We finally made it ... we're in Wales!!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yay ... we've finally got away on holiday to Wales! :Grin:

We set off after lunch yesterday and got to where we thought would be a nice night stop just near Frodsham but unfortunately being Sunday it was rammed with the cars of those going for a tootle on the many walks in the area, didn't think of that! :doh: After waiting around for a bit we decided to go to the next one on our list about a hour further towards Wales, a nice old church with a small parking area at the end of a single-track road. The entrance to the road a brick pillar either side, although the gate that obviously went across them had been removed many, many years ago. It wasn't particularly tight but turning into it off the main road with it on our left wasn't ideal due to the road itself not being overly wide despite it being two-way however our sat nav knew this so directed us further along the main road to turn round then we could approach it from the opposite side to the entrance to get a bigger swing/angle. The road looked deceptively narrow however we didn't have any difficulty so I think a standard width MH would get down it okay too so long as it wasn't over 3m high - you just need to watch out for the lambs! On either side there were fields with sheep and lots of lovely lambs frolicking around, some of the little s*ds though had been able to find ways out and were happily trotting along the road, I got out and managed to persuade them to go into another field further on with no gate where there were other sheep so we were able to drive passed safely to the parking area which was at the very end of the road.

We were literally surrounded by sheep in the fields around us, loads of them, a couple of thousand I should think all in all, it was lovely to see them but of course we had to ensure that we kept the dogs on leads, not that they'd do anything anyway as they've seen sheep before and after a glance usually ignore them but our Lily is quite nosy and sometimes likes to say 'hello' to just about anything with 4 legs! We settled in and after a potter round the church yard and reading about it's history, we had tea did a bit of planning etc then to bed early as we're not used to travelling! Then it started ... baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa, baaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA ... yup, we heard a bit of baaaaaaaing during the night which wasn't a major issue and for me certainly no worse than hubby's snoring, however there was one sheep that must have been smoking 20 ciggies a day so her baaaa was deep, raspy and LOUD! Of course after she'd wandered over to have a shuftie at us she decided to stay at the end of the field near where we were. :rolleyes: Overall though we had a good night's kip but awoke to a bit of rain.

Today we travelled along to Betys Coed and stopped to take some photos of the water fall near the bridge trying to avoid the rain showers, then through Snowdonia on a lovely scenic road which we hadn't done before and ended up at Caernarfon, not in the main town though, instead we veered left and we went down a minor single-track road on the opposite side of the river to the castle that led to the foreshore looking over the Menai Straits towards Anglesey and with the castle immediately across the river from us. There's a park next to us with all sorts of activities and areas to wander round so the dogs enjoyed a walk in it and then a play on the foreshore beach and after lunch we all went for a nice potter into Caernarfon across a footbridge a minute's walk away, couldn't ask for easier access! It is yonks since we've been to Caernarfon so it was nice to see it again and have a wander down it's pretty streets, the castle walls, harbour etc, dodging the rain showers and enjoying the sunshine, the dogs enjoyed it too sniffing at stuff all over the place.

We needed a new road map and got one in WH Smiths which allowed dogs in, unusual but nice as we could both look at the maps on offer and choose one. We got a bit wet returning to the camper though and once the rain cleared and we'd had a nice hot chocolate drink we had a last walk round the park before settling down for a relaxing couple of hours just chilling. It was tiring but enjoyable and I definitely need to build my strength back up as climbing up some steps really showed how much weaker my legs are than usual, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Anyway lights are just starting to come on at the castle so I might take some photos later as long as it's not too cold and/or raining - it's also very windy so I don't want to get blown away either (although some funsters would probably wish I would šŸ˜ ).

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We've just come back from Anglesey. Really enjoyable 10 days. Some sunshine, some rain but consistently very windy.
6 hour drive back to Cambs today with a lot of wind blowing the van around.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello there so you changed your plans and didnt go to scotland ? Wales is so beautifull too, hope you have a lovely time, weve had an unsettled day here in donny,lashing with rain one minute ,then sunshine, i hope it stays fine for you , cheers pampam
No we didn't make it to Scotland, we had every intention but I wasn't really well enough just before we were due to go (2nd May) so I went to the Dr and we put it off and decided on Wales instead as less travelling to see things once there and also less distance to get there/back in case I'm not too well again. We'll still do Scotland, probably June/July instead when we can spend 3-4 weeks instead of the 2 we have now as we need to be back home by 23rd May due to other things that week which we can't put off including our car MOT & service, my blood tests appointment, and our 2nd covid jabs which obviously we don't want to miss. For our first trip in 15 months 2 weeks is a good start especially since we need to re-educate ourselves on where everything is in our MH and how it all works! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Enjoy Mel, how long is the trip planned for?
Thanks - it's just 2 weeks due to other commitments (see above).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've just come back from Anglesey. Really enjoyable 10 days. Some sunshine, some rain but consistently very windy.
You could've taken the wind with you :LOL:... very blowy here, showers and sunshine though and our new waterproof jackets (which we forgot we had as they had been stuck in one of the wardrobes a couple of year ago) have proven to be very good! šŸ˜

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
You could've taken the wind with you :LOL:... very blowy here, showers and sunshine though and our new waterproof jackets (which we forgot we had as they had been stuck in one of the wardrobes a couple of year ago) have proven to be very good! šŸ˜
You want to think yourself lucky if youv got showers most sites facilities are still closed

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We stayed at CAMC sites near Stafford then moved on to Chirk just in to Wales. Drove through Snowdonia to get to Anglesey and through snow and hail showers in Snowdonia. Amazing countryside. Enjoy.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are heading into Wales after the topsham rally. Hugging the coast before pooping out at the top of Wales at the end of june. So keep posting so I can glean advive. šŸ‘šŸ˜ƒ

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Lol we had the noisy sheep all round the van in Wales! They can be really loud. We also had curious lambs trying to eat various bits of the motorhome in particular the AstroTurf step šŸ˜‚

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
50F65C95-BCCE-4F3A-BD29-66DD9DB4A9B2.jpeg

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Weā€™re also favouring wales to Scotland, seems everyone wants to do the nc500, maybe that one next year, hope your enjoying wales Minxy Girl .

