Do you offer your motorhome out for hire? (3 Viewers)

Aug 19, 2020
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, I am thinking of offering my Mooveo out to rent to friends and family and wondered if any of you currently do this could share your experiences.
I am not sure how keen I'd be to let strangers come along and drive it away, but I guess if you make it over 35yr olds with clean license and leave a hefty deposit, would I be asking for trouble?

If any of you currently do rent your van out, how do you go about insurance etc? Do you use an agency? What happens when it comes back with a broken drawer handle or cupboard door?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Often asked question and many replies if you use the Search facility (Spyglass top right of this page).

(Link to previous post post deleted as my reply crossed with the same one posted by Tombola )

Comfort Insurance will cover for hiring out. A quote might make you change your mind ;) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What happens when it comes back with a broken drawer handle or cupboard door?

Hmm, those are nothing; far worse issues are more likely (e.g. putting diesel fuel in the fresh water tank isn't uncommon) , then you'll have a very difficult conversation with the next hirer on their way to you.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No. I did lend one of my old motorhomes to my daughter once but I drove it both ways for her. There was no hiring involved. The moment hiring and money is involved you are on very dodgy ground, all sorts of liabilities and insurance implications.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry, but another 'No' from me too.

I used to help a friend let out his new van - as I recall, it didn't come back a single time without some sort of damage - major or minor.

It had a live tracker on board and on more than one occasion we could see it travelling at over 80 mph! :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I really dont know how, unless they have a few reserves, how MH Hire companies manage to fix/repair their vans before the next booked in clients arrive.
It can take weeks to find some parts and receive them these days, look at The Swift Factory example, over 80 new vans stuck in production awaiting parts from the EU, delivery dates to clients/dealers postponed for many months.(nothing new there from Swift:mad:)

If you can get insurance cover, I bet its at an eyewatering cost, I wonder what the policy excess amount would be? as for a deposit, would a thousand pounds cover the damages that could happen, plus the lost business while its off the road.

Hiring out, even to friends & family, if money is involved, then its no way from me.
LES

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst the idea may seem good it comes with a lot of pitfalls which have already been mentioned, the biggest issue for me would be having it damaged in a way that I couldn't use it when I wanted to and that would be a real bummer.

My SIL thought she could use our new MH many years ago, and emphatic "No!" was immediately given by my hubby! Nuff said.

Upvote 0

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Currently lending mine out to friends. I would need to be able to trust the person using her and ensure that I have confidence in what theyā€™re doing. Easy test. Check their mobile. If itā€™s brokenā€¦ itā€™s a no. Renting out to people I donā€™t know, that requires real faith or a very solid insurance policy.

Upvote 0

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
Hi all, I am thinking of offering my Mooveo out to rent to friends and family and wondered if any of you currently do this could share your experiences.
I am not sure how keen I'd be to let strangers come along and drive it away, but I guess if you make it over 35yr olds with clean license and leave a hefty deposit, would I be asking for trouble?

If any of you currently do rent your van out, how do you go about insurance etc? Do you use an agency? What happens when it comes back with a broken drawer handle or cupboard door?
I personally would never do it. If any parts of the mh are damaged by friends of family you would feel so awkward to ask them for money to replace any damage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back