Driving an automatic (1 Viewer)

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
By the way, I use my left foot all the time - for braking! Took a while to get into it, but now completely second nature. The fact I have a dodgy right knee that doesn't care for constant braking on Alpine roads etc perhaps influenced the change in behaviour. From a driving perspective, it has its advantages. Absolutely no need for hill-holder, and enables very fast braking reaction time.
Don't try left foot braking with the ZF9 box. It has a brake sensor/throttle sensor interlock that cuts power to idle for 15-20 secs after it detects simultaneous sensor inputs during which time pressing the accelerator is totally ineffective. It makes it difficult as you arrive at a roundabout, have no drive, cause a roadblock and haven't a clue why there's no throttle response.
Colin.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't try left foot braking with the ZF9 box. It has a brake sensor/throttle sensor interlock that cuts power to idle for 15-20 secs after it detects simultaneous sensor inputs during which time pressing the accelerator is totally ineffective. It makes it difficult as you arrive at a roundabout, have no drive, cause a roadblock and haven't a clue why there's no throttle response.
Colin.
Interesting, I've got a Jag XE with a ZF8 auto box, but fortunately no such problem.

And our automatic Citroen Aircross simply has a message come up on the media screen asking me to stop braking and accelerating simultaneously... ;)

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
Interesting, I've got a Jag XE with a ZF8 auto box, but fortunately no such problem.

And our automatic Citroen Aircross simply has a message come up on the media screen asking me to stop braking and accelerating at the same time... ;)
I currently have a BMW 440i with the ZF8 auto box, no issues with left foot braking and I've been "left foot braking" since 1981, it was quite a surprise to find this issue with the ZF9 in my new camper.

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I currently have a BMW 440i with the ZF8 auto box, no issues with left foot braking and I've been "left foot braking" since 1981, it was quite a surprise to find this issue with the ZF9 in my new camper.

Colin
Until this issue has just been raised, I'd been thinking I rather fancied a new van with the ZF9 torque converter gearbox. Our current one has just had it's 5th birthday and has the comfortmatic box.

So, as a left-foot braker, do you find the new gearbox and associated electronics spoil the experience / set up?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Until this issue has just been raised, I'd been thinking I rather fancied a new van with the ZF9 torque converter gearbox. Our current one has just had it's 5th birthday and has the comfortmatic box.

So, as a left-foot braker, do you find the new gearbox and associated electronics spoil the experience / set up?
The Comfomatic is even worse, if you brake with your right foot still on the gas the engine cuts out.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Have driven automatics since the 1970s as my wife only has an auto license.
From torque converters through DSGs and pre select... And even the variomatic volvo / Daff.

Our van is manual sadly.

For the first few trips stick the left foot out of the way and drive as if you are on cruise control you will love it after a very short time.
The new 9 speed is supposed to be very good.
You are likely to have a hill decent mode for very steep down hills.
Other than that let it do its job.
I understood that the Hill Descent feature is limited to about 15kmh [or 15mph]?

Steve

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The Comfomatic is even worse, if you brake with your right foot still on the gas the engine cuts out.
Interesting, I've not experienced that with our comfortmatic-equipped van and also no problem going up the ramps either. :unsure:

As mentioned, I know I'm guilty of occasionally having feet on both pedals simultaneously, because the Citroen Aircross comes up with a warning message on the media screen. ;) For example, if climbing a very steep and twisty single track mountain road - need the power on to get up the hill, but at the same time left foot hovering over the brake, unsure what's round the next hairpin. Similarly, going down the same kind of hill. Can happen pulling up at, and then away at roundabouts too...

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021

Not at all. It's just a question of being aware of which vehicle you're driving and adapting accordingly.
The ZF9 is a huge improvement compared to the Comfortmatic (which I also have in another Fiat) , it's a real pleasure to drive it. If you can, take a test drive, you'll have a big grin on your face afterwards and ask why they didn't introduce the ZF9 earlier.
Cheers
Colin

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Not at all. It's just a question of being aware of which vehicle you're driving and adapting accordingly.
The ZF9 is a huge improvement compared to the Comfortmatic (which I also have in another Fiat) , it's a real pleasure to drive it. If you can, take a test drive, you'll have a big grin on your face afterwards and ask why they didn't introduce the ZF9 earlier.
Cheers
Colin
Thanks Colin! That's very reassuring to hear! (y)
Cheers, Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting, I've not experienced that with our comfortmatic-equipped van and also no problem going up the ramps either. :unsure:

