Fined after taking Chausson for hab check & service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I haven't read all the comments but I'm astonished that many seem to accept this massive loss of our freedoms for a mild disease that kills old people like me. I caught the 1957 'flu, the one that liked to kill children, and the 1968 'flu which killed the equivalent, in today's population, of 130,000 people of all ages. We didn't stop people travelling, working, schooling or fine and arrest ordinary people in their lawful daily life. This SARS-Cov-2 virus is not doing any real harm to the vast majority of our society and yet the vast majority comply with outrageous restrictions that are not dissimilar to the reviled communist USSR and China. This is the worst year for deaths since 2008 and what did we do then? Sweden has had the worst year since 2013, but their population is now older and larger so it's proportionally less, and they have not created a Police State. Why do people comply with this devastation of our Human Rights?
Words fail me when I read your post how can someone be so blinkered as to not see what is going on in the world. What about the human rights of all the people that have died and their families and friends left without them.

A loss of freedom for a time is nothing compared to loss of life.

Agatha

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Glen
Exp
10 years
It is sad that people are dying of covid, or suffering long term effects. However, it should not mean that the whole of society is shut down. Many many people are suffering terribly because of the restrictions. Are their lives worth less because they haven't got covid.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I don’t know who you’re insured with but can assure you my insurance company doesn’t even mention a habitation check. Do you have your house checked each year?
An MOT is a different thing altogether. MOT tests are a legal requirement for the vehicle to be on a public road so under current restrictions are allowed.
Having said all that. We cannot use our motorhomes for their intended use at the moment so unless it is on a public road there is no need to have anything done to it. Some people are just trying to find ways to push the limits of what we are allowed to do.
If it’s not on the road leave it alone until we can get some freedom again. It really is that simple.
I think it is more about the general condition in insurance policies including house insurance to maintain the insured property. A water damage claim can be rejected if it is caused by a leaky roof that is down to the insured's failure to maintain. I doubt that Hab services are specifically mentioned, at least not in my policy, but might be implied under that general condition although that is a stretch of interpretation.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Oh dear my apologies for my mistake tenmen. I obviously didn’t read your post properly! However, the particular couple who your post is referring to were definitely not being sensible or responsible! There is no way in the grand scheme of things they could possibly justify their reason for being on the road or claim it to be “essential travel”. I’m pretty easy going and don’t normally judge people’s actions but something like this I’m afraid winds me up as I fear some people just don’t think of anyone but themselves!
Once again my apologies for misreading your post and thinking you and your wife were the culprits!!! x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
This was a habitation service not an MOT. 70 mile journey to dealer! I’m sure 10 tenmen is a reasonable guy but really. Why do many in out nation feel that we don’t have to comply with the Covid lockdown rules and look for nebulous ways of failing to comply. Essential travel is in the description. Essential! As to the comment the Police should catching criminals. Grow up Frogijock.
Lol read the first post, it was copied from another Chausson post as in it wasn’t 10tenmen lol 😂

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
It's quite funny how people read posts and interpret them in their own way.

The first line of the OP states that it's not his vehicle but that he has copied the text from another forum!
Which is why I’ve asked the OP for a link to the original post.... Not got it yet!

Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie!
I spoke with our Dealer about this as our van is due its habitation check soon.. they had the police round checking why the garage-side was open and what work was being done. They assured me that the police were happy with the garage/servicing area being open as long as the 'dealership' (selling) side of the business was closed. Which seems to go against the majority view here? How can it be legal that they can be open for servicing etc, but we're not allowed to go there?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Wow you do have a vivid imagination. Do all those things happen to you on a regular basis?
You are typical of the people I mentioned, always looking for a way to push the boundaries of the current restrictions.
It saddens me (and probably many others) that people that try to do things we are asked not to are the ones that are prolonging the restrictions but cannot see it.

