bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All going well we will be collecting our new MH in late June. Its on the fiat chassis with the new 9 speed Fiat automatic gearbox. Ive only ever driven an automatic twice, and that was a few years ago. Bit nervous to be honest. Apart from keeping my left foot well out of the way is there anything extra i should be thinking about?

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
My new to me van has a comfotmatic gear box, its 6 speed auto and i can switch it to manual mode. I use it in auto mode 99% of the time. I love it, its much easier to drive. I love it so much I am never going back to manual. Hope you love yours to. good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
All going well we will be collecting our new MH in late June. Its on the fiat chassis with the new 9 speed Fiat automatic gearbox. Ive only ever driven an automatic twice, and that was a few years ago. Bit nervous to be honest. Apart from keeping my left foot well out of the way is there anything extra i should be thinking about?
Use the gears like a manual on downhill stretches if you have the ability to do so... don’t rely on brakes alone to keep your speed / momentum in check

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have driven automatics since the 1970s as my wife only has an auto license.
From torque converters through DSGs and pre select... And even the variomatic volvo / Daff.

Our van is manual sadly.

For the first few trips stick the left foot out of the way and drive as if you are on cruise control you will love it after a very short time.
The new 9 speed is supposed to be very good.
You are likely to have a hill decent mode for very steep down hills.
Other than that let it do its job.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You should have 2 magic switches which means you should never have to worry about changing gear - except for reverse that is. 1. Hill climb - will get you up almost anything without having to worry. 2. Decent button - again brilliant takes you down the steepest of gradients at 5- 15mph. Some use the uphill button for extra power all the time - I don’t personally. Very happy with my box as it were!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
After never driving a proper auto before, I had a car with an 8 speed box a couple of years ago. Any idea of doing all the shifting myself with the paddles went out the window in the first 20 minutes. Once you get more than 6 speeds, it's just too much work.

Driving an auto is easy. Stop and go. Even manoeuvring isn't hard, just take it slow to begin with. Only thing to remember is if you suddenly floor it, it'll take a second to downshift. While it's shifting (which is pretty quick to be fair) do not keep adding more and more throttle in an panic to get away because it'll just keep switching further and further down the box and in the meantime, you'll not be going anywhere.

Oh, and it takes forever to lose the muscle memory of stamping the carpet with your left foot when you stop.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We have recently changed to an automatic car (MH is manual) and I had some initial anxiety after once having problems with a hire car. But it has been very straightforward once you remember to forget your left foot!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Grew up and travelled through life never wanting an automatic gearbox.

Now reached a certain age where Mrs mikebeaches and I wouldn't consider anything other than an auto - cars and van.

By the way, I use my left foot all the time - for braking! Took a while to get into it, but now completely second nature. The fact I have a dodgy right knee that doesn't care for constant braking on Alpine roads etc perhaps influenced the change in behaviour. From a driving perspective, it has its advantages. Absolutely no need for hill-holder, and enables very fast braking reaction time.

Enjoy your new auto van - the 9-speed torque converter sounds great, although not complaining about our comfortmatic semi-auto. (y)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Our next van will have the same 9 speed auto gearbox. I too have driven one before but only a car & a long time ago.
My only concern at the moment is will I be able to control the climbing to the top of the levelling blocks no longer being able to control the clutch and brake at the same time. I’ve seen people shoot over the top on occasions & did wonder if it was due to an auto box. Any experienced auto box drivers out there care to give some guidance

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our next van will have the same 9 speed auto gearbox. I too have driven one before but only a car & a long time ago.
My only concern at the moment is will I be able to control the climbing to the top of the levelling blocks no longer being able to control the clutch and brake at the same time. I’ve seen people shoot over the top on occasions & did wonder if it was due to an auto box. Any experienced auto box drivers out there care to give some guidance
I owned a car with an automated manual that's similar to the Comfortmatic. That was a pain for manoeuvring on steep hills, bumping up kerbs, etc. Even after using it for a couple of years as a daily, I had far more control with a clutch.

But the 8-speed true (torque convertor) automatic I had in the next car, which is similar to the new Fiat 9 speed, was a dream in comparison. Some things were easier than a manual clutch easier because no roll-back.

If I was buying a new van now, I'd definitely pay the £4k premium to get the 9-speed over a manual. I'm not sure I'd pay any premium for a Comfortmatic.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Many years ago I had a proper auto with a torque converter.

Used to drive it two footed 😉😊

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Grew up and travelled through life never wanting an automatic gearbox.

Now reached a certain age where Mrs mikebeaches and I wouldn't consider anything other than an auto - cars and van.

