Which bicycles can I buy that isnt made in China? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Just had to make a comment on this one, guys. Years ago i headed up the non food team at the Carrefour Hypermarket at Eastleigh near Southampton. BMX bikes had just come in. We had some cheap BMX style imports from China, they didnt last 2 minutes as people thought they were the real thing. Not sure if there was a Welsh conspiracy going on at the time, but i always remember the tyres had stamped on them, made in China, Dai Yung. D Y, being the factory, always made me smile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have a brand new Raleigh Motus low step for sale int the adds if you are interested. Bought for my wife but she’s a bit too small for it. Suitable for persons 5’2” - 5’8”
Raleigh made in China and assembled in Notts.BUSBY.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have a look at Shan’s bikes near Livingston, they make everything on site as far as I’m aware, might not be cheap but they are good.

Wyvern

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
We have Furo Systems - good quality components…we have the folding carbon fibre bikes for the moho….they are light powerful and well equipped. They also do a hybrid as well.

A British company, their service has been excellent.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Raleigh made in China and assembled in Notts.BUSBY.
In May 1999 Raleigh announced it was ceasing volume production of bicycle frames made in the UK. In December 1999 the current frame welding machines, installed only 3 years earlier in 1996, were auctioned off. So after 1999 you are probably correct.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That looks good Martin, but can I get a rack for it?
Wouldn't want to put a rack on a carbon bike, except if clamped on the seat post...
We have 2 German built bikes YT...and have just ordered 2 bikes from Canyon...German also..most quality components are made in far east at a remarkable standard however in short supply due to Covid....

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wouldn't want to put a rack on a carbon bike, except if clamped on the seat post...
We have 2 German built bikes YT...and have just ordered 2 bikes from Canyon...German also..most quality components are made in far east at a remarkable standard however in short supply due to Covid....
Where do locks etc go then?

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Oh the 'Irony' ...Popped into a £1 type shop to buy a 'mask' before taking my new (to-me) MH into the garage for a 'check-over'..(I knew they were sticklers for their customers wearing face-masks while waiting in the reception)...found the 'mask' section,...every Single Pack of Masks, Made in 'China' !!!....They (the chinese) should Hang their heads in shame for launching the virus upon the world and as part of recompense...Give every one masks for Free !

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Frames still made in Taiwan or China though
Is does seem ridiculous to me, the main part of a bicycle is the frame, wouldn’t it be lovely to get the whole thing made and assembled in one country, preferably the UK and without paying thousands for it either.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Where do locks etc go then?
Wherever you want....the carbon issue is that lugs are generally not there....and so my manufacturers have advised me not to clamp my bike stand on the bike in fear of causing damage....there are some great seatpost mounted racks that might suit...

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
How about make your own or find a local bike shop to build a custom bike for you...

Buy a 1990's Raleigh or similar (made in England) frame from eBay or wherever and choose what style wheels you need. Handle bars and gears..

Good for the planet and also a bike like this would only go up in value. 👌🏽

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I thought thats where they went but when I looked at Derby Cycles, they're claiming them, they say they're made in Cloppenburg.........
Could be ,,The assembly plant is near Eastwood Notts.BUSBY.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wonder how you sort out which are made in Germany or NL?
The more you pay the better the chance that they are made somewhere other than China ;)

That looks good Martin, but can I get a rack for it?
:LOL: NO you can get seat packs that takes tools, a lock, spare tube etc, as Martin jumar says you have to be careful clamping stuff to a carbon frame but anything is possible, that one was just an example of VFM on a used bike though.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I suspect even with a British built bicycle, if a frame is made here there will be components that will have to be sourced from overseas, gearing for example such as Shimano, eBikes chances are the batteries will be sourced from China.

We live in a Globally supplied era, the public want ‘cheap’ goods you see this on many MotorhomeFun pages people buying from Amazon at bargain basement pricing from vacuum cleaners to shavers carpets and yes bikes……

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
We have Cube bikes, frames and motor(Bosch) made in Germany but many of the ancillaries such as the Kiox control unit stamped “Made in China” even so great bikes, unfortunately, I think you’ll find it impossible to find a bike, of any kind, without some Chinese parts!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
The western world's increasing distrust of PRC, hasn't yet distilled into a commitment to not buy Chinese. Mainly because it is cheaper to make it and ship it half way round the world, than it is to make it in the next town.

So be it bikes, batteries or barbecues, everyone needs to ask themselves a question. How much more am I willing to pay to NOT buy Chinese? Once British manufacturing get an answer to that question, we can once again buy British.

Here's a thought. China makes more cars than the EU, US and Japan combined, but how many were exported here?
Commercially none. Only Norway has a dealership that sells cars from PRC. The answer is that we trust certain brands. So we are happy to buy Chinese bikes, but not cars.

The quality of many Chinese goods is questionable, hit and miss even. Chinese steel is nowhere near as good as western (especially British) steel. Their manufacturing methods are filthy on the the environment. Their people are paid a pittance, if they are paid at all. Their record on human rights is execrable.

So kudos to jongood for wanting to NOT buy Chinese bikes. If we all do that, then it could contribute to quality manufacturing can return to UK.

Jun 24, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since May 2021
Just how did we let ourselves get in this position? At the mercy of a brutal totalitarian state with ambitions of world dominance.
You are right. “We” got ourselves into this position by thinking that because cheap shopping is something to always aim for. Clothes, electronics, consumer goods have been consistently cheaper in recent years from China and the Far East. Until recently nobody seemed bothered about the other side of the coin. UK and other Western manufacturing was bound to suffer with our labour costs three times higher than those seen in China. Sadly I don’t believe the UK public either understands or cares until too late. I applaud your effort to limit the amount of Chinese kit you are buying, it is a great idea but increasingly difficult!
sorry to rant, I recently retired from a 30 year career in manufacturing 😉

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There's a shortage of bikes and components. Even if a non-China sourced company is found, you may struggle to be able to buy a suitable bike.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I'm looking for a new hybrid style bike to carry in the motorhome but I'm trying hard to buy less from China. I know I could have a Brompton but don't want wheels quite that small and a Pashley is a bit too big and heavy but almost everything else is made in China. Any suggestions?
Maybe you could do worse than talk to J F Wilson cycles in Sheffield. Jim himself was 5 times National road champion, a team manager and his family business founded in 1948, has been hand building cycle frames ever since.
I was a time trialler in my younger days and had 2 handmade frames from him, both custom made to size. I destroyed the first in a RTA but I still have the 2nd, 46 years on!

The business is still family run and owned….
<Broken link removed>

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Ribble make some fine bike.
“Assembled in England”

They’re on my radar for my next bike.
Their e-bikes look good.
Well, hybrids, gravel bikes, custom, etc. I think they do the lot.
(Maybe not Bromptons 🤔)

Ribble said:

Bike Shop - Ribble Cycles​

Leading British Cycle Manufacturer​

We love what we do; designing, building and riding our bikes and we want everyone else to love cycling too! That’s why we offer excellent quality bikes for arguably the best value in the market.

Each bike hand assembled in England, one bike, one mechanic. Tried, tested and proven by industry experts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back