Would we manage with a pvc? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We want to change our van and my husband would like to go down the route of a PVC as he feels it will be more comfortable to drive/park/get to places. He would like it to be a max of 6m but I am a bit worried about storage - will there still be room for outside chairs, Cadac, mat and a mattress topper alongside bedding? How do others manage? I think we can cut down on clothes etc quite easily. The only other thing is that we usually buy various things like tins of confit duck, wine etc as we go because we have room to store. I expect we could just wait and buy before crossing back to UK (once restrictions allow).
It would be good to hear your thoughts. As soon as restrictions ease, we plan to visit some dealers to have a look and try and visualise how it could work. In the meantime, I'm passing the time looking online and at threads like smallest van!

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've got a 6m pvc and it's perfect for us and found the change very easy as we up sized from an old VW camper!

But, we think it works for us as we got a rear lounge ih conversion, that doesn't have the two travel seats and dinning table at the front, so that gives us more rear space, bedding all goes under the side sofa's and then boot gets the awning, chairs, bbq etc but you do have to think about packing and I certainly don't think I'd even get a cadac in there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have a 30' RV and decided we wanted to downsize, so to try it out we bought a 6.3m autocruise pvc, it's different of that's there's no doubt. So far for us it's so much better to drive and park, we can get to places now we couldn't before and unlike the RV we can both drive it, fuel consumption is also far less.
Storage isn't a problem as it all goes under the bed, two recliners, two beach chairs, Cadac, electric cable, waste pipe etc. The biggest problem I have is no bookcase.
I think we will keep it and sell the RV but no decision has yet been made.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes. We have 6.3m with longitudinal beds. There’s a huge garage under beds - folding table, 3 chairs, bbq, awning, tools, etc etc. We don’t take loads of clothes but do take 3 bikes, helmets etc and walking boots as well as shoes. Good luck and enjoy!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've got a 6m pvc and it's perfect for us and found the change very easy as we up sized from an old VW camper!

But, we think it works for us as we got a rear lounge ih conversion, that doesn't have the two travel seats and dinning table at the front, so that gives us more rear space, bedding all goes under the side sofa's and then boot gets the awning, chairs, bbq etc but you do have to think about packing and I certainly don't think I'd even get a cadac in there!
We also upsized to IH rear lounge from a VW - so loads of space! We keep our bedding in upper cupboards and 2 chairs under side bed and even 2 bromptons under rear of bed. Without the bikes, we could take lots of things - our golf clubs one year to Spain! We do buy things on our travels and find lots of hidey holes around the van in floor lockers and corner cupboards. We usually leave major wine purchase until last minute shop though and fill the under bed storage moving the outside chairs and stools just to the gangway for the last leg home. I know some people travel with outside chairs in the washroom but we like to keep that clear for ad hoc use.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We want to change our van and my husband would like to go down the route of a PVC as he feels it will be more comfortable to drive/park/get to places. He would like it to be a max of 6m but I am a bit worried about storage - will there still be room for outside chairs, Cadac, mat and a mattress topper alongside bedding? How do others manage? I think we can cut down on clothes etc quite easily. The only other thing is that we usually buy various things like tins of confit duck, wine etc as we go because we have room to store. I expect we could just wait and buy before crossing back to UK (once restrictions allow).
It would be good to hear your thoughts. As soon as restrictions ease, we plan to visit some dealers to have a look and try and visualise how it could work. In the meantime, I'm passing the time looking online and at threads like smallest van!
Ours is 5.4 metres the table is in the rear door and chairs behind the other but in front of the gas locker, we do not need a mattress topper as the mattresses are memory foam and on the froli sping system which apart from allowing the mattress to breath are very comfy. We carry two boxes in the ‘garage’ and last year due to Covid purchased a Dometic freezer which allowed us to be fully independent of shops for two weeks at a time.

I think it’s a mind set really we have never travelled with suitcases unless we are skiing so quite minimalist in what we carry. Even when ⛺️ camping we use a small 2 man tent

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Downsized from an A Class Frankia to a Murvi PVC.

As has been said, whatever space you have you will fill!! We have no regrets and the manoeuvrability and driving experience is far better.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you get one with a transverse fixed bed you will not need any storage for things like mattress toppers and the space under the bed will take most things. If you buy one with both waste and freshwater tanks underneath and an underslung gas tank you will have more storage as well.
I did my own so I have some vertical storage at the back but most converters don’t seem to do this.
40F4D079-6BDA-4FA5-B0A6-739BE0BD9D0D.jpeg

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Downsized as others have said, from an A class 7.8m to a globecar campscout 6.3m, i was worried about storage etc, but i have found that our globecar has swallowed all the stuff from the A class easily, there's not as much living room in the globecar true, but that is more than made up for by the ease of driving, parking, etc, we just adapted our lounging to the huge bed, rather than the lounge itself.
To be honest there is as much storage room in our pvc as there was in the A class, just about.
As i have mentioned the pvc bed is bigger than the A class by some tune.
Each to their own, but i have not regretted the move as yet and don't think we will, if we are allowed we will spend 5-6 weeks touring europe this year in it without hesitation.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have an IH630RD like Riverbankannie and the Ushaped lounge gives you a huge amount of underbed storage with easy access from the inside and the rear. We’ve both got the rear double doors I believe although you can pay extra for a fixed panel and it doesn’t interfere with access. It’s our second and we only changed it because we wanted an automatic.

Vantage and Consort ( designed by Scott Nayler who used to own Vantage!) are very similar but not quite as fancy as an IH. Consort just come in white but at the moment they are quite a few thousand pounds cheaper than both Vantage and IH for similar spec.

