LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Storing the same amount to Sapper520 even the cadac plus a nespresso machine.
20210130_133730.jpg

20210130_133707.jpg

All over head storage empty along with wardrobe and drawers beneath

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Funnily enough me and hubby had same conversation, that when we do purchase another mhome it will be a pvc i was telling him about an ih on ebay for £39,000 with a rearlounge,our last van was a tag axle arapaho, but i think a pvc would suit us now ,... the ih was lovely

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Can you can get a longitudinal bed in a 6m van? I love the longitudinal beds in our Campscout.
<Broken link removed> in Shrewsbury have a 2nd hand 6m Malibu for sale with longitudinal beds. Loads of pics on their advert for reference.

Reactions: f6c
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I think I will always have a soft spot for the old transit Auto-Sleepers. I don't know whether it's because the fabrics they used remind me of my Nan (bless her heart) or whether it was just the clever use of space. Sadly, no LHD :(

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
What about a Carthago Compact Line, only a tiny bit larger than a PVC with the luxury of an A Class plus a big garage.
Funny you should mention them...just filled up the car with diesel and there was one pulling out of the forecourt. Lovely looking thing it was!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Funny you should mention them...just filled up the car with diesel and there was one pulling out of the forecourt. Lovely looking thing it was!
Not cheap but if we downsize in 2 or 3 years it's probably what we will go for. I don't think I could live with a van without a garage.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
What about a Carthago Compact Line, only a tiny bit larger than a PVC with the luxury of an A Class plus a big garage.
Definitely need uprating to 4250.
The photos with the scooter in the garage will not be on the 3500 light chassis.
Lovely looking but starting price of 77k there's better out there.
Lenny HB
What do these go for in Germany just for research purposes 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Definitely need uprating to 4250.
The photos with the scooter in the garage will not be on the 3500 light chassis.
Lovely looking but starting price of 77k there's better out there.
Lenny HB
What do these go for in Germany just for research purposes 🤔
Not much discouts on Carthago's about 10% so not the saving buying abroad you get with Hymers.
They are just about runnable at 3500 (without a scooter) but 4250 is the sensible option.
You are not going to get one for 77k that's a base price, you don't buy German vans in base spec., 90 - 100k more realistic.

You say there is better out there, I'm not aware of anything similar it is the smallest A Class, no competition.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Was thinking this tbh but last time we considered it was just shy of 70k
<Broken link removed>
2yrs on 10k dearer 😲
Lenny HB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
<Broken link removed>
2yrs on 10k dearer 😲
Lenny HB
That's full width 2.35m Compact Line is 2.12m also no comparison when it comes to quality.
The only one that gets near on size is the Hymer Exsis at 2.21m which is the same as our Dynamic Line.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
That's full width 2.35m Compact Line is 2.12m also no comparison when it comes to quality.
The only one that gets near on size is the Hymer Exsis at 2.21m which is the same as our Dynamic Line.
Tbh didn't really look at the spec 😁
They all look the same now 🤣🤣🤣

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We did look at the carthago Malibu a class a while back but have always said if we were to have an A class it would have to be Hymer 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We did look at the carthago Malibu a class a while back but have always said if we were to have an A class it would have to be Hymer 👍
The problem with the Malibu A Class is by the time you have speced them to a decent level you might as well buy a C Tourer.
We are on our 3rd Hymer doubt if will get another one want something decent next time. Hymers are OK if you buy at the right price but nothing special, I wouldn't pay silly UK prices for them.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
The problem with the Malibu A Class is by the time you have speced them to a decent level you might as well buy a C Tourer.
We are on our 3rd Hymer doubt if will get another one want something decent next time. Hymers are OK if you buy at the right price but nothing special, I wouldn't pay silly UK prices for them.
That's why we didn't go for the malibu.
After we ticked a few options it looked an expensive budget a class 👍

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
<Broken link removed>
2yrs on 10k dearer 😲
Lenny HB

Mobilvetta shouldn't be aloud to build these on the light chassis; plus the Marquis advert doesn't exactly help any punter with its quoted '450kg payload figure' on a registered weight of 3.65T.

Not much of that 450kg payload figure will be usable once you add the extra dealer equipment and a slight variation due to the fluctuation in the materials being used.

.....add a passenger and you'll have no payload for your food, water, clothes, dog or passengers etc.