As mentioned, I know I'm guilty of occasionally having feet on both pedals simultaneously, because the Citroen Aircross comes up with a warning message on the media screen. ;) For example, if climbing a very steep and twisty single track mountain road - need the power on to get up the hill, but at the same time left foot hovering over the brake, unsure what's round the next hairpin. Similarly, going down the same kind of hill. Can happen pulling up at, and then away at roundabouts too...
Don't think it happened on our 2014 one but does on this one (2017) also if you open the drivers door it selects neutral.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
All going well we will be collecting our new MH in late June. Its on the fiat chassis with the new 9 speed Fiat automatic gearbox. Ive only ever driven an automatic twice, and that was a few years ago. Bit nervous to be honest. Apart from keeping my left foot well out of the way is there anything extra i should be thinking about?
Place some Velcro on the bottom of your left shoe that should help to stop you automatically dipping the clutch.....don’t worry if you do it only tends to be a one time thing 😁

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
I understood that the Hill Descent feature is limited to about 15kmh [or 15mph]?

Steve
Hi Steve, the manual shows 25kph/15mph but if my ZF9 equipped van is typical then the hill descent feature isn't present on the automatics. There's no button on the dash to activate that feature.
Cheers
Colin

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hi Steve, the manual shows 25kph/15mph but if my ZF9 equipped van is typical then the hill descent feature isn't present on the automatics. There's no button on the dash to activate that feature.
Cheers
Colin
Thanks, Colin. I remembered 15, but couldn't remember whether it was kph or mph! I was responding to Phil D's comment about Descent control as an addition to the brakes on descents, so wanted to point out the low speeds you would need to be driving at to use Hill Descent! More suited to leaving a sloping pitch, perhaps?

After 10 weeks of m/home ownership and 700 miles covered, I haven't done anything with the Hill Descent Control, other than polish it when I clean the dashboard! :oops:

Steve

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Cheers
Colin
Mine (2017 ComfortMatic) does have the hill descent button on the dash. Never used it, because I have yet to drive down a 1 in 3 campsite road!

Seriously though, on normal roads the ComfortMatic dispenses with any need for left foot braking or a hill descent feature. In hilly country just push the small "Up" button and on the downhill bits the gearbox ECU makes all the engine braking decisions, even though sometimes it can sound like the engine might be over-revving it isn't, and the foot brake gets an easier life.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Place some Velcro on the bottom of your left shoe that should help to stop you automatically dipping the clutch.....don’t worry if you do it only tends to be a one time thing 😁
That's my advice to hirers when I hand a car over. Well at least to imagine it. Most of them who have never driven an auto before tell me their next car will be an auto.

Many years ago I was a car salesman and a Kiwi came in with no right leg, amputated at mid thigh. He asked if we had any large autos. I had a Peugeot 504 estate available so he asked if he could test drive it but admitted he had never driven an auto before let alone driving since the amputation. My colleagues thought I was barmy going out with him but he was fine and bought the car 🤗

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
My new 9 speed automatic with 140 engine is great. As smooth as my BMW 3 series. Well worth the extra cash.

The only odd thing that I have not had in previous automatics is it has some engine braking in some situations as you slow down it holds a low gear for a little while. I’ve only done 800 miles in it so far so not sure if this is normal.

had no problem going up ramps or my sloping drive but mine seems to have hill start assist on it.
Daniel.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think it happened on our 2014 one but does on this one (2017) also if you open the drivers door it selects neutral.
Ah, our comfortmatic is a 2016, so perhaps they changed the associated electronics on the newer model? :unsure:

Oh and I'm sure I can drive with the driver's door open too... Often do it when I'm parking up tight at home.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Use the gears like a manual on downhill stretches if you have the ability to do so... don’t rely on brakes alone to keep your speed / momentum in check
I do that from the steering wheel in the car on downhill stretches when we have had heavy snow.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
don't quite understand the left foot braking - why? Just use the right foot and leave the left foot when parked up and walking.
Quite agree, why would you want to left foot brake? Both my cars are autos and both hold on quite steep slopes with no braking so plenty of time to move my foot across to the accelerator and pull away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back