Aftersales at IH are very good, it used to be Carole but John who has taken over after Carole retired is marvellous.

They do a 600RD, you lose a small cupboard up at the front , what Nick calls his “man cave”, the top one has electrical stuff in it and then a handy little worktop bit with a useful cupboard underneath.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you get one with a transverse fixed bed you will not need any storage for things like mattress toppers and the space under the bed will take most things. If you buy one with both waste and freshwater tanks underneath and an underslung gas tank you will have more storage as well.
Mine is a WildAx Aurora Fixed Bed and has all the above... masses of storage...

Bed.jpg

...but of course you do lose lounging space, but I can pull down the dinette seat and make a sofa, I'm also happy to use the swivel cab seats, or even slob on the bed with the fabulous views through the open barn doors.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thanks for all the info - a great help. I think the fixed bed at rear may be a good plan. We usually use our van in Europe so spend a lot of time outside. This year, Cornwall and Scotland so that may be different! I just retired this year and the original plan pre covid was for a lot of traveling ...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for all the info - a great help. I think the fixed bed at rear may be a good plan. We usually use our van in Europe so spend a lot of time outside. This year, Cornwall and Scotland so that may be different! I just retired this year and the original plan pre covid was for a lot of traveling ...
I think Langtoftlad travels on his own so transverse bed not an issue, but I know that not only would the bed not be long enough for us, but also we could not cope with both having to get up when the one on the outside needs a wee!
Think carefully about how you would use it.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Hmm yes getting up for wee might be problematic! I can slip out from the inside of our current French bed v easily. Transverse might be trickier - so many things to think about.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
For the sake of 37cm, I’d go for the longer option and have the proper longitudinal beds rather than the transverse option not only for a little bit more storage underneath but the fact the beds are generally longer. This is important if one (or both) are tall as it’s a bit annoying having your feet or head touching the bulkheads or having to sleep at a weird angle. I’m 6’1” and I couldn’t sleep comfortably in the transverse option due to touching the sides.

One word of caution though, the longitudinal beds can be different lengths in order to accommodate a decent sized bathroom.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Our current van is only 6.22 long and 2.21 wide so some of the PCvs are longer. Husband is keen for it to be a better driving experience so would just switching to a new or newer van give this? Ours is 2002 and a bit decrepit now, though much loved by me!

Deleted User
Plenty of storage in our Hymer Grand Canyon S.
Roof cupboards all round plus under bed storage.
We are a family of four and have enough space and storage for our needs, regularly carry paddle boards, BBQ, windbreak, fire pit etc.
Vehicle is just under 6m and not to wide which makes driving easy.
Side pods fitted to side of body enables transverse bed, no problem for me as I'm 6ft.
Biggest compromise on our PVC is the smaller bathroom.
20201005_120433.jpg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Can you can get a longitudinal bed in a 6m van? I love the longitudinal beds in our Campscout.

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Kim and I had a small Campervan hire business which Convid put an end to. We are not sorry as I am 66 so ready to take it easier. We had 3 Possl/Globecar’s and a Benivan - made in Grimsby. Again compromise comes to the for. The German Possl were well made with rear beds which could be dismantled if necessary. Plenty of storage under the bed.
The Benivan had all ‘the bells and whistles’ but storage at a minimum. I do not know where we would be able to store a lounger. Saying that, we took her to Spain for 8 weeks over last Christmas. We just loved the way you could open the rear doors and large side door letting nature in.
Good luck on your decision.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Can you can get a longitudinal bed in a 6m van? I love the longitudinal beds in our Campscout.
Yes, there are one or two - the Globecar Globestar 600 L is an example:

The Dreamer (budget Rapido) D58 is another one only 6 m long, but no longer available new:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our current van is only 6.22 long and 2.21 wide so some of the PCvs are longer. Husband is keen for it to be a better driving experience so would just switching to a new or newer van give this? Ours is 2002 and a bit decrepit now, though much loved by me!
We changed from a 6 m long, 2.3 m wide coachbuilt to a 6.4 m, 2.05 m wide pvc with longitudinal fixed full size single beds (which can be converted to a giant double). Layout provides easy nocturnal access to the bathroom. ;)

Loads of storage and much easier and more relaxing to drive, even though the pvc is about a foot longer than previous van. It's the narrower width that counts. :giggle: We carry sun loungers and loads of other camping paraphernalia in the garage at the back. :giggle:

Added bonus, much more 'planted' on the road at speed, so particularly handy for long distance faster motorway cruising if required. (y)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had a 6m PVC for three years and loved it.

However with a large dog, (German Shepard/Border Collie X), it felt too small.

We didn’t want to go back to larger motorhomes again so we switched to a 6m Compact Coachbuilt. We like the extra space, (width), but find that although we have more storage space, much of it is in the “garage”.

It seems that you need to carefully consider how much “immediately accessible “ storage you need compared to “reserve”.

Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Good luck.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Funny it’s a conversation we have been having in this lock down, down sizing the house and van to reduce costs etc
We have just completed this not just for cost though.
From 3 bed semi to 2 bed apartment.
From bailey 75-2 to Warwick xl.
Absolutely no regrets just need to use the Warwick now..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Downsized from an A Class Frankia to a Murvi PVC.

As has been said, whatever space you have you will fill!! We have no regrets and the manoeuvrability and driving experience is far better.
Greetings from another Murvi owner! Are you in the Murvi Owners' Club? They're a civilised gang but will probably be accused of lacking taste from now on as I've just become editor of the newsletter.. :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We went from a Tag Frankia to a Globecar Campscout Revolution. After 4 years we still think we have a lot more benefits than compromises and dont think there is anything we miss out on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back