Being parked at the side of a road and alcohol (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Last year I predominantly used camp sites, but I'm planning on doing a bit more off-grid in the campervan this year. I started thinking about being parked up somewhere and PC Plod raps on the window, spots a glass of wine in your hand and the whole world of being drunk in charge of a vehicle comes into play. After a bit of googling, the basic advice of never starting the engine, keep the keys out the ignition, don't sit in the drivers seat if it's in the forward position. All common sense suggestions and ones I'll always adhere to.

Has anyone ever had any altercations with the boys in blue whilst parked up, or do they tend to leave you alone when they see your blinds are closed and you're not bothering anyone?

Thanks,

Arron.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
And just to add, there have been 3 ex Police Officers with many decades of experience on here stating that the “don’t take the p@ss“ rule applies here. In the highly unlikely event a copper does find them selves at a loose end and decides to wreak vengence on that scourge of society the Motorhomer, I suggest don’t get falling down drunk, be courteous and all will be well.
Unless they come out with the old chestnut of "I can smell cannabis " then it doesn't matter how polite you are, they're on a mission.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
My pick up, my motorhome, my motorbike and my wife’s car are all parked either in my garage or outside my house now. I’ve had three pints of beer. So well over the limit. Nobody else is in charge of these vehicles, just me. Can I be charged with being drunk in charge? If not why not? How is me being in charge of my vehicles here any different than being in charge of them in a lay-by?
I don't tend to like these online advice on legal points but as each point is referenced with a court judgment I thought it may be useful.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My pick up, my motorhome, my motorbike and my wife’s car are all parked either in my garage or outside my house now. I’ve had three pints of beer. So well over the limit. Nobody else is in charge of these vehicles, just me.

Can I be charged with being drunk in charge?
No.

If not why not?
Because "in charge" means not only that you are in proximity to the vehicle whilst possessing the keys, but that there is a reasonable suspicion that you intend to drive the vehicle.

How is me being in charge of my vehicles here any different than being in charge of them in a lay-by?
It is not different. Neither is an offence if you are able to prove that you had no intention of driving them. (Actually the garaged car is in a genuinely private place and you can't be guilty of being in-charge of that regardless of intent. You can even legally drive it within the garage, although this is not recommended if you value its structural integrity.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
'Don't let the grass grow under your feet; smoke it instead ...' :rolleyes: 😂(y)

Steve
I dont smoke, period, so it would be interesting? Perhaps if you were in the process of knocking up a vegan meal it could be mistaken for the smell of a spliff? That's plant based isn't it?

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I dont smoke, period, so it would be interesting? Perhaps if you were in the process of knocking up a vegan meal it could be mistaken for the smell of a spliff? That's plant based isn't it?
I have no idea, Pauly. Elaine and I neither drink nor smoke and we've been banned from the M&S Beige Trousers & Cardigans Support Group because we're too boring, even for them ...

Steve

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Unless they come out with the old chestnut of "I can smell cannabis " then it doesn't matter how polite you are, they're on a mission.
Not so sure....I always much preferred people spaced out on week rather than pissed.....never violent and in love with the world. The drunk just want a fight!

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Now I do not intend to be abusive to anyone on here as it's against the forum rules, but those ex county force officers from the country side, what do they know, apart from knowing sheep rustling laws.
Anyone one remember the I've Met The Stickers.
Hendon trained early 80's
We never had many motorhomes in central London but I've never seen it reported anywhere, legit motorhomer being arrested for DIC . I have known several colleagues arrested DIC in there own cars.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Now I do not intend to be abusive to anyone on here as it's against the forum rules, but those ex county force officers from the country side, what do they know, apart from knowing sheep rustling laws.
We never had many motorhomes in central London but I've never seen it reported anywhere, legit motorhomer being arrested for DIC . I have known several colleagues arrested DIC in there own cars.
Devon and Cornwall for 27 years...and there isn’t any sheep rustling....that’s a date night!😁

