richard.
I think I've got a crap bike too!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Good luck with your search - if you find a bike assembled outside of China, chances are the components (gears etc) will have been made in China so I guess it's a question of how much Chinese are you willing to put up with.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Good luck with your search - if you find a bike assembled outside of China, chances are the components (gears etc) will have been made in China so I guess it's a question of how much Chinese are you willing to put up with.
Just how did we let ourselves get in this position? At the mercy of a brutal totalitarian state with ambitions of world dominance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Whatever you buy most of it will be made in Asia, Tiwain makes the best frames, gears & brakes with come from China, not sure where Bosch motors are made but probably China. You don't stand a chance really.
Ours are Scott an American/Swiss company but the bikes were assembled in Holland.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
DAWES home made in the UK and been around for years my old one is the most comfortable ride, they are even doing ebikes now

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There are British bike builders but they don't come in as cheap as China and that possibly goes some way to answering your question Jon jongood "how did we get in this position"

Orange bikes built in UK https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/us/stories/view/handbuilt_in_halifax

"Built" can be anything from fully manufactured frame and many custom components to simple assembly of Chinese parts.

Aug 7, 2021
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam A CLASS
Exp
I’ve been looking at KTM cycles (got a couple of Ktm motorcycles as well) form what I can read up on them they are all made in Austria

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Ellis Briggs definitely made in Shipley west Yorkshire!

Bob Jackson definitely made in Leeds!

Others are available. But very traditional bikes!!

Cheers James

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
The gazelle factory has an English version of their website too if you want to see the whole range and I can confirm they do hills too😁, but my Dutch legs are not really designed for it, I think it is nearly time for some electric assistance 😆🤣😆

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back