Home Parking or Off-Site Secure (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Neighbouring owners who claimed the benefit of the covenants. I can’t say any of them related to caravans and motorhomes, more often about limiting development but I guess the principle is sound.

Just to get this straight, they requested it wasn’t parked there or filed for a court order.

Sorry to keep on just curious 😊

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who has been ordered by a court to move a leisure vehicle off a drive under a covenant?????

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just to get this straight, they requested it wasn’t parked there or filed for a court order.

Sorry to keep on just curious 😊
I was saying the matters I dealt with did not relate to caravans and motorhomes. Parking was not the subject of the covenants. The point I was trying to make is that restrictive covenants may be permanent and can be passed on, so it is best not to ignore them. None of the cases I dealt with resulted in Court Orders, they were all resolved by sensible discussion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Any covenants should be picked up as part of the searches, however, with something so critical to you, you would want to know this before instructing solicitors. You should first asked the sellers, then check with the council planning dept. They will know what restrictions were applied to the planning application.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was saying the matters I dealt with did not relate to caravans and motorhomes. Parking was not the subject of the covenants. The point I was trying to make is that restrictive covenants may be permanent and can be passed on, so it is best not to ignore them. None of the cases I dealt with resulted in Court Orders, they were all resolved by sensible discussion.

Ohh ok 👍

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You should first asked the sellers, then check with the council planning dept. They will know what restrictions were applied to the planning application.

Can Councils put restrictions in as covenants such as that.

Im intrigued.

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Very helpful and informative replies - thank you, everyone.

While we've been used to having the motorhome right outside the house here in Spain, we're leaning towards secure parking elsewhere back in the UK, for all the reasons mentioned above. However, if the right property comes up which allows us to park at home, that will be a bonus.

:)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a purpose built garage at the bottom of our garden heavy duty industrial roller shutter door alarmed and cc tv with movement detection. If I wanted to save money on insurance I could store it at my friends storage compound in the middle of nowhere no staff at night and it would be £70 a year cheaper. Sometime I wonder how insurance companies arrive at their prices

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have a great storage facility in Cheshire near Tarporley. £400 P.A. Double electric gates and 2 fences. Access 24 hours. No EHU. Water available over there if you want to wash your van.
Parking on drive we cannot as too short. We do have 3 cars abreast. Not sure on covenants.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We keep ours on the MIL's drive, when it was first there the guy next door tried to be awkward by saying it didn't give him room to come onto her drive to cut the hedge, so I told him I'd move it over 18' to give him room and if that didn't suit I'd cut his hedge back to the boundary line and stick a fence up.

Never heard a word since.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Can you tell me where this is please. Perhaps in a PM. We've had a bit of trouble with a neighbour re our van being parked on our drive. We live quite near Knaresborough so this might be a solution.
I was just thinking of you. Are the new neighbours being difficult too?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I was just thinking of you. Are the new neighbours being difficult too?
No they are really nice.
But then so was our previous neighbour for about eight years. When we first bought a van we were going to put it in storage but she said it wasn't a problem for her and she was ok with it on the drive, and she was for years and then one day she just changed her mind. So its good to have a back up plan.
Normally we're away most of the time anyway.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
No they are really nice.
But then so was our previous neighbour for about eight years. When we first bought a van we were going to put it in storage but she said it wasn't a problem for her and she was ok with it on the drive, and she was for years and then one day she just changed her mind. So its good to have a back up plan.
Normally we're away most of the time anyway.
What!!!!! a lady changing her mind, surely not :LOL:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Any covenants should be picked up as part of the searches, however, with something so critical to you, you would want to know this before instructing solicitors. You should first asked the sellers, then check with the council planning dept. They will know what restrictions were applied to the planning application.

I agree that it is best to find out about any restrictive covenants before you start incurring legal fees. You can get this information yourself from HM Land Registry for a small cost but you probably need some legal knowledge.

I would always assume that every house on an estate would have some restrictive covenants on its title, including one banning keeping a caravan on the property (which some say includes a MH although the point has not been decided in a reported Court case that I am aware of). Even though the original builder may no longer exist, any neighbour who hates the sight of the MH (and they do exist) can cause big problems.

I haven't come across any similar restrictions in Planning conditions. I think what tends to happen nowadays is that the developers also ban parking caravans or MHs on estate roads and common areas. That doesn't apply to my 1960s house, so if any neighbour kicks up a fuss about having my PVC on my drive, plan B would be to park it on the street directly in front of my house, and they can take their complaint and shove it where the sun don't shine.

