Now EE announces roaming charges (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
EE is apparently going to introduce roaming charges effective from January 2022, for anybody joining the network or upgrading after 7 July.

Sounds potentially more significant than the O2 announcement yesterday.

Apparently, existing contracts that are already in place will not be affected.

"Speaking about the changes an EE spokesperson said, “From January next year, EE will introduce a new flat fee of £2 a day for customers wishing to roam across 47 European destinations (with the exception of ROI which is included in domestic plans), allowing them to use their plan’s full data, minutes and texts allowance. This will apply only to new and upgrading customers signing up to EE from the 7th July 2021 and will support investment into our UK based customer service and leading UK network."

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Another very good value package

not read the detail, but does it say that new customers will pay a lot more than £2 / day extra?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It's a shame more folk couldn't see this was inevitable. For those who can see it affecting us, it is going to cost more and limit flexibility with suppliers. Prices up and choices reduced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The limits EE have put on are perfectly fair and reasonable. The problem is that there's nothing to stop other providers and tariffs being unreasonable.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I would think most people in the position to afford a 180 day holiday can afford £2 a day
Anybody planning to do 2 x 90 day stints on the continent will face an extra £360 per annum ADDED to their existing contract costs - a not insignificant additional sum for something previously included in their mobile plan I'd have thought. :unsure:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Anybody planning to do 2 x 90 day stints on the continent will face an extra £360 per annum ADDED to their existing contract costs - a not insignificant additional sum for something previously included in their mobile plan I'd have thought. :unsure:
Although when roaming charges were removed they probably saved even more. I think even after the new charges are introduced the cost will historically be pretty low.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Further down the article reads...

"EE also says that you can add on a Smart Benefit when buying a new SIM or contract which can then be used to get free data when you travel."

🙄

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
For each user. A family of 4 away for a fortnight could have to pay over £100 extra to roam.
If someone can afford to supply all their kids with phones and take them abroad on holiday a small charge for roaming is not going to break them. Blimey you’re want the government to pay for their holiday next.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you’re that skint don’t go

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Must be false; we were told European roaming charges wouldn't return.

That assumed at least one of the 4 network providers wouldn't resume adding roaming charges.

When they all follow suit, it's a clear sign of market failure. Or worse, anti-competitive collusion.

They are relying on "mustn't grumble it's only £2 a day" lack of objection.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Three just announced dropping 20gb to 12gb fair usage from July for Europe

Any bets on what time Vodafone will announce their changes?
They did it some time ago there was a thread running about it 😊

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

from Vodafone :
How the policy will work​

From 18 January 2021, if you use your phone abroad in any of your plan’s inclusive roaming destinations for 62 or more days in a four month period, and your usage in those destinations is more than your usage in the UK we’ll send you a warning email or text to let you know when this happens.

If after 14 days of us sending you a warning message your roaming usage continues, you may be charged the following extra charges to use your phone in your inclusive roaming destinations:

• Calls: 3.3p a minute
  • Texts: 1p each
  • Data: £3.13 for each 1GB
Just to note, these rates are set under European Union Roaming regulations.

Rest assured, you’ll still be able to receive calls and texts while abroad in your inclusive roaming destinations at no extra cost

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If someone can afford to supply all their kids with phones and take them abroad on holiday a small charge for roaming is not going to break them. Blimey you’re want the government to pay for their holiday next
It won't break peeps but it sure isn't an advantage is it? Of course, it won't impact on some but for many it will do and it seems appropriate to think of others rather than oneself.

The cost of supplying phones and contracts isn't necessarily great - three of us have reused or refurbished phones and pay £22 a month for 24Gb between us. Remind me who to thank when our roaming charges cut in...

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Going to make streaming uk TV abroad very expensive .
Was thinking of not bothering with satellite on my new A-class .
Might have to rethink

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It won't break peeps but it sure isn't an advantage is it? Of course, it won't impact on some but for many it will do and it seems appropriate to think of others rather than oneself.

The cost of supplying phones and contracts isn't necessarily great - three of us have reused or refurbished phones and pay £22 a month for 24Gb between us. Remind me who to thank when our roaming charges cut in...
They will be going on holiday with their pockets stuffed full of furlough cash and you honestly want me to feel sympathy for them. You must be used to some marvellous money trees where ever you live.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They will be going on holiday with their pockets stuffed full of furlough cash and you honestly want me to feel sympathy for them. You must be used to some marvellous money trees where ever you live.
I wouldn't expect your posts to have sympathy just as I'm not surprised that you're assuming that everyone is on expensive contracts or have pockets lined with furlough cash. Roaming charges could add around 8% to our holiday costs but I'm sure you'll have some reason why that isn't an issue or could be avoided if we did it a different way. The UK money trees don't look healthy at moment; I guess that they are waiting to enjoy the benefits of trades with Australia.

Where are your money trees based if £100 extra on top of a holiday cost is nothing to worry about?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wouldn't expect your posts to have sympathy just as I'm not surprised that you're assuming that everyone is on expensive contracts or have pockets lined with furlough cash. Roaming charges could add around 8% to our holiday costs but I'm sure you'll have some reason why that isn't an issue or could be avoided if we did it a different way. The UK money trees don't look healthy at moment; I guess that they are waiting to enjoy the benefits of trades with Australia.

Where are your money trees based if £100 extra on top of a holiday cost is nothing to worry about?
I won’t be going so makes no difference to me unless Scotland is included , of course I have no sympathy just as others are not bothered about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back