And there are other people, who when they don't want to answer a specific question, just rubbish the question or ask one of their own to avoid answering the specific question.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I think many have lost sight on the fact that all these restrictions on our freedom are based on a flawed PCR test. If you were issued with a fine for speeding when you knew you were well within the limit, and then a few months later it transpired that the speed camera was faulty, you you be ok with that.
Sure there are people dying of covid, but many that are down as covid deaths would have died anyway, without a covid positive test. Evidence is coming out that covid has been put on death certificates when covid was not the cause of death.
I am not a covid denier, but I do think we are being lied to. The psychological warfare has done its job on so much of the population. Please look at the evidence behind what the gov puts out.
Looks like a denier to me. The main evidence that is irrefutable is that from the ONS showing excess deaths in the population for that period of time. Or do you believe those numbers are a lie? What about all those who have died of covid without a test being carried out, of which there were many, due to our appalling testing regime in the first lockdown. I am prepared to accept that the government and our PM routinely lie to us, but do you actually believe that the medical profession are all complicit in some mega conspiracy ?
I mourn our loss of freedoms right now, but I also don't wish to be mourning someone I love who has succumbed to this dreadful disease.
If you want to get exercised about loss of personal freedoms, we have already lost so many that most of us valued on 1st of January, this current one at least has some benefit in that it aims to save lives.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Sounds fair. (Jim)

'Fair' means "applied equally to everyone", not "reasonable and proportional".

In Britain, in these times, with or without Covid, law that is fair hardly exists. The punishment, if any, depends on who you are.

"Getting back to normal": sounds good, eh? Please, everybody, don't hold your breath. The "new normal" is what we need to be thinking about and - sorry - it's not going to be pretty.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
It is sad that people are dying of covid, or suffering long term effects. However, it should not mean that the whole of society is shut down. Many many people are suffering terribly because of the restrictions. Are their lives worth less because they haven't got covid.
No, but they at least have their lives. Your blithe dismissal of the deaths of over 130, 000 people as 'sad' is breathtakingly callous and trite. We are all suffering in one way or another through this- I do not want to suffer the loss of someone I love. As for your previous post 're loss of personal freedoms, it would seem to me that death is the ultimate loss of personal freedom.... the rest of us have to tough it out until this passes.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
My MH is currently in storage with tax, mot and insurance all up to date. As I have just had my driveway done and now have space to keep it at home, I intended to take it out of storage next week and bring it here. It's about a 15 mile trip but not sure if I should do this as it is not exactly essential and I don't want to be seen as breaking the "spirit" of the law

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We have been full-time touring uk since we sold our house and most of our "stuff" in August 2019. Have managed to survive past and present lockdowns ok. Our hab survey is due within +/- 6 weeks of April 6th so have booked survey plus heating service and rectifying fault on cooker grill for April 14th, hoping that we will be allowed out to play by then. Until then, moho is staying put and we use our Aygo for essential travel - click and collect shopping and helping out our vulnerable daughter. Bought a cheap electric toaster when grill fault first developed but it's no good for cheese on toast as cheese keeps sliding off!
you can get toaster bags for toasted sandwiches

Reusable Toastabags 2 Pack - Tesco Groceries

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
I started a discussion a week or so ago about a similar matter & raised the question should /could I take my Hymer for its first service (due in January) to a garage 15 miles away. There were several reply's, but the main belief was that taking a vehicle to a pre-booked service was going to be OK in the eyes of the law. I did not get any response from Lowdhams, the supplier, who I believe are closed. I did get in touch with Fiat customer service in Italy, who were very helpful. They basically advised that the Fiat warranty expired at 2 years (the same time as the first service). They said the correct service history was important from a "good will" stand point if there was a subsequent fault on the van. Therefore I have postponed the service to a later date. As far as the Hab check, Hymer call it a 12 month leak test, there is a 6 month latitude period either before or after the due date. Hymer give you a inspection schedule to clarify when they fall due. Thus there are 2 good points here. 1 Fiat customer service is very helpful if you need help & guidance. 2 Hymer Hab check dates are flexible, I cannot say if other manufactures are the same.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
During the first lock down my van wouldn't start despite having solar panels so I gave it a jump start and took it for a short run to charge the battery. At the time we couldn't travel more than 5 miles from home here in Wales. I had not traveled two miles and had no intention of going much further when I got pulled over by plod. I explained why I was out and he told me to go straight home once the battery had a charge. This happened again 6 or 7 weeks later.
I've since had a Battery Master fitted and an EHU installed and thankfully my starter battery won't be damaged during this lock down (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Quite right. My motorhome has a fridge/freezer which makes it the most appropriate vehicle for the weekly shop. It also has a sink and hot running water which makes it the most covid-safe. I have also used it for work on site as it provides me with a place to have lunch, use the WC and wash my hands during the day without using shared facilities. The truth is the police are picking on vehicles such as sports cars and RV's, which they think look like leisure trips, implying that driving an RV or a sports car is reasonable grounds for suspecting an offence is being committed. But is it, or are they just being discriminatory? What do you think?
No there’re not. ;)

