Passport stamp on leaving Schengen (1 Viewer)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
This may be of interest with regard to the 90 day rule and passports being stamped. I've just boarded ferry to UK from Santander, I gave my passport and was asked if I'm a resident of an EU country and answered yes, I was asked for my residency document as proof, otherwise my passport would have been stamped.

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
So are you using a British passport and were you asked at the British border control?
Yes Brit passport. Its the final control check as you board the ship, so Spanish I assume?

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
yes that is correct.What you should do is give them the residency document first to ensure that the passport is not stamped.
I had heard that and wasn't sure, but I was specifically asked the question when I handed over my passport. I'm assuming everyone else with British passports were asked the same. The boarding process certainly took longer than I remember it used to.

BTW, this new ship Galicia is amazing, I'm just having dinner, fantastic choice and my cabin is lovely, very happy 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ah ok, similar to Eurotunnel then when both border controls are at the departure port 👍
To my knowledge there is only spanish border officials. the only place you will find British on foreign soil, or french on uk soil, is at the ports & euro tunnel.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had heard that and wasn't sure, but I was specifically asked the question when I handed over my passport. I'm assuming everyone else with British passports were asked the same. The boarding process certainly took longer than I remember it used to.

BTW, this new ship Galicia is amazing, I'm just having dinner, fantastic choice and my cabin is lovely, very happy 😊
Thought the ship was rubbish compared to Pont Aven..Spanish customs stamp your passport before you leave the port..BUSBY.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
To my knowledge there is only spanish border officials. the only place you will find British on foreign soil, or french on uk soil, is at the ports & euro tunnel.
I'm confused now, I thought they were leaving the UK? UK border control won't stamp their passports will they?

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I'm confused now, I thought they were leaving the UK? UK border control won't stamp their passports will they?
No I'm travelling to the UK from Spain. So, unless you're an EU resident, your passport would be stamped as you leave Schengen, so you can't come back into Schengen if you've already had your 90 days in 180. I don't think the UK stamp passports, they wouldn't need to if you're British would they? The 90 day rule is a Schengen rule, nothing to do with UK.....afaik!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
No I'm travelling to the UK from Spain. So, unless you're an EU resident, your passport would be stamped as you leave Schengen, so you can't come back into Schengen if you've already had your 90 days in 180. I don't think the UK stamp passports, they wouldn't need to if you're British would they? The 90 day rule is a Schengen rule, nothing to do with UK.....afaik!
Sorry I misread your original post, I understand now 👍

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

May I ask why / what you think is amazing ?.

I have rebooked 5 of our future crossing so as to avoid it.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
It seems to be pure pot luck as to wether your passport is stamped or not, mine wasn't.
Have started to note dates in writing in the passport to avoid falling foul of the 90 day rule.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It seems to be pure pot luck as to wether your passport is stamped or not, mine wasn't.
Have started to note dates in writing in the passport to avoid falling foul of the 90 day rule.
Scanned yes.....a physical stamp might not have been put into a passport, but a scanned record could be in the system....

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What's going to happen, something you know that could be of importance to everyone...????
people aree going to get confused. The Op was asked if they were resident of an EU country and they answered yes, and their passport wasn't stamped. As it was a British passport surely it should havebeen .

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
people aree going to get confused. The Op was asked if they were resident of an EU country and they answered yes, and their passport wasn't stamped. As it was a British passport surely it should havebeen .
No, British citizens with EU residency. Our Spanish resident Brit friends do not get their passports stamped.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Here’s a point !. If you don’t have enough pages in your passport, what happens then ?.

Non COVID times, I made approximately 18 return trips to Europe per year.

Thats 360 stamps !

Some of my pals fill a large PP every 13-14 months (pre Covid) so it's just a case of keeping an eye on things I suppose.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can't believe that in today's world were relying on rubber stamps like I played post offices with as a kid!!. There must be electronic checks as well otherwise what happens when you get a new passport. Maybe the stamps are just to remind the passport owner.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I can't believe that in today's world were relying on rubber stamps like I played post offices with as a kid!!. There must be electronic checks as well otherwise what happens when you get a new passport. Maybe the stamps are just to remind the passport owner.
Maybe its to remind the holder of when / where they have been?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Nope..I have a UK Passport, because I am British....I am a EU resident...living in Spain, my passport will not be stamped...
I can come to the UK and stay for up to 180 days...as per the Withdrawal agreement...and my current conditions of residencia in Spain...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
May I ask why / what you think is amazing ?.

I have rebooked 5 of our future crossing so as to avoid it.

Of course, just my opinion, I've only travelled on the Finistere before. This ship is so obviously new and shiny, the choice of food for the included dinner last night was fantastic, I had 5 huge shell on prawns with smoked salmon to start, then a pork steak in a tasty sauce with dauphinoise potatoes and charred green pepper and a fig I think relish, chocolate gateau to finish, it was all delicious. Wine was very reasonably priced. My cabin (just the cheapest inside one) is spotless, plenty of bathroom space, very hot powerful shower, decent size tv with live British channels, and the bed was really comfy. Good selection for breakfast this morning, included with fare, except if you want full English you pay but it was less than £6, and it looked good. Love the duty free shop, staff all helpful and polite, nothing not to like for me. I view the crossing as a necessary evil so maybe my expectations are not extremely high, as long as its clean and does what I need it to do, I'm happy. Can't find any fault so far. Oh and the free WiFi works fine, I'm sat in the lounge posting this now (y)

OP
OP
Twogirls

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
EuroTrotters I see from your review your evening meal was self service..? Last night it was like being in a posh restaurant, full waiter service at your table, I'm not sure why your experience was different?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back