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
I can remember half a dozen cases in the Northern Peak District between 1980-1995. No knowledge of any incidents after that.
I also remember a knock at 2.30 in the morning in a Lake district Lay-bye in the early 80's when the family were all asleep after a late night drive up from the Midlands .The reason you are parked without lights in a Lay-bye Driver please move on!! So I did to the next Lay-bye in the next County.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia i7400 plus
I do indeed remember the "I've met the MET" stickers and remember intimately all the stuff, including TV's etc that the same MET officers nicked from their county cousins while on mutual aid in the miners strike !
I also remember many potential officers on my selection board who didn't meet the grade but were told in no uncertain terms "although you didn't score enough points to join here.....we'll send your papers to the MET, they'll have you there".
I too don't wish to cause offence but my experience of officers who police large metropolitan areas (not just London), do so in a very different way to those who work in more rural locations.
Regards, Rob.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2019
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680 A Cl
Exp
Since June 20
I do indeed remember the "I've met the MET" stickers and remember intimately all the stuff, including TV's etc that the same MET officers nicked from their county cousins while on mutual aid in the miners strike !
I also remember many potential officers on my selection board who didn't meet the grade but were told in no uncertain terms "although you didn't score enough points to join here.....we'll send your papers to the MET, they'll have you there".
I too don't wish to cause offence but my experience of officers who police large metropolitan areas (not just London), do so in a very different way to those who work in more rural locations.
Regards, Rob.
I well remember the I've met the Met stickers and the competition's to see who could stick them with photographic proof in the most obscure places or distances from London.
I was also one of those who failed to get in to a county Mounty force as I had no private school background. Advised to join the Met and reapply. After completing my probation period the last place I was going was to a county force. Think I probably gained more experience in a week of night duty walking beat 4 in Fulham than a year in Gloucestershire.
Don't ever recall dealing with any motorhomes but did have nick a few DICs. Last thing I would have been interested in is someone sleeping in their MH after having a few beers

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
That’s going off post now, 😁
I well remember the I've met the Met stickers and the competition's to see who could stick them with photographic proof in the most obscure places or distances from London.
I was also one of those who failed to get in to a county Mounty force as I had no private school background. Advised to join the Met and reapply. After completing my probation period the last place I was going was to a county force. Think I probably gained more experience in a week of night duty walking beat 4 in Fulham than a year in Gloucestershire.
Don't ever recall dealing with any motorhomes but did have nick a few DICs. Last thing I would have been interested in is someone sleeping in their MH after having a few beers
Now boys and girls let’s not have this thread reduced to ‘my force was better than yours’ show a solid front please!
🤩

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia i7400 plus
Now boys and girls let’s not have this thread reduced to ‘my force was better than yours’ show a solid front please!
Agreed........small bite on my behalf !

I think the truth is that no-one has ,or should have, anything to worry about re-DIC, unless they bring attention to themselves by doing something ridiculous and then behaving in the same vein if unfortunate enough to have an interaction with the police.

I have absolutely no knowledge of a MHer being dealt with for DIC. As for being asked to move locations, then the only time I can imagine this being a problem is if parked in a lay-by (other than in a 30mph limit) without parking lights....thats easily rectified....put your lights on.

Regards, Rob.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
On a wet, windy night, Scarlett Johansson, knocked on my door, please Westhamman its wet and windy can I come in I'm sorry but Mrs westhamman would be taking dog for a walk a long walk.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
A couple of weeks ago police were criticised by all and sundry after the after the vigil for that poor girl. The result of the investigation the Police did nothing wrong. The police were I presume called the church by a local resident, on entering the venue if they were concerned that breaches had occurred they are duty bound to act. There are often 2 sides to a newspaper story and be honest who would trust the catholic church. Not Catholics the church.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It's a grey area and obvious advice is not to drink.
but if your blinds were drawn and seats turned around I think you'd be unlucky to be pulled.
Police friends of mine say if you are on publicly accessible land (and this would include a pub car park) you are fair game.
I’ll admit it 😁 , We sometimes go to Ayr seafront for the night , we do the bars & an Indian when pubs shut , always a good night , I put the main keys in the garage , if the police asked me to move I would flatly refuse as that would be breaking the law
and if they thought you were unfit thorough drink so would they.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Perhaps not abusive but a pretty silly comment, Most County Force officers are certainly as good at what they do as Met officers, perhaps in some cases better. and I doubt they would make such a statement about people who belong to other forces. But then of course you are joking, aren't you.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
A couple of weeks ago police were criticised by all and sundry after the after the vigil for that poor girl. The result of the investigation the Police did nothing wrong. The police were I presume called the church by a local resident, on entering the venue if they were concerned that breaches had occurred they are duty bound to act. There are often 2 sides to a newspaper story and be honest who would trust the catholic church. Not Catholics the church.
It wasn't a dig at the Met, more just pointing out one should always expect the unexpected.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi all all very mind blowing stuff my answer especially using Britstops is to leave your keys with the pub Landlord as well as doing all the other things like blinds closed drivers seat turned and locked in reverse position

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back