Would we manage with a pvc? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
talk to Consort Motorhomes. They design and build but are long term PVC travellers.
v. Approachable
Good advice, nice company Consort to deal with at reasonable cost.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I was just thinking, some people manage to camp with a motorbike and a couple of panniers for luggage space. Which makes a pvc pure luxury accommodation. Our is a 5.4 metre PVC Motorhome and in reality is plenty big enough you can always wish for more space but as most things in life it’s a compromise we can park it on our drive or go away in winter 🥶 (it is winterised).

Although we didn’t camp, we’ve just switched from motorcycle touring to a PVC.

We’re keeping our bikes of course, but three weeks touring on motorcycles sharpens your packing skills. We’ve got empty cupboards and compartments in our PVC, and see no reason for filling them. (y)

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
We want to change our van and my husband would like to go down the route of a PVC as he feels it will be more comfortable to drive/park/get to places. He would like it to be a max of 6m but I am a bit worried about storage - will there still be room for outside chairs, Cadac, mat and a mattress topper alongside bedding? How do others manage? I think we can cut down on clothes etc quite easily. The only other thing is that we usually buy various things like tins of confit duck, wine etc as we go because we have room to store. I expect we could just wait and buy before crossing back to UK (once restrictions allow).
It would be good to hear your thoughts. As soon as restrictions ease, we plan to visit some dealers to have a look and try and visualise how it could work. In the meantime, I'm passing the time looking online and at threads like smallest van!
talk to Consort Motorhomes. They design and build but are long term PVC travellers.
v. Approachable
Good advice, contact Consort, can recommend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
26 years on and off
We changed from a 6 m long, 2.3 m wide coachbuilt to a 6.4 m, 2.05 m wide pvc with longitudinal fixed full size single beds (which can be converted to a giant double). Layout provides easy nocturnal access to the bathroom. ;)

Loads of storage and much easier and more relaxing to drive, even though the pvc is about a foot longer than previous van. It's the narrower width that counts. :giggle: We carry sun loungers and loads of other camping paraphernalia in the garage at the back. :giggle:

Added bonus, much more 'planted' on the road at speed, so particularly handy for long distance faster motorway cruising if required. (y)
What van is this please?

Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Nobody can give you a correct answer, as it is down to how YOU want it. Good thing to get ideas though.
I had a Rapido V55 van for five years. Lovely to drive, space ok, but as always one has to consider what to bring. Wanted one less than 6 meters, as I travel to the continent a lot, then the ferry ticket is more reasonable.
Have now changed to a Hymer, still under 6 meters, as I found the Rapido was not insulated enough for winter camping. Good luck

Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
We have a Hillside Hopton. Just under 6m. Great van, we love it. Plenty of underseat and overhead storage space, and can use the rear space between seats (we often take two bikes inside). Lovely bathroom and kitchen. The Hopton is built on a VW Crafter van, which is often referred to as best in class. Our second Hillside conversion, our 1st on a T5 that we had for 6 years. Hillside have a stand at most Motorhome shows. Worth checking out to see if it might suit. Not many sub 6m vans have beds longer Than 6ft, the Hopton does. Only for 2 people though, which suits us. Good Hillside owners group on Facebook too.

Tomotto

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
Wingamm Oasi 540
Exp
35 years
We upgraded from an Autosleeper Harmony to a Wingamm Oasi 540. It is a monocoque construction and very well insulated. Wingamm is an Italian company mainly making caravans, but they have the Oasi range on Fiat Ducato and other bases, plus others. They have a good website with a virtual video tour. It drives and parks like a car. The build specification is very high quality and there is a surprising amount of space. The real advantage for us is that the full size double bed is in the ceiling and lowers down to about chest height on clever hinges like hydraulics. You make the bed up at the start of your trip, lift it with the pillows, bedding, etc., into the ceiling, drive off and just lower it and climb in at night. Permanent bed but no loss of space “downstairs.”There is a ladder to get up, but my wife prefers hoisting herself up from the rear seat. (Hard to explain but obvious when you see it.) I awake before my wife, climb down and can sit comfortably under the bed and read, write, log on, etc., without disturbing her. I can also access the fridge and cooker. The configuration also allows for a double bed below for when we can no longer hoist ourselves up. Theoretically, it is a four berth, but we have never tried that. There is a good size washroom, large external locker at the rear, external gas locker, and small side locker for things like collapsing chairs in bags, tools, etc. We love it.