You'll need one on a heavy chassis for sure.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Greetings from another Murvi owner! Are you in the Murvi Owners' Club? They're a civilised gang but will probably be accused of lacking taste from now on as I've just become editor of the newsletter..
Haha, Yes part of the gang - just yet to meet any of the gang as a result of this pesky virus. Look forward to your first curated newsletter!

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
If you get one with a transverse fixed bed you will not need any storage for things like mattress toppers and the space under the bed will take most things. If you buy one with both waste and freshwater tanks underneath and an underslung gas tank you will have more storage as well.
I did my own so I have some vertical storage at the back but most converters don’t seem to do this.
View attachment 480110
Vertical storage in our Sprinter comes in handy too!

Attachments

• 20190422_173435.jpg
    20190422_173435.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 44

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve gone full circle. Had a VW T5 camper, bought a 7.5m motorhome, then bought another 7.5m and now back to a VW California. The advantages of mobility and using it daily outweighed the loss of space and storage for us. Not for everyone I know, it’s just a different way to live that suits us at this time. We can still visit all the same places and many new ones but we’ve got more freedom to move on and park it almost anywhere now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a similar quandary when we originally changed from a 6m x 2.3m coachbuilt to a PVC, it took a long time to decide to do it but it was the best thing we did as it has certainly made a heck of a difference to our enjoyment when on holiday. The one we changed to was a 6m one which worked well but then we had 6.36m ones which were better. The three PVCs we've had are: Autocruise Accent @ 6m, Globecar Familyscout @ 6.36m and a Globecar Campscout @ 6.36m.

The accent was good and we enjoyed it for quite a while but we changed to get a bit more room and easier access to stuff under the rear bed as it was difficult in the Accent due to the rear being a lounge/bed arrangement, although we only used it as a bed, so every time we wanted to get something out it was a nuisance trying to lift the ends of the bed, lift the flap and then try to delve into the storage area. With the Familyscout @ 6.36m and having a 'proper' fixed bed we had none of this fiasco, it also had a larger front L shaped lounge (they don't make them now). We liked it but found we didn't use the extra lounge space as much as we thought we would as the side seat wasn't really deep enough and, as with the Accent, getting into the transverse bed wasn't easy for me especially as I slept on the far side so had to master a 'flip' to get over hubby and getting out was a real chore as I had to clamber over the 'man mountain' without falling off the bed in the process.

We eventually changed it for a Campscout with rear single beds, much easier to get in/out of as there were proper steps leading up to them. This worked well but we detested the 12v fridge with a vengeance and hubby wanted a 3-ring hob, and there were other things too so we changed it for a Carthago C-Compactline i-138 auto, the smallest one available at 2.12m wide and 6.41m long, so only slightly larger than the Globecars, its a whole different world though, underfloor storage, fully winterised, and much more space internally despite being virtually the same layout as the Familscout we had previously. It has a transverse bed at the rear however because we have the drop down bed at the front we don't have a problem as I use the rear one and hubby uses the front one ... you can't beat having a nice big bed to yourself! :LOL: He snores a lot so his being at the other end the noise is less so it now means I don't get so disturbed either (previously I had to constantly 'bash' him to wake him up to stop, then he wondered why he had bruises in a morning!).

We have had a 2 month holiday in winter 2019/20 in the Carthago (we bought it in October 2019), using it in Spain/France and it was great, much more relaxing to 'live' in and driving was just as good as the PVCs - it was a LOT more money but is by far the best we've had and as Lenny HB says although you can get the Hymer Exsis models IMV they don't come close to the same the quality for a similar price. You don't have to pay silly money for Carthagos though if you can buy ones that are in stock already. We got a very good deal on ours which was a stock/demo model and although it's on the light chassis we put on rear semi-air suspension (£2,000) and it was uprated by the dealer so we have enough capacity for our needs with spare for stuff we may acquire when away (not unheard of!). If there'd been the 4250kg one already available we may have gone for that instead but they are quite rare so that would mean a factory order at full price and a long wait.

Oh ... hubby was ecstatic ... he got his wish or a 3-ring hob and 3-way fridge and the 'billy bonus' was an automatic which he'd wanted for a long time and absolutely loves!

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thanks again everyone it is so helpful to read all this and as soon as we can, we will take a look at some in the flesh as it were. Sadly, don't think we can run to a Carthago Minxygirl unless we saw one second hand but I will enjoy looking!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back