Mickey.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We were in Anglesey last week! Itā€™s a beautiful place with amazing beaches but boy, did it rain and it was cold and windy,

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gorgeous morning here with hot sunshine, gonna stay another day and have a potter and chill out day again. šŸ˜Ž

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Yay ... we've finally got away on holiday to Wales! :Grin:

We set off after lunch yesterday and got to where we thought would be a nice night stop just near Frodsham but unfortunately being Sunday it was rammed with the cars of those going for a tootle on the many walks in the area, didn't think of that! :doh: After waiting around for a bit we decided to go to the next one on our list about a hour further towards Wales, a nice old church with a small parking area at the end of a single-track road. The entrance to the road a brick pillar either side, although the gate that obviously went across them had been removed many, many years ago. It wasn't particularly tight but turning into it off the main road with it on our left wasn't ideal due to the road itself not being overly wide despite it being two-way however our sat nav knew this so directed us further along the main road to turn round then we could approach it from the opposite side to the entrance to get a bigger swing/angle. The road looked deceptively narrow however we didn't have any difficulty so I think a standard width MH would get down it okay too so long as it wasn't over 3m high - you just need to watch out for the lambs! On either side there were fields with sheep and lots of lovely lambs frolicking around, some of the little s*ds though had been able to find ways out and were happily trotting along the road, I got out and managed to persuade them to go into another field further on with no gate where there were other sheep so we were able to drive passed safely to the parking area which was at the very end of the road.

We were literally surrounded by sheep in the fields around us, loads of them, a couple of thousand I should think all in all, it was lovely to see them but of course we had to ensure that we kept the dogs on leads, not that they'd do anything anyway as they've seen sheep before and after a glance usually ignore them but our Lily is quite nosy and sometimes likes to say 'hello' to just about anything with 4 legs! We settled in and after a potter round the church yard and reading about it's history, we had tea did a bit of planning etc then to bed early as we're not used to travelling! Then it started ... baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa, baaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA ... yup, we heard a bit of baaaaaaaing during the night which wasn't a major issue and for me certainly no worse than hubby's snoring, however there was one sheep that must have been smoking 20 ciggies a day so her baaaa was deep, raspy and LOUD! Of course after she'd wandered over to have a shuftie at us she decided to stay at the end of the field near where we were. :rolleyes: Overall though we had a good night's kip but awoke to a bit of rain.

Today we travelled along to Betys Coed and stopped to take some photos of the water fall near the bridge trying to avoid the rain showers, then through Snowdonia on a lovely scenic road which we hadn't done before and ended up at Caernarfon, not in the main town though, instead we veered left and we went down a minor single-track road on the opposite side of the river to the castle that led to the foreshore looking over the Menai Straits towards Anglesey and with the castle immediately across the river from us. There's a park next to us with all sorts of activities and areas to wander round so the dogs enjoyed a walk in it and then a play on the foreshore beach and after lunch we all went for a nice potter into Caernarfon across a footbridge a minute's walk away, couldn't ask for easier access! It is yonks since we've been to Caernarfon so it was nice to see it again and have a wander down it's pretty streets, the castle walls, harbour etc, dodging the rain showers and enjoying the sunshine, the dogs enjoyed it too sniffing at stuff all over the place.

We needed a new road map and got one in WH Smiths which allowed dogs in, unusual but nice as we could both look at the maps on offer and choose one. We got a bit wet returning to the camper though and once the rain cleared and we'd had a nice hot chocolate drink we had a last walk round the park before settling down for a relaxing couple of hours just chilling. It was tiring but enjoyable and I definitely need to build my strength back up as climbing up some steps really showed how much weaker my legs are than usual, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Anyway lights are just starting to come on at the castle so I might take some photos later as long as it's not too cold and/or raining - it's also very windy so I don't want to get blown away either (although some funsters would probably wish I would šŸ˜ ).
Glad you arrived in Wales ok.
I've arrived a bit further south some showers yesterday but today looks better.
I found this fellar/dyn sitting on the fence in welcome.
IMG_20210510_185501.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just had a lovely sunset overlooking the Menai Straits from Caernarfon towards Anglesey ...

Menai straits sunset.JPG

Byron

Free Member
Jul 12, 2020
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Coachbuilt
Hi
It was great to have a chat this morning to you and your husband. We are off for an extensive full day tour around Anglesey tomorrow including Plas Newydd , Beaumaris and a couple of fab beaches. Enjoy your trip in God's country.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The below is a photo of the church we stopped by on Sunday night and Caernarfon just across from the castle:

church.jpg

caernarfon.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi
It was great to have a chat this morning to you and your husband. We are off for an extensive full day tour around Anglesey tomorrow including Plas Newydd , Beaumaris and a couple of fab beaches. Enjoy your trip in God's country.
Same here, enjoyed our natter. :giggle: We've been to Plas Newydd and Beaumaris and enjoyed them a lot, just double check they're gonna be open when you intend to go and if so whether you need to pre-book tickets.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Glad your enjoying Wales Mel.
I am really wanting to go down there and catch up with a few friends, I do miss it, trouble is I would miss Scotland if I went back.
Fortunately Robert loves Wales too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back