Last edited:

Shevaun

Free Member
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying soon .looking
Exp
Yes. We have 6.3m with longitudinal beds. There’s a huge garage under beds - folding table, 3 chairs, bbq, awning, tools, etc etc. We don’t take loads of clothes but do take 3 bikes, helmets etc and walking boots as well as shoes. Good luck and enjoy!
Hi. Sounds interesting.. is it a conversion ?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi. Sounds interesting.. is it a conversion ?
It is a Globecar Campscout with a Busbiker bike rack on the back. The one compromise is the lounging. We use the captain’s seats which are comfy - other folk lounge on the beds but I’ve not done that yet. For our next van we may see if we can get a 2 berth without the dinette and something more comfortable up front.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Hillside Hopton. Just under 6m. Great van, we love it. Plenty of underseat and overhead storage space, and can use the rear space between seats (we often take two bikes inside). Lovely bathroom and kitchen. The Hopton is built on a VW Crafter van, which is often referred to as best in class. Our second Hillside conversion, our 1st on a T5 that we had for 6 years. Hillside have a stand at most Motorhome shows. Worth checking out to see if it might suit. Not many sub 6m vans have beds longer Than 6ft, the Hopton does. Only for 2 people though, which suits us. Good Hillside owners group on Facebook too.
Yes I’ve looked at the Hopton it looks a great layout and perfect with the rear U shaped lounge I rang Hillside for more details but they haven’t got back at the minute.

Is the rear area good if one person is 6 foot 3 inch?

My main queries to Hillside were concerning the insulation and winterisation aspect. The fresh and waste are underslung and neither is insulated or heated. I asked if they could fit double skinned tanks and run a pipe from the heater down to them as opposed to the 12 volt heaters which use a lot if power if not in EHU.

Is the shower area adequate to turn around I realise it won’t be big as long as adequate.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
I
Thanks again everyone it is so helpful to read all this and as soon as we can, we will take a look at some in the flesh as it were. Sadly, don't think we can run to a Carthago Minxygirl unless we saw one second hand but I will enjoy looking!
Yes I’ve looked at the Hopton it looks a great layout and perfect with the rear U shaped lounge I rang Hillside for more details but they haven’t got back at the minute.

Is the rear area good if one person is 6 foot 3 inch?

My main queries to Hillside were concerning the insulation and winterisation aspect. The fresh and waste are underslung and neither is insulated or heated. I asked if they could fit double skinned tanks and run a pipe from the heater down to them as opposed to the 12 volt heaters which use a lot if power if not in EHU.

Is the shower area adequate to turn around I realise it won’t be big as long as adequate.
What you must remember is there is no perfect motorhome or PVC out there it’s all about compromise. We have a VW Crafter 6m long the main thing for us is to be able to travel on C roads and be able to use as a car and easy to park and can go off site and explore/shopping, With a little thought it will fit into a super market parking space where possible with the small overhang at the back over a kerb or grass. Regarding storage space you are limited to the minimum, the inside width is a compromise on PVC, however, for us it’s not so much for both of us are petite in size for we can just pass each other when in side. My advice is go and view some PVC. good luck.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I

What you must remember is there is no perfect motorhome or PVC out there it’s all about compromise. We have a VW Crafter 6m long the main thing for us is to be able to travel on C roads and be able to use as a car and easy to park and can go off site and explore/shopping, With a little thought it will fit into a super market parking space where possible with the small overhang at the back over a kerb or grass. Regarding storage space you are limited to the minimum, the inside width is a compromise on PVC, however, for us it’s not so much for both of us are petite in size for we can just pass each other when in side. My advice is go and view some PVC. good luck.
Yes I said it just needs to be adequate the main questions are winterisation which can be built in to any van regardless of size.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not heard of them before, mind you I've not been particularly looking for PVCs anyway. They have put a lot of thought into them and if I was in the market for a PVC I'd certainly be considering them.

