Do you offer your motorhome out for hire? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2020
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, I am thinking of offering my Mooveo out to rent to friends and family and wondered if any of you currently do this could share your experiences.
I am not sure how keen I'd be to let strangers come along and drive it away, but I guess if you make it over 35yr olds with clean license and leave a hefty deposit, would I be asking for trouble?

If any of you currently do rent your van out, how do you go about insurance etc? Do you use an agency? What happens when it comes back with a broken drawer handle or cupboard door?

May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
Hi all, I am thinking of offering my Mooveo out to rent to friends and family and wondered if any of you currently do this could share your experiences.
I am not sure how keen I'd be to let strangers come along and drive it away, but I guess if you make it over 35yr olds with clean license and leave a hefty deposit, would I be asking for trouble?

If any of you currently do rent your van out, how do you go about insurance etc? Do you use an agency? What happens when it comes back with a broken drawer handle or cupboard door?
Absolutely no way. Not even loaning to friends. My baby.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
NO WAY!!! We made that clear right from the moment we got our first motor home, we would not be lending it out to anyone. Funny how people seem to expect this and the amount of people who say "I could borrow it......" Would they expect to borrow your car? Well why do they think you would lend out a vehicle that is worth probably 2/3 times as much? Motorhomes are easily damaged by people who are inexperienced. If you do something stupid yourself you feel bad but you live and learn. If someone were to do it to my motorhome I would be angry. Fastest way to lose friends and upset your family I would think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
When I was working away the year before last I let one of my brothers use mine, I wasn't with the van when he collected it and he hadn't driven a 7.5t for years, I got a phone call on the first evening. The first words out of his mouth were, "its bloody massive", which didn't instill a lot of confidence but he looked after it with no problems.😂

Upvote 0

Wyvern

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Not a chance…friend over the road rented out his lovely T6 and had nothing but hassle….the worst of which came from friends so he stopped this but continued to rent out. He then gave this up as just too much hassle.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I lend mine to my children all the time. They grew up holidaying with us and love it. I'd sooner them use it with their children than it just sitting on the drive. They take care with it but if there are any mishaps we soon get it sorted. I doubt if they could afford to buy one till we die anyway!

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011

Nope. Never.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I lend mine to my children all the time. They grew up holidaying with us and love it. I'd sooner them use it with their children than it just sitting on the drive. They take care with it but if there are any mishaps we soon get it sorted. I doubt if they could afford to buy one till we die anyway!

That seems to be an exception, since they grew up with the MH and therefore probably know how everything works and even the pitfalls of driving/parking etc.

Similarly if I had friends who I knew had a similar MH and just wanted to fly to our country to tour for a week or two I might(?) consider it.

Heyup! - then we would have to take out all our personal stuff, which we keep in there in duplicate of our household stuff - duvets, clothes, toiletries and lots of other stuff.

So even that idea rules it out.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
I would happily drive it and park it up on a site for my family to use but not keen on them driving about. I only have a couple of friends that I would trust to use it and look after it. Also you have to accept that something will break.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Your Profile says you're a Newbie.
Many of your hirers could well be totally inexperienced.
Did you know instinctively how to drive it and park it safely, or remember how to fill with water, empty tanks and the loo and operate and look after everything after a quick demonstration?

I didn't and I'm a mechanical engineer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
EEB8BDAE-6E76-4925-993F-D5108F44CA17.jpeg

Upvote 0

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
I'm paranoid if the little ones are in unsupervised. Rebuilt the rear blinds last year after a pair of grandchildren were playing with them. This year rebuilt the interior hab door handle after Grandaughter, daughter in law or mum in law tried to get out whilst the rest of the family were finishing our meal. Mum in law hammered on the window - "how do I get out?". Grandaughter worried and mum says " Grandpa is good at fixing things". A day's work later having hand drilled a hole for the broken pin - 4 hours with only a drill bit and no drill. Knaus parts nolonger available from Lowdhams as they had their account switched off January 1st. Preston or Scotland for dealers and a customs Brexit nightmare. Don't even think about renting out. I've lent two tents out and both came back wrecked. It's tough to say no sometimes to family. 😔

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

I have lent mine to a friend and my two sons but strictly no money to change hands as the insurers need to know. My sone got a weekend cover for £95 fully comp thus no risk to my insurance. The friend brought it back cleaner than it left me but choose your friends carefully and insist they insure themselves fully comp. there are plenty of brokers doing short term cover

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
When I see the way hired motorhomes are driven (80mph+) on the fast lane of the Motorway would be enough on it's own to put anyone off hiring their van out :(

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
If you decide to hire it out there is a group of folk I know, 7 of them, who are looking for one to take to Glastonbury for a week.
That reminds me of a work colleague who wanted to use a motorhome for him and his
mates at a festival. He looked into hiring but was too expensive and was worried about losing his deposit as his mates could be idiots after a few drinks. Why he thought he had a cat in hell chance of using mine I have no idea!:oops:
l

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My son and his girlfriend are away in my Eriba this week - so far "the hob won't work" - gas bottle switched off, "the 3 pin sockets don't work" - not on hook up, but so far they are loving it (y)
If you don’t tell them how to switch those things on you may find it is returned quickly 😎

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712sb
Exp
Interesting topic this. We had a cottage in Devon for several years, initially we agreed that we would let friends and family use it for what it cost. We thought as we weren’t letting it as a holiday cottage and we wouldn’t be there every week it would mean they could have a reduced cost break that they might not Normally be able to have. What we found was that they all took the biscuit. Breakages, mess, lack of cleaning, and some close friends though it would be ok to use almost all of our stock of logs and coal and not replace them…. That was the last time anyone stayed.

Sadly this tainted friends and family use and it will not be happening with anything other than them coming to stay with us for a night or two in company. It’s private use only or a business proposition only - don’t mix them.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Read somewhere about a guy who did an excellent Van conversion and thought he’d rent it out to recover some of the costs. After first rental he was back to square one as he discovered lots of little things broken that he didn’t pick up upon return. Broken handles, hinges, scratches and chips etc etc. If you don’t mind a bit of damage here and there and you’re not that fussed about who sleeps in your bed then crack on and hire it out.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
No way!
Even if it wasn’t our home there is no way I would ever let anyone else use our van!
People who don’t have a MoHo or have never had anything to do with one don’t understand the fact that materials used are not the same as in a house….eg.a house water tap is metal and solidly fixed, you van water tap may be metal but more than likely it’s fixed in plastic or wood!
A lot of damage can be done, catches broken, walls marked, some hobs can be lit accidentally, will they drop the cassette cap down the elsan, will they forget which filler takes water or diesel?
No our van stays with us!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back