By the way, I use my left foot all the time - for braking! Took a while to get into it, but now completely second nature. The fact I have a dodgy right knee that doesn't care for constant braking on Alpine roads etc perhaps influenced the change in behaviour. From a driving perspective, it has its advantages. Absolutely no need for hill-holder, and enables very fast braking reaction time.

Enjoy your new auto van - the 9-speed torque converter sounds great, although not complaining about our comfortmatic semi-auto. (y)

i h
also use my left foot but i did not want to have to get the "Popcorn out"! ;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Enough accelerator to achieve climbing power, keep right foot steady then control forward motion with the handbrake.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
As my youngest son said; dad with auto change of gears, auto windscreen wipers, auto dip headlights, auto temperature, cruise control, lane control, distance control to the car in front, auto braking, voice activated directions what else is there for you to do?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Van and car are both Autos wife’s car is manual and that will be replaced with an auto when the time comes!
As for climbing the ramps without clutch you soon get used to it just go very gentle on the accelerator!

on the older types of auto you could use both feet to control creep and the like. now they have these damn electronics that cuts off the power the second you breath on the brake pedal...... :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
s there anything extra i should be thinking about?
Like others I always brake left footed.
With my autos I've never had a problem going up ramps when working on them.
I guess my clutch claw will be redundant then
My self made one goes over the clutch but locks the brake pedal as well so it might be able to be used?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Its easy just bend your. Left foot under your right knee and do not brake trying to change gear ! It does work within 30 mins its easy problem arises when forgetting to change gear/ brake in a manual

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Tucking the left leg under the right 1 is exactly what I tell people when I do a handover over of a new car to someone who hasn't driven an do it before it's makes you think a bit more because your not in a normal driving position but after your first trip you will want to sell your manual car and buy an auto

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No problem at all climbing the ramps with an auto-box, even the comfortmatic.

Find I still have more than enough control. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like others I always brake left footed.
With my autos I've never had a problem going up ramps when working on them.
That's one thing that pees me off with my Comfomatic can't left foot brake as it has the standard manual brake pedal so really awkward with left foot. If you do left foot brake going onto ramps and you still have your foot on the throttle the engine cuts out.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I drive a 7G-Tronic Mercedes Sprinter all day. Auto lights, auto wipers, cruise control Parktronic, the lot.

My car is a Range Rover. That’s got everything you can think of. 8 speed auto, blind spot assist, cameras everywhere.

I drove one of the old girls today. Our 23 year olds Toyota previa. Twin air con, fridge , twin sunroofs. But I have to switch the lights on myself, the wipers on myself. But it is auto with cruise control.

I gave up on fancy motorhomes and now drive an old Fiat Hymer. I just wish it had an automatic gearbox 🤷‍♂️

CoolOne

Free Member
Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
2020 T-Line 590
We have the 9 speed auto and this is the 1st time in 40 + years driving, that we opted for an autobox, so glad we did, but I wouldn't have chosen the auto option if they still fitted the Comfortmatic robobox.

It makes driving so much more relaxed and once you get past having no clutch pedal and as in our case, the hand brake being on the right hand side, it has been great. The only thing we had a problem with, was not taking the hand brake off fully, which is easily done, it won't pull away properly, just crawls along and the alarms sounds. We originally thought there was a fault before we realised our rookie error, so this is the main thing to watch out for.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get used to driving with left foot for the foot brake, but thats just me.

A great feature of this autobox is the kickdown, which helps when driving uphill at slower speed (I tend to drive with some mechanical sympathy and don't clog it), it can sometimes seem like the MH is struggling, but just a quick stab on the pedal and the gearbox drops a gear or two and the speed soon picks up, this can also be useful when on the motorway.

It also has 3 modes, eco, normal and power, these can be selected with the press of a button....

So for us, any trepidation that we had when we first started driving with the auto was soon gone and feel like never wanting to go back to a manual gearbox, hill starts, holding steady at junctions, smoothness of gear changes (don't notice it changing mostly), really easy to drive up onto levelers, just some of the benefits, and apart from the extra ££ it is well worth getting.

Enjoy, you'll love it...

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That's one thing that pees me off with my Comfomatic can't left foot brake as it has the standard manual brake pedal so really awkward with left foot. If you do left foot brake going onto ramps and you still have your foot on the throttle the engine cuts out.
I have to park within an inch of my front window and it’s slightly uphill, what I do (and do same when going on ramps) is ratchet my handbrake half on to stop roll back and not enough so I can power forward.
Other than that, I love my 3.0L/comfortmatic combo, to me it’s just like driving the old caterpillar 771 dump truck at work😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back