Broken Link Removed

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Yes I said it just needs to be adequate the main questions are winterisation which can be built in to any van regardless of size.
Go for a grade three insulation which is the highest for winter use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We upgraded from an Autosleeper Harmony to a Wingamm Oasi 540.
Very similar to the original Hymer Exsis campers (not the A-classes) and a good use of space if you are able to clamber into the upper bed.

Part of the same groups as Globecar are the Vario PVC range which are similar to the above and they start at a length of 4.965m!

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Our Hymer Compact C408. It is 2.05m wide x6m with a big opening rear end. Worktops and storage under a drop down bed at the rear. All facilities with a dinette at the front with seating for 5 at the table. No problem fitting bikes in the rear or even a rigid double kayak for travelling, though it does need to be taken out to use the living space. Best of both worlds?

Attachments

• 5B723A31-3167-4D0B-B2EB-9BAF7E46AD36.jpeg
    5B723A31-3167-4D0B-B2EB-9BAF7E46AD36.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • FF6C2158-476E-40D2-9328-557B0BD34EC0.jpeg
    FF6C2158-476E-40D2-9328-557B0BD34EC0.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 30

camion

Free Member
May 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Furgoneta
Not always a necessity to give up use of rear barn doors on a PVC if desiring to
take a motorbike/scooter. The leading door leaf gives enough access and egress space.
A couple of pics give an idea of how I got round the problem. The extending arms are each carried on roller 4 roller bearings, which means the loaded rack can be easily pushed back and forth, but I installed a threaded rod with 12v motor to make it even easier and act as a restrain particularly on slopes.

Attachments

• mbike rack 023 (1).JPG
    mbike rack 023 (1).JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 25
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Depends which 6m van you choose. All a compromise. Microwave, full size oven, lovely large skylight, etc. are nice but take up storage space and reduce aisle width. So many decisions! Check out the You Tube video for the Fifer Touring L. Good luck with your search!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We want to change our van and my husband would like to go down the route of a PVC as he feels it will be more comfortable to drive/park/get to places. He would like it to be a max of 6m but I am a bit worried about storage - will there still be room for outside chairs, Cadac, mat and a mattress topper alongside bedding? How do others manage? I think we can cut down on clothes etc quite easily. The only other thing is that we usually buy various things like tins of confit duck, wine etc as we go because we have room to store. I expect we could just wait and buy before crossing back to UK (once restrictions allow).
It would be good to hear your thoughts. As soon as restrictions ease, we plan to visit some dealers to have a look and try and visualise how it could work. In the meantime, I'm passing the time looking online and at threads like smallest van!
Get one each - total flexibility without comprise

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Knaus do a 6 metre van with longitudinal beds
Looking at it, (and others mentioned), they appear to have stolen what I would consider essential space from other areas like the toilet/shower so it's a pretty big compromise but if you definitely can't cope with a horizontal bed and probably use campsite facilities for showering it's probably OK. We like to be totally self contained and so 6.3m with longitudinal beds and a better shower/loo space was a must.
PS Why do most manufacturers insist on trying to fit a hanging locker? We never take any clothes that need to be hung, so ours is a booze and food locker. We have a large 3 way fridge but one of the Globecars we looked at had a smaller 12v fridge and a hanging locker underneath. Never saw the sense in that.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Looking at it, (and others mentioned), they appear to have stolen what I would consider essential space from other areas like the toilet/shower so it's a pretty big compromise but if you definitely can't cope with a horizontal bed and probably use campsite facilities for showering it's probably OK. We like to be totally self contained and so 6.3m with longitudinal beds and a better shower/loo space was a must.
PS Why do most manufacturers insist on trying to fit a hanging locker? We never take any clothes that need to be hung, so ours is a booze and food locker. We have a large 3 way fridge but one of the Globecars we looked at had a smaller 12v fridge and a hanging locker underneath. Never saw the sense in that.
Agree but it’s easy enough to shelf for booze and food 😉. I’ve not done many mods but that was one. Never take hanging clothes and certainly don’t need that much space for clothes!