sennen523

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Rhos-on-Sea, Conwy, North
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Started 2007.
Hello All,

My Hymer was bought from Lowdhams in Huddersfield in 2016 & has a 6 year water ingress warranty and must have the Hymer damp check done ever year. I had to cancel 3 times last year because of various lockdowns, either in England or Wales (live in Wales). My next date is the 9th February 2021 and obviously will be cancelled again.

Lowdhams have tried really hard to get this done for me but Hymer have been very unhelpful. I've probably lost the warranty now through no fault of mine or Lowdhams. I did manage to get the Fiat service and MOT done locally OK, legally!!

Stay Safe Everyone.
Al.:cry:
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.
With 1 in 15 vehicles being driven in this country without insurance how many uninsured drivers passed by while the police were seeing to you? Hopefully common sense will prevail and your fines revoked. Clearly the police didn't show any common in this instance.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you for the warning. Looks as though I will be postponing my end of Feb service until end of March (assuming we are out of lockdown then).

If this is not fake news then one £200 fine would have been sufficient warning.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It's quite funny how people read posts and interpret them in their own way.

The first line of the OP states that it's not his vehicle but that he has copied the text from another forum!
Because I believe, especially on rather long posts like this one is, people jump in halfway through the post and skip read without really knowing what the original topic was and proceed to make inappropriate comments.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I think it might be nice if you kept your rather naive comments to yourself. This so called mild disease put my previously fit 60 year old friend in ITU for 3 months. He is miraculously home but has had to have a stair lift put in and who knows how well he will ever be. My 25 year old god daughter who had it in November and was a keen runner only seemed to have it mildly but is still breathless now.

Have you not been reading the news or are you a conspiracy theorist, long Covid is beginning to look like a serious problem for the nations health. We don’t know much about it yet and the poor NHS certainly doesn’t have any resourses to deal with it.

I wanted to use a different word to naive in the first line but I didn’t want Jim to send me to Coventry. It’s early in the morning and I am a bit angry.
My youngest son of 47 years of age is suffering with “long covid” since mid November with breathlessness. He is being investigated by the hospital as to why after all this time he is still suffering. IMO, this is not a mild disease but one that takes some mildly, some quite severe and some die so where the mild disease idea comes from I just cannot understand with all the daily deaths not comparable with SARS, Asian flu, etc. I look at my motorhome parked up outside longing to go but know that it is foolish to even think of going using it for its intended purpose. The recent times I have used it is in order to have the toilet facilities but only going a max of 5 miles from home.

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Reply from Lowdhams showing it wasn’t them he went to.

5904688F-451F-4559-80A4-6D59C3E4D920.jpeg

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
My aunt told me the other day that someone from largs decided to drive to falkirk. They were stopped and fined. Apparently they decided to continue on their journey as they were nearly there. Then they got stopped again and fined £2000. Personally I think Damon right. I people continue to break the rules thereby potentially spreading the virus, it affects the rest of us......as lockdowns are extended, people lossing their jobs and can't pay mortgages, kids not being able to go to school etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back