Now EE announces roaming charges (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Sat systems? Who needs those when we return to three channels on our B&W boxes? It worked so well before....
Yeah 3 channels B&W box’s bring it on, might stop all the kids staying in watching 300 channels and playing HD video games all day. They’ll have to go and kick a ball and ride a bike/skateboard with their legs instead of their fingers!! Might just turn a corner with childhood obesity🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I did not know your in charge now of what people can post if you don’t like what they posted.
Just checking I've got it right.... It won't impact you 'cos you only go to Scotland. For those who are impacted, it is their fault for having kids, going on holiday with their pockets stuffed with furlough cash and daring to use their mobile phones; they should be pleased to pay an extra £100 a fortnight. It makes perfect sense... Nothing not to like.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yeah 3 channels B&W box’s bring it on, might stop all the kids staying in watching 300 channels and playing HD video games all day. They’ll have to go and kick a ball and ride a bike/skateboard with their legs instead of their fingers!! Might just turn a corner with childhood obesity🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Might help with adult obesity... Since the majority of adults are overweight or obese and the majority of overweight kids have overweight parents.

I wonder how much exercise kids get compared to adults... I suspect many kids are far more active than their parents, even those kids who play computer games.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think BT and OpenReach are a great service. Wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.(y)

BT only think of their director renumeration and profit for the shareholders. Ofcom have tried for years to control their monopoly and BT have always been to clever for them. Various government have paid BT/Openreach billions of pounds over at least the last 10 years to provide some level of broadband to every home in the country and they have still not managed it

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
BT only think of their director renumeration and profit for the shareholders. Ofcom have tried for years to control their monopoly and BT have always been to clever for them. Various government have paid BT/Openreach billions of pounds over at least the last 10 years to provide some level of broadband to every home in the country and they have still not managed it
The first observation is that Corporate tend to pay director renumeration and pay their shareholders from profits, its how the stock market and capitalism works. From what I read like many corporate the employees i the main have good benefits a decent wage and pensions so its actually good for the economy.

BT also paid the government around 4bn for 3g licences so the money is not one way

Whilst blaming BT/Openreach for not providing broadband to every home in the country you may also wish to blame the policies that lead to this situation. The country could have had fibre to the home years ago. Click one the link for the full story or

"As you sit on the phone to your ISP's customer service line, listening to half-baked excuses for why you've only got 0.5Mbps upload speed and why you "need" to upgrade to "superfast" fibre optic, it may be little comfort to know that in an alternate reality you'd already have it as standard.

In 1990, a single decision by then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had a devastating effect on the UK's broadband deals infrastructure for the next 20 years and for the foreseeable future."

"Unfortunately, the Thatcher government decided that it wanted the American cable companies providing the same service to increase competition. So the decision was made to close down the local loop roll out and in 1991 that roll out was stopped. The two factories that BT had built to build fibre related components were sold to Fujitsu and HP, the assets were stripped and the expertise was shipped out to South East Asia.

"Our colleagues in Korea and Japan, who were working with quite closely at the time, stood back and looked at what happened to us in amazement. What was pivotal was that they carried on with their respective fibre rollouts. And, well, the rest is history as they say.

"What is quite astonishing is that a very similar thing happened in the United States. The US, UK and Japan were leading the world. In the US, a judge was appointed by Congress to break up AT&T. And so AT&T became things like BellSouth and at that point, political decisions were made that crippled the roll out of optical fibre across the rest of the western world, because the rest of the countries just followed like sheep.

"This created a very stop-start roll-out which doesn't work with fibre optic - it needs to be done en masse. You needed economy of scale. You could not roll out fibre to the home for 1% of Europe and make it economic, you had to go whole hog.

"It's like everything else in the electronics world, if you make one laptop, it costs billions; if you make billions of laptops it costs a few quid".

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
"Our colleagues in Korea and Japan, who were working with quite closely at the time, stood back and looked at what happened to us in amazement. What was pivotal was that they carried on with their respective fibre rollouts. And, well, the rest is history as they say.
With Korea having average fixed broadband speeds around 3x that of the UK and Japan around 2x.:rolleyes:

Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
Once one starts charging they all will so there will be little point switching. Good news for sat TV sellers just as everyone was switching to internet TV
Glad I kept my dish now!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Just a thought all these families that are going to have to pay a huge % more on their holiday because they are taking their phones with them. Have they thought of instead of being on their phones they could try talking to each other and seeing what the country that they are visiting is all about.
They may just be planning what to see in the country is all about using the internet on their phones/tablets?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Nothing in life is free it’s paid for by someone. So maybe instead of Uk users subsidising free roaming, noe those actually using it will have to pay for it. I do realise that some thought everything thing was free when we was in the eu, but maybe they cannot see the bigger picture.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Nothing in life is free it’s paid for by someone. So maybe instead of Uk users subsidising free roaming, noe those actually using it will have to pay for it. I do realise that some thought everything thing was free when we was in the eu, but maybe they cannot see the bigger picture.
But those who used the roaming in the EU also paid the same as those who did not used it so i don't get your logic? Same could be said for schools only those with kids pay, hospitals only the sick pay, fire brigade only those who have a fire pay? I get unlimited minutes to talk but rarely use my phone but see lots of others with their phones glued to their ears so should they pay more?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
But those who used the roaming in the EU also paid the same as those who did not used it so i don't get your logic? Same could be said for schools only those with kids pay, hospitals only the sick pay, fire brigade only those who have a fire pay? I get unlimited minutes to talk but rarely use my phone but see lots of others with their phones glued to their ears so should they pay more?
My logic is pay for what you use not pay for others

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Spot on we do not have kids should we have a refund for not using schools or child services ( I'm sure the list goes on). But I don't mind contributing to a a civilised social society.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As far as I am aware schools et comes out of tax not a private company, I may be wrong.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Spot on we do not have kids should we have a refund for not using schools or child services ( I'm sure the list goes on). But I don't mind contributing to a a civilised social society.
I wonder if those without kids will be happy to pay more for services in the future and only take out what they have contributed in tax. I wouldn't want the tax paid by my kids to be used to support those who didn't support younger generations grow and gain the skills and education required for their employment. ;)

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
I came back yesterday after a 10-day essential family visit to The Netherlands using the campervan and Hull-Rotterdam (the border crossings were stressful even though we were sure we had copies of everything we could ever need . . . >20 pages printed). My SMARTY MiFi told me as I arrived that the 20Gb Fair Use was down to 12Gb, while my phone's Three unlimited contract's Fair Usage was 20Gb. The AVTEC TV in the van could find zero TV stations (en mijn Nederlands is wel goed genoeg om de locale televise kanalen te bekeken). Don't know why, but even my 90 year old mother-in-law watches TV by cable (so have they switched off all broadcast TV? Anyone know?).

Re "talking to each other and seeing what the country that they are visiting is all about", after an hour my MIL was tired, we talk to each other a lot every day, my partner is Dutch and I lived there for 9 years so we know a lot about the country we were visiting . . . and England was playing football. MIL's WiFi gave us about 0.5Mb/s, so a no-go. So using a VPN to access BBC and ITV, meant >2Gb data per match. That plus some needed work on my laptop means we ate all the 12Gb, plus all the purchased add-on of 4Gb (£1/Gb), plus to-be-confirmed phone data.

So mobile data in Europe going to be more expensive next time for all . . . but that is what we wanted.

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
I wonder if those without kids will be happy to pay more for services in the future and only take out what they have contributed in tax. I wouldn't want the tax paid by my kids to be used to support those who didn't support younger generations grow and gain the skills and education required for their employment. ;)
Could my taxes only be used to pay for kids who will actively contribute to society and pay taxes

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It does amaze me how many people like to contribute to subsidise someone else’s life style, only on YouTube people send them money or coffees etc. Obviously must earn a lot more money than me.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My logic is pay for what you use not pay for others
But how do you assess the cost of what you use. I'm pretty sure that a huge proportion of the cost will be constructing and maintenance of the network no matter if you make one call or use lots of calls and data. In that case there ought to be a pretty large standing charge and low users like me ought to be paying a lot more.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It does amaze me how many people don't like to contribute to subsidise someone else’s life. I wonder how they would have coped without all those tax payers working to support them when they were young, old or sick. Ironic that they actually need the younger generations to work to support them.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As far as I am aware schools et comes out of tax not a private company, I may be wrong.
So when you use electricity or gas are you paying for the perceived little bit of the network you use or does your contribution along with everyone else help maintain the whole of the distribution system? it is a selfless act contributing to the provision and maintenance of the whole network otherwise it would be very costly for you and everyone paying just for your little bit, its a social enterprise in a capitalist world ;)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Could my taxes only be used to pay for kids who will actively contribute to society and pay taxes
I was thinking the same. Can I stop mine from paying for adults who don't contribute? ;)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Absolutely not, you cannot predict what a child will achieve and contribute in their lifetime, whilst we do not have children every child, young person and Adult should be given an opportunity, even those you may consider a waste of space will be contributing in some shape or form.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm with Plusnet they use the EE network, I've spoken to them they say they have no intention of introducing roaming charges at the moment. Will have to see how it goes.
I’m sure you are aware Plusnet is owned by BT who also own EE so it will be interesting to see what happens.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
My EE contact runs out on 2nd June, the new arrangements are for new contracts and contract renewals from 7th June onwards, so I will renew my contract before 7th. That will give me 24 months to see where things settle

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
This gives a better overview of the main networks

EE charging £2 per day OR £10 per Month - which is much more affordable in my view and gives the full contract data allowance, no mention of data capping at 25gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back