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
That's one of the reasons why we bought our campscout, it seemed to me to be very well equipped, 133l fridge, which i have just swapped for a compressor version, oven, there are plenty of lockers for clothes without the need for hanging, i am toying with the idea of a underslung lpg tank, that would free up the gas locker for other things.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Although we didn’t camp, we’ve just switched from motorcycle touring to a PVC.

We’re keeping our bikes of course, but three weeks touring on motorcycles sharpens your packing skills. We’ve got empty cupboards and compartments in our PVC, and see no reason for filling them. (y)
Maybe everyone should be ‘trained’ this way it is remarkable how little space and ‘stuff’ is actually needed. We went to Japan for 3 weeks a while back when we arrived the customs official asked where our bags were as we only had overhead locker bags with us. My wife is very good at having few clothes but those she takes look fab and just swaps tops and bottoms around so it looks like a different set most days. I think it’s just a state of mind really.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would not buy a PVC without a small hanging wardrobe. Ours has space for 6 hangers which keeps SWMBO happy. Underneath there is a 90 litre fridge.

Depends on your preferences/priorities. We chose not to have an oven/grill fitted, which means we still have plenty of storage (including food storage) in kitchen drawers. Folding boxes live under the bed for extra food and bottles. Even in a 5.4m van we have yet to use up all the storage available, so the wardrobe retains its purpose for hanging clothes. Rapido has put clever double height lockers in the bed area, which is ample for our other clothes. What is the alternative when you need to bring your waterproof jacket (remember, this is the UK)? I don't want to roll mine up and stuff it into a locker.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Maybe everyone should be ‘trained’ this way it is remarkable how little space and ‘stuff’ is actually needed. We went to Japan for 3 weeks a while back when we arrived the customs official asked where our bags were as we only had overhead locker bags with us. My wife is very good at having few clothes but those she takes look fab and just swaps tops and bottoms around so it looks like a different set most days. I think it’s just a state of mind really.
Same with my better half, and all clothes that don’t need ironing. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would not buy a PVC without a small hanging wardrobe. Ours has space for 6 hangers which keeps SWMBO happy. Underneath there is a 90 litre fridge.

Depends on your preferences/priorities. We chose not to have an oven/grill fitted, which means we still have plenty of storage (including food storage) in kitchen drawers. Folding boxes live under the bed for extra food and bottles. Even in a 5.4m van we have yet to use up all the storage available, so the wardrobe retains its purpose for hanging clothes. Rapido has put clever double height lockers in the bed area, which is ample for our other clothes. What is the alternative when you need to bring your waterproof jacket (remember, this is the UK)? I don't want to roll mine up and stuff it into a locker.
I think you have the Rapid V43 which doesn't appear to be available now, but Carado do a very similar version:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think you have the Rapid V43 which doesn't appear to be available now, but Carado do a very similar version:

That 5.4m Carado lacks a wardrobe, has less locker storage space, and lacks other kit that is standard on my V43. A 5.4m PVC is difficult to get right. Adria didn't get it right and no longer make one. There are more conversion compromises needed than in a 6m van.

V43 was deleted from the Rapido Van range, but lives on in the same layout (with a standard pop-up roof) now branded the Dreamer D43 Up, probably aimed at younger buyers than me. I tend to think that the traditional Rapido finishes in mine have more clarse. :gum:

Made in the same factory. https://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d43-up-red-addict.php

Wildax is also owned by Rapido with layouts more focussed on the UK market. Westfalia also now a Rapido Group company. All kinds of PVC now under the same umbrella.

[Edited because my brain cell is malfunctioning today]

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back