You can ask your solicitors for advice on whether the covenant is still enforceable, and if so, by whom, but nowadays the level of person dealing with your purchase is likely to be an unqualified paralegal who would give you a basic: "Yeah, it probably does apply" advice, so good luck with that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The benefits of living in the country ay, we have three on our yard plus daughters caravan, never even crosses our mind where we are going to park anything, just drop it anywhere out of the road.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I think it mainly depends on how old the estate is. These restrictions are lost when the builder is no longer around to enforce it.
There has been some discussion of this recently on the site.

We keep ours on our drive during pockdown despite having a permanent pitch about twenty miles away for peace of mind. It’s quite discrete and the neighbours are totally fine with it.
After lockdown we will move ours back to site.
Have a look round the area and see who else does store on the drive.
When we moved we wanted to keep van on drive, but house we liked had a builder's covenant, prospective neighbour had a caravan and horsebox on drive, so we spoke with him and he said just ask LA to remove the covenant, all done during transaction no probs
Joe

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
house hunting at present no drive/parking no house I want it on the drive so that I can jump in a go without any hassle of having to go and collect to pack etc. Not only that paying for storage is not in my budget

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I agree that it is best to find out about any restrictive covenants before you start incurring legal fees. You can get this information yourself from HM Land Registry for a small cost but you probably need some legal knowledge.

I would always assume that every house on an estate would have some restrictive covenants on its title, including one banning keeping a caravan on the property (which some say includes a MH although the point has not been decided in a reported Court case that I am aware of). Even though the original builder may no longer exist, any neighbour who hates the sight of the MH (and they do exist) can cause big problems.

I haven't come across any similar restrictions in Planning conditions. I think what tends to happen nowadays is that the developers also ban parking caravans or MHs on estate roads and common areas. That doesn't apply to my 1960s house, so if any neighbour kicks up a fuss about having my PVC on my drive, plan B would be to park it on the street directly in front of my house, and they can take their complaint and shove it where the sun don't shine.

You can ask your solicitors for advice on whether the covenant is still enforceable, and if so, by whom, but nowadays the level of person dealing with your purchase is likely to be an unqualified paralegal who would give you a basic: "Yeah, it probably does apply" advice, so good luck with that.

SpeedyDux how true regarding who deals with purchases and sales.

The Daughter is just in the process now and her conveyancer leaves a lot to be desired.

Out of interest if someone brought an action against you due to breaking a covenant.
Who would be that someone 🤔

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
SpeedyDux how true regarding who deals with purchases and sales.

The Daughter is just in the process now and her conveyancer leaves a lot to be desired.

Out of interest if someone brought an action against you due to breaking a covenant.
Who would be that someone 🤔

There's 2 possibilities when it comes to having legal standing to enforce a restrictive covenant. Either way the claimant must prove they are entitled to the benefit of the covenant in relation to their land.

It could be the original covenantee landowner / builder or his/its successor in title. There are some people who buy what is left of the freehold land as an investment especially if part of the development has leasehold property built on it.

The second category could be any other houseowner on that estate if it is classed as a "building scheme" where all the properties have similar mutual covenants. Not necessarily a close neighbour.

The textbooks have whole chapters on this subject. It can't be summarised accurately, so bear that in mind.

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There's 2 possibilities when it comes to having legal standing to enforce a restrictive covenant. Either way the claimant must prove they are entitled to the benefit of the covenant in relation to their land.

It could be the original covenantee landowner / builder or his/its successor in title. There are some people who buy what is left of the freehold land as an investment especially if part of the development has leasehold property built on it.

The second category could be any other houseowner on that estate if it is classed as a "building scheme" where all the properties have similar mutual covenants. Not necessarily a close neighbour.

The textbooks have whole chapters on this subject. It can't be summarised accurately, so bear that in mind.

SpeedyDux many thanks for the reply.

That is more than adequate and as I thought it is down to a private action if someone wants to enforce a covenant.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
We always kept our motorhomes on drive ,then one day we came home from a trip to find a letter from local police stating that they knew we were away, which means ,other people knew too, the drive is a good size with room for half a dozen vehicles, but is on a main road in a village, so we decided to put it in storage, it wasnt as nice in storage but at least people didnt know we were away 😀

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are going the process of looking for a new house. We are looking at the pros and cons of storage. It’s on our drive at the moment snd it’s fine as we are tucked away. But finding a house that is perfect for the motorhome is hard. Also don’t like the idea of people noticing we are away. We have great neighbours at the moment and we all watch each other’s houses. But that trust takes time.

interesting thread will be looking at storage options I think.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There’s a lot of Moho’s around where we now live